IGNORED

Saying Hello And Question on my 70-degree Wedge

rmeron
Note: This thread is 1888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Welcome!

i didn’t know there was such a thing as a 70 degree wedge! 

Id say a proper answer would include addressing what your goal was with that club. How are your other wedges confugured, and what do you feel is missing from your arsenal. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My best tip on using  68-72 degree wedges is that there is no room in an amateur 's bag for such an untamed animal. Those things pure evil.

To me, those higher lofted wedges are just a novelty item. They were initially made to drive the golfer using one nuts. I have seen pro, scratch golfers who couldn't hit these critters. 

Seriously, with any wedge, the best advice I was ever given was to not be afraid to swing it. Total confidence is the key. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Sell it

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Don't sell it, give it to someone you dislike and enjoy watching them in misery...

Edited by Club Rat
  • Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I have a 64 wedge. Bought on a whim too, five bucks at muni. They can be fun but......like mentioned before, they are evil clubs. 

My highest loft is 60, and it took a little practice to get somewhat ok with it at various yardages

• Administrator

Don't sell it. Nobody should really buy it. It's a novelty item.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree, very hard club to hit with that high of a degree, I would suspect.  Highest I have is a 60º and it took me quite some time (about 7 mos.) before I felt fairly comfortable with it.  I am still a bit conservative using it, too, because I do not use a full swing with it.). If you really want to use it, plan on a long time before you can use it with purpose at all.  Sorry.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

1 minute ago, rmeron said:

I bought it on-line. My P wedge is 54. I thought I could use it close to the green for pop-ups. I guess I'll keep playing with it. Can't hurt my game anymore than it already is.

Your PW is 54? You mean Sand Wedge? Cuz it sounds like an interesting set you have. What's your driver...30 degrees?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

29 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Your PW is 54? You mean Sand Wedge? Cuz it sounds like an interesting set you have. What's your driver...30 degrees?

Sorry, I mis-quoted. I think my PW is 52 and my driver is 10.5 degrees. I have a mis-match of clubs from Tour Edge, Cobra and Taylor Made. At my age and health I don't think an expensive set of clubs is going to help. I did have my Tour Edge irons fitted when I bought them.

22 minutes ago, rmeron said:

Sorry, I mis-quoted. I think my PW is 52 and my driver is 10.5 degrees. I have a mis-match of clubs from Tour Edge, Cobra and Taylor Made. At my age and health I don't think an expensive set of clubs is going to help. I did have my Tour Edge irons fitted when I bought them.

Again welcome.

You might enjoy threads like this one:

There’s another for breaking 90, in case you’re at that level. All sorts of golfers here and folks willing to share their experiences and lessons learned along the way.

For what it’s worth on this topic:

I think most are telling you to consider losing the 70-degree club in your garage for the season, but hey, it’s your choice, man. Maybe you’ll get lucky and find some crazy tip that works for you, but overall, the site here is mostly about sound fundamentals. I’m picking up in the responses so far that use of that club around the green isn’t something high handicappers should be messing with. But let us know how it goes.

• Informative 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• RandallT changed the title to Saying Hello And Question on my 70-degree Wedge
8 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Don't sell it, give it to someone you dislike and enjoy watching them in misery...

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA! That is deliciously subversive! 

My buddy had one of these goofy wedges. I grabbed it one time and soled it. It looked like a ball hit with it would strike me in my left eye! His came in handy one time, and one time only. He was at some outing that also featured various "skills challenges". One of them was a pitch of about 25-30 yards to an elevated green. That was all the farther he could hit that stupid club, so he pulled it from the bag and won the challenge! 

I once had a 64° wedge, I broke it over my knee in the middle of a round, it's the best thing I ever did for my short game. I would suggest you find the deepest, darkest lake on your course and throw it in. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Don't sell it, It could be quite a weapon. 

Not a scoring weapon of course, but you use it on the next guy who says "Drive for show, putt for dough". Or "Does your husband play golf too?" 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Is there really a 70 degree wedge?  No pictures = imaginary 😁

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 1888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!