IGNORED

What Does Winter Golf Look Like to You?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So we have the Winter Depression thread and the Best Place to Live for Year Round Golf thread. I think we should have a “what does winter golf look like to you” thread. Post about what its like to play golf in the winter months in your hometown, post pictures of your winter golf vacations, heck post pictures of you local course covered in snow. Let’s celebrate winter as we wait anxiously for spring to come.

I’ll start, In Albuquerque we can and do play year round but at 5000 feet in elevation we still have winter. Have you ever played golf hitting your approach shots into a rock hard frozen solid green? It’s a ton of fun to watch your ball land 3 feet from the pin only to bounce 12 feet in the air and end up 15 yards over the green. You have to learn to land everything short of the green and let it roll up until they thaw.  Driving the ball is great though as the fairways provide an abundance of roll not normally available in the summer. I am not complaining though on occasion its beautiful, just last Saturday I played in shorts and short sleeves. The greens weren’t even frozen!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Houston winters are pretty short lived. I play year round and managed to play 3 times both in December and January (which for me is pretty darn good). The only reason I haven't played this month is work. Its nearly 80 degrees outside lol...

The only downside is that Houston is generally wet, and if we don't get a lot of sun (just heavily overcast) in the winters it can stay that way for awhile. I don't think I have played a "dry" round of Golf in the Houston area since late September. 

Planning on playing Monday if the rain stays away!!

To me, winter golf looks a lot like spring, summer and fall golf. Here is a picture from two weeks ago...

20190125_090032.thumb.jpg.af6970c135487f18187455b18726262c.jpg

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

I just finished 9 holes in sunny, 40 degree weather, with no wind to speak of. That's kind of the norm around here. 

If I wanted to drive 90 miles south, I might have played in mid 60s degree  sunny weather. Maybe even in the low 70s. 

Essentially, as long as the wind is not strong enough , that it would bring the wind chill factor into play, we have pretty good golfing weather in the winter months. 

Also, since the area is so spread out, one part of the area might be considered non-playable, while another area, just a few miles away,  might have great winter playing conditions.

All in all, l feel safe saying that  from December 1st to February 28th (29th) 95% of those days are decent, or better to play/practice golf in. The other 5% is probably playable some where in the area. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

14 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Winter golf in the Frigid Mitten involves finding an open course, dressing in layers and accepting sub-optimal conditions.

One won't get much roll in the fairwayIMG_2428.JPG

Casual "water" can be an issueIMG_2429.JPG

And the greens will have some loose impedimentsIMG_2430.JPG

Digging your ball out of a bad lie can require a bit of club cleaningIMG_2435.JPG

Unless it is snowing, the courses can look very playableIMG_2432.JPG

And you run the risk of running into some crazy old guy wandering around on the course.IMG_2433.JPG

[Photos taken 2/5/2019 at Huron Hills Golf Course, Ann Arbor, MI]

Some ball manufacturer needs to make an ATGB for your type of winter golf. (All Terrain Golf Ball)

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Winter golf for me:

139A960C-7A28-4E4A-8489-76D8DE60613E.thumb.png.cec59ded696989ffaaefdf9f17c97b38.png

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

you might want to ban the california/ arizona/ florida members for fear of getting beat up by other members.  As crappy as California is we are very lucky when it comes to sports.  yea early tee times are a little chilly but for the most part even our really cold days are still 50+ degrees.:dance:

I feel for all you guys/ girls that really deal with a true winter.:no:

I can describe what this winter's golf looks like in a single word. Nonexistent! 

We do have courses that will stay open year round if conditions are playable. I think I've played golf in every month of the year at one time or another. This year? Ain't hapnin'! 

4 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Winter golf in the Frigid Mitten involves finding an open course, dressing in layers and accepting sub-optimal conditions.

