IGNORED

2019 Newport Cup at The Arroyo Club, Sponsored by VUGA

iacas
Note: This thread is 1700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 2/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, HJJ003 said:

Man I hope to be good enough for this one day. 

Same here!

On 3/2/2019 at 7:35 PM, iacas said:

newport_cup_2019.png Sign up even if you're not entirely sure if you will be able to play!

If I am reading the criteria correctly, single digits aren't strictly needed for the 2019 competition, but I feel 12+ might be pushing it a bit.  

On the other hand, if I'm wrong about this, I can make qualifying for this my 2019 golf goal.  

I'm going to think about this.  Maybe I can.

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, mchepp said:

I threw my hat in the ring. If I am honest I would rather see some of the other folks on here get to play in it. It is such a blast that everyone who wants a shot should absolutely get one. I'll do the work to get my submission in, but I'm hopeful there are tons of worthy candidates and I can enjoy seeing some of the other great members on here get a chance to play. 

That said, I may still go for a day to watch. It is such a great competition that I may come just to watch, take photos, post what's happening on the site. Like @RandallT did in 2017. Vegas is an easy flight. 

That's a really good point, and I have to say that I'm really grateful for all the photos @RandallT took (including my current profile pic!). It was a great way of documenting the action since I personally am not somebody who takes photos all that often, and in total I have 7 photos that I actually took myself from the event with 3 of them being the llamas from Talamore next to the teebox. It's fun to go back every so often and scroll through the photo album to enjoy the memory again.

• Like 2

Ha, I do the same thing every 6 months or so. It's really awesome to have all of those pictures to look back on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 hours ago, Pretzel said:

That's a really good point, and I have to say that I'm really grateful for all the photos @RandallT It's fun to go back every so often and scroll through the photo album to enjoy the memory again.

I mean I know I had that one hole out, but I remember most that one greenside pitch from the crap and perfectly hit above the bunker. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2 hours ago, Shindig said:

If I am reading the criteria correctly, single digits aren't strictly needed for the 2019 competition, but I feel 12+ might be pushing it a bit.  

If you can qualify then I can qualify and, on the off chance we both get selected, we will become good friends after playing against each other every single match 😉

• Like 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

If I don't start getting my swing in order, I fear I may not qualify. It is in shambles right now...

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• 3 weeks later...

Just read most of thread, first time actually looking at the event. I thought it was just a random tournament for TSTers. I'm skeptical that I can get time to participate, but I will bring it up w/ my better half to see if there's even a chance.

This thing looks like a blast.  Really fantastic event you guys put on @iacas and @mvmac!

If there is any doubt, sign up anyways. You wont regret it. First class golf trip. The tournament aspect of it is for fun, but the main part is just hanging out with people you are golf nuts like you from all over the country. I have been fortunate to play some nice places with some TST members throughout the country when traveling for work. TST also members come down to Florida in the winter and I drive all over just to play with like minded people. Again, if you're lucky enough to get selected, its a very fair cost and for the amount of golf you get and the people you get to play with make it all worth it.

• Like 2

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I'll second the idea of definitely applying, even if you aren't certain about it (just let them know about the uncertainty so you can be one of the later picks