• Administrator
22 hours ago, Herkimer said:

Disliking Tiger makes one a racist?

I didn't say that.

21 hours ago, BallStriker said:

Beneath you.....

Nope. It was reality.

15 hours ago, Indy-Archer said:

It's the most over-played card in the deck. Many people claim racism or are called racist for absolutely no reason than they dislike a person who happens to don a different skin color. Yes, many people dislike Tiger. I have friends who don't like Tiger. I don't know a single person who dislikes him because of his skin color, and to throw in the word 'racist' without ANY additional indicator from a person is beyond the pale. 

I wasn't talking about those kind of people. I was talking about those who didn't like Tiger because he was (partially) black, or partially Asian, or whatever.

Racism was - and is - a very real reason why some don't like Tiger Woods.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/4/2019 at 11:38 PM, iacas said:

Ironically, I dislike Tiger for his choice to stay silent on racism.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, chspeed said:

He hasn't. He's spoken about it multiple times.

• https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6144311/Nike-athlete-Tiger-Woods-praises-controversial-new-Colin-Kaepernick-ad.html
  • He's openly spoken - and always has - about Lee Elder and his forefathers, so to speak, particularly at Augusta National.
  • He coined the phrase "cablinasian" because he's not just a black guy. His mother is mostly Thai.
  • He's talked about it within the context of his education programs, about minorities excelling and being given opportunities through the TWF.
  • His "Hello World" ad when he turned pro included "there are still courses in the U.S. that I am not allowed to play because of the color of my skin."

He's talked and dealt with racism on multiple occasions. Just because he doesn't go out of his way to talk about it doesn't mean he's "stayed silent" on it. What's he got to gain by talking about it? Especially when you consider that he's not 100% black (or even majority black)? While the issues facing Thai or Asian people in the U.S. overlap with those facing black people, they've still also got a lot of separate issues, too.

Plus, he's still competing. Though I suspect he won't, he may choose to become more active with this sort of thing after he's retired. Right now most of his energy goes toward competing, and raising his kids… not being political.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

...not being political.

I know we're, as a board, doing our best to stay away from political things, so I'll just say that his current actions are, for me, undoing a lot of the those good things you spoke about. It's just my opinion, and I respect yours.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, chspeed said:

I know we're, as a board, doing our best to stay away from political things, so I'll just say that his current actions are, for me, undoing a lot of the those good things you spoke about. It's just my opinion, and I respect yours.

I think playing with Trump is not about politics so much as it is simply respecting the office. Furthermore, virtually nothing in life (or politics) is "single issue." Tiger might care more about inheritance taxes than he does about racism politically, for all you know. And, also for all you know, he voiced some thoughts on racism TO Trump. By playing with Trump, he has an audience with Trump. Just as he's had with Clinton, the Bushes, and Obama.

But, look, you were wrong that he hasn't talked about racism. He's done so on many, many occasions. Publicly. Beyond that… you're making assumptions and inferences that may or may not hold any water.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 10:07 PM, iggywriter said:

I've honestly never been a fan of Rickie Fowler for whatever reason. He just rubs me the wrong way. Kuchar is probably the guy I'm loathing right now, with all the drama this season. 

Oh, poo....I hoped Rickie's name wouldn't come up.  He's one of my favorites. That being said, I have problems with Justin Rose. Not that it would be the same if I met him in person, but he seems somewhat arrogant or entitled when watching him on tv.

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

1 hour ago, chspeed said:

Or is it that he doesn't speak out about it the way YOU want:

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

On 5/4/2019 at 10:38 PM, iacas said:

I didn't say that.

Nope. It was reality.

I wasn't talking about those kind of people. I was talking about those who didn't like Tiger because he was (partially) black, or partially Asian, or whatever.

Racism is a very unfortunate sidelight in all human history.  I was raised by very non-bigoted parents in a racially mixed community.  The word 'Black' was descriptive, not definitive.  It only was used to describe a person like saying "the guy in the blue shirt", it did not make them different nor define character or ethnicity.  We were all humans, Americans, nothing more, nothing less.  Unfortunately the Liberal mind set using terms like African American, Asian American, Latino etc does define, highlight, and differentiate groups of humans, which does not help solve the issue.  Ignoring those who espouse their ignorance and treating all people the same will make the biggest and longest lasting impact. The way I was raised I truly believed in the 'Melting Pot' and that Americans would be a somewhat tan race by now.

• Like 1

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
One HIO....LUCK.

• Administrator

@metbid, that's getting too close to actual political talk.

(Though I appreciate the tone and content of the post.)

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I think playing with Trump

That's not what I was referring to, that didn't bother me. I'm referring to this evening's event.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

you're making assumptions and inferences that may or may not hold any water. 

I've been pretty careful not to make any assumptions at all. All is said that was to me, participation in tonight's event is a silence that makes me not like Tiger. I don't know what his actual stance on racism is, and frankly I don't care. This particular action speaks louder than words for me. I'm entitled to that opinion, just as you are yours. That is all. 🙂

Edited by chspeed

@icias sorry, I will be more circumspect, offense was definitely not my aim.

One HIO....LUCK.

On 4/21/2019 at 10:24 PM, David L Yskes said:

but he is no different from some hood rat that goes around sticking his pickle in every girl he meets ( while he is married ) ... except he has a lot of money

Right, only "hood rats" sleep around on their wives.  And DEFINITELY no one with money sleeps around. 

• Upvote 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

• Administrator
On 5/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, chspeed said:

I've been pretty careful not to make any assumptions at all. All is said that was to me, participation in tonight's event is a silence that makes me not like Tiger. I don't know what his actual stance on racism is, and frankly I don't care. This particular action speaks louder than words for me. I'm entitled to that opinion, just as you are yours. That is all. 🙂

What's he gonna do - turn down an award offered to him? On what grounds, and what's that got to do with racism, and the many comments he's already made about racism?

I'll allow a brief discussion of this topic, so long as we're talking about the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and not politics or Trump in general.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I'll allow a brief discussion of this topic, so long as we're talking about the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and not politics or Trump in general. 

Appreciate it. I'll pass through. For me, it's too hard to separate. 😐

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Appreciate it. I'll pass through. For me, it's too hard to separate. 😐

Look, you said you "dislike Tiger for his choice to stay silent on racism."

I pointed out that he hasn't done it, and you modify that to say (seemingly) that you dislike that he didn't speak out about racism while receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Oh geez. I'm glad we're done, because if you think that's the time and place to (not) "stay silent on racism," then I don't know what to tell you.

So, yeah, that's the end of the brief allowance for political talk.

My golf villains are everyone who beat Phil in the US Opens (that he finished 2nd in)

Except Payne Stewart-he was my original favorite when I was quite young. 

Poulter was always at the top of my hate list because I swore he sold his sole to the devil in exchange for Ryder Cup putts.  Those demonic eyes confirmed this!  But, after watching him on Feherty, I thought he would be a great guy to have a beer with.  On DJ...…. disliked him too until Joel Dahmen got paired with him in the final round during Joel's rookie season.  Joel had never been paired with a mega star before and he was obviously nervous.  DJ sensed this and went out of his way to be supportive to Joel and his caddie.  Thought this was very gracious of him and it definitely helped Joel get comfortable.

• 2 years later...
Screen-Shot-2022-03-05-at-3.31.38-PM.jpg

Rory Sabbatini, during the Arnold Palmer Invitational third round, withdrew with a knee injury, but...

Rory making some lemonade from a lemon of a week. Maybe he is mellowing out in his old age. Kinda strange but have to say it's cool. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.