Jump to content
Gipper

As Seen on TV - Good Gadget or Junk?

23 posts / 2786 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I am sorry if this already has been a collective thread.  I love watching golf on TV but the commercials are filled with clubs and gadgets that *will make me a better golfer.  

Has anyone ordered any of these items and which are junk and what if any can help?

Some examples:

Arm bands that keep your elbows close

square strike edge club

swing speed indicator club- super sonic

C3i wedge

glasses that help you find your ball in the rough

gloves that keep your wrist straight

That yellow metal bracket thingy

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

All of those are junk.
The only real technical advantage ever sold on TV is 
"THE HAMMER!" said in deep tv voice.

ALL other drivers are now obsolete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To this day I still love that infomercial!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

All of those are junk.
The only real technical advantage ever sold on TV is 
"THE HAMMER!" said in deep tv voice.

ALL other drivers are now obsolete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To this day I still love that infomercial!

I will have to YouTube that one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's my opinion that 95+% of the golf gadgets sold, to improve one's game are pretty much worthless. 

The aspiring golfer is better off buying a few good  books on the golf swing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, treebound said:

The Hammer “BOOM”

My all time favorite. I can't get enough of THE HAMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

IMO, junk. The only thing I think helps is a pair of alignment sticks for the range and those you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes, (those red sticks you put in the ground to mark your driveway or walkway when it snows), really cheap. Although with my index maybe I should try them all, LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Gipper said:

I am sorry if this already has been a collective thread.  I love watching golf on TV but the commercials are filled with clubs and gadgets that *will make me a better golfer.  

Has anyone ordered any of these items and which are junk and what if any can help?

Some examples:

Arm bands that keep your elbows close

square strike edge club

swing speed indicator club- super sonic

C3i wedge

glasses that help you find your ball in the rough

gloves that keep your wrist straight

That yellow metal bracket thingy

 

 

 

 

 

I wouldn't buy any of that stuff...........

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All that stuff catches golfers like fishing lures catch fish....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Virtually all gadgets are junk.

But not all.

“But not alll”??????😳

What gadget not in my bag is keeping me from happiness?! 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A buddy of mine actually bought The Hammer! We were playing one time, and he was inconsistent with the club. I asked to hit it and just flat killed one! Any other shot I hit with it went nowhere. It was the most unforgiving Driver I've ever hit! After a half season of frustration trying to hit the thing, he left the Hammer in the open bed of a pickup as we were leaving the course, and wished the new owner luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

After a half season of frustration trying to hit the thing, he left the Hammer in the open bed of a pickup as we were leaving the course, and wished the new owner luck!

If that was my truck I'd be pissed someone used the bed as a dumpster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

A buddy of mine actually bought The Hammer! We were playing one time, and he was inconsistent with the club. I asked to hit it and just flat killed one! Any other shot I hit with it went nowhere. It was the most unforgiving Driver I've ever hit! After a half season of frustration trying to hit the thing, he left the Hammer in the open bed of a pickup as we were leaving the course, and wished the new owner luck!

Read this, and it reminded me of friend who actually made a putter using a smallish ball peen hammer head. As I recall he actually putted pretty well with it. The "Hammer Putter" if you will. Plus, he didn't even have to yell "POW" when he used it. 

Edited by Patch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:24 AM, Buckeyebowman said:

A buddy of mine actually bought The Hammer! We were playing one time, and he was inconsistent with the club. I asked to hit it and just flat killed one! Any other shot I hit with it went nowhere. It was the most unforgiving Driver I've ever hit! After a half season of frustration trying to hit the thing, he left the Hammer in the open bed of a pickup as we were leaving the course, and wished the new owner luck!

The club only functions correctly if you shout either WHAM, BOOM or POW with every shot. Having Jack Ham hair style also gives you and extra 50 yards. :-P

If you just want to look like a complete berk without spending the money you can just shout WHAM and POW on the course with a standard driver (Jack Ham hair optional).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, RussUK said:

The club only functions correctly if you shout either WHAM, BOOM or POW with every shot. Having Jack Ham hair style also gives you and extra 50 yards. :-P

If you just want to look like a complete berk without spending the money you can just shout WHAM and POW on the course with a standard driver (Jack Ham hair optional).

I've sometimes wondered when golfers would begin grunting when making swings like the tennis people do. God forbid! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think KA-POW and BAM also will work. As for the Hammer Putter, you only yell when you drop it on your toe.

Edited by AlDena

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I've sometimes wondered when golfers would begin grunting when making swings like the tennis people do. God forbid! 

My 11 year old daughter yells BaBa Booey when she hits the ball at the driving range.  🤦🏼‍♂️ Sadly I had to have a talk with her before the BMW Championship to let her know not to yell that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2019 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
  • Posts

    • That may be true, but the average amateur is unlikely to be better than 45% from a 140 yards.  And the pro can probably hit the same club or at worst one iron longer from the 200 yards in.  Most amateurs are hitting like an 8 iron or so from 140 and the pro can probably manage with a 7 iron from 200.  The pro is definitely better with a 7 iron than an amateur with an 8 iron. The reason the pro is better from 140 than 200 is probably because they are hitting a PW rather than say a 7 iron
    • You see this in other sports.   Anybody can coach great talent but it takes a good coach to get the best out of each and every player.
    • I may be a bit unfair to these coaches so I’ll admit that up front. But what I tend to believe is that many of these coaches that ‘got their name in the lights’ really lucked into it for the most part. They’ve taught hundreds of people before and nobody knew who they were. Now that definitely doesn’t define their level of quality. Not at all. But when a coach happens to score a player who is super talented and has the ‘it’ factor I can’t help believe that player was going to make waves regardless of his coach. Hank Haney got the majority of his notoriety from coaching Tiger. So did Sean Foley as did McCormick from Spieth. From the years of being on this thread I firmly believe Erik is every bit as good and better (Hank Haney) than these guys. I will agree that McCormick is a good coach as I’ve been told this by respectable people who are in the know. I just don’t think he’s anything so special that Spieth needs to remain with him.  At least not now. He needs renovation, not tweaking. I’d never heard of him before Spieth came to the stage and now he’s on commercials and pumps out dvd’s as an all time best instructor.  I think the talent of these golfers played a much bigger role in their success than the coaching they received from these guys. Just my opinion.
    • You know what I'm talking about.  That hole that eats your lunch every time you face it.  It may not even be a tough hole, but for some reason you can't seem to score well.   Mine is the opening hole on the Gold Course at Martin County Golf and Country Club.  It's a long par 5 dogleg left.  There's water halfway down, huge greenside bunkers, and several well-placed trees to punish any attempt at cutting the corner off the tee.  The rough slopes away steeply the whole way down the right side, often kicking your ball into the woods.  A bogey is my standard score.  I feel like I'm automatically going to be down a stroke right out of the gate. I've been playing that course since I was 12.  I'm 42 now.  Today, I reached the green in two for the first time in my life, then made birdie.  I couldn't believe it! Below are some short vids of me on my way to finally conquering this beast.  I'd love to hear about your trials with your nemesis hole.   And then the 3-wood, high draw to the green:    
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. 3PuttsAsUsual
      3PuttsAsUsual
      (48 years old)
    2. Big_in_Belgium
      Big_in_Belgium
      (40 years old)
    3. Finman
      Finman
      (26 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...