One won't get much roll in the fairwayIMG_2428.JPG

Casual "water" can be an issueIMG_2429.JPG

And the greens will have some loose impedimentsIMG_2430.JPG

Digging your ball out of a bad lie can require a bit of club cleaningIMG_2435.JPG

Unless it is snowing, the courses can look very playableIMG_2432.JPG

And you run the risk of running into some crazy old guy wandering around on the course.IMG_2433.JPG

[Photos taken 2/5/2019 at Huron Hills Golf Course, Ann Arbor, MI]

And to think my wife wants to move back there, great pictures!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Winter golf looks the same as Spring or Fall golf here. Except for February when we seem to get most of our rain. Not as hot as the summer, usually between high 60s and low 80s.

15 hours ago, NM Golf said:

So we have the Winter Depression thread and the Best Place to Live for Year Round Golf thread. I think we should have a “what does winter golf look like to you” thread. Post about what its like to play golf in the winter months in your hometown, post pictures of your winter golf vacations, heck post pictures of you local course covered in snow. Let’s celebrate winter as we wait anxiously for spring to come.

I’ll start, In Albuquerque we can and do play year round but at 5000 feet in elevation we still have winter. Have you ever played golf hitting your approach shots into a rock hard frozen solid green? It’s a ton of fun to watch your ball land 3 feet from the pin only to bounce 12 feet in the air and end up 15 yards over the green. You have to learn to land everything short of the green and let it roll up until they thaw.  Driving the ball is great though as the fairways provide an abundance of roll not normally available in the summer. I am not complaining though on occasion its beautiful, just last Saturday I played in shorts and short sleeves. The greens weren’t even frozen!

We can play into December in Mass and there are a couple of courses that will stay open weather permitting. Hitting a rock hard green is hilarious. PONG! If you dress with loose clothing and wear gloves, it can be bearable even down to 30, but sunny days are better than cloudy with wind.

13 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Winter golf for me:

139A960C-7A28-4E4A-8489-76D8DE60613E.thumb.png.cec59ded696989ffaaefdf9f17c97b38.png

You're a mean, mean man! :-P

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Winter golf? It’s a bit of a mixed bag here. Occasional frost delays, suffering through 40-50 deg mornings with 60-80 deg afternoons. Cart path only with the rains we’ve had at times. I really don’t know why we bother. 

D7216B86-CF31-4153-9D6A-AA3076F749FE.jpeg

Normally my winter golf looks a lot like the pictures that @bkuehn1952 posted. Good job on that by the way.

The city courses here stay open all year depending on the weather, but they send 90% of the maintenance crews home. Things definitely get a bit rough, but at that point it's just great to be outside and whacking a few. 

Most winters we get a handful of days in the 40s or even 50s with no snow on the floor. This winter, however, has been a total bust. We keep going between bone-chilling temperatures and torrential rain. Hit 60 degrees yesterday but poured. Now it's 20 degrees and the weekend isn't going to be much better. Haven't hit a ball since Jan. 2.

13 minutes ago, chilepepper said:

Winter golf? It’s a bit of a mixed bag here. Occasional frost delays, suffering through 40-50 deg mornings with 60-80 deg afternoons. Cart path only with the rains we’ve had at times. I really don’t know why we bother. 

:fu

Just slightly jealous.

Edited by bkuehn1952
Add a little something
  • Like 1

Brian Kuehn

AD281727-04F2-43FE-B7F7-DF2F31EB6412.thumb.png.ca5b775023ff39f287bd6647535431bb.pngNot warm like Florida...raining Sunday.

Frost in the morning 

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This is just my 2nd winter here so not sure what is typical, but December through February there are lots of 40's and low 50's days (and occasional 30's and 60's) with LOTS of rain.  Fairways tend to be soaked.  Most holes that require a drive play 20-30 yards longer.  Most courses go cart path only.  Everything is brown as the Bermuda goes dormant.  Greens are quite fast due to the dormant Bermuda.  But I played 6 times in January and twice last weekend.  In 9 NJ winters I think I played there in January and February a total of one round and it was quite cold.

• Upvote 1

Looks something like this...........

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Note: This thread is 894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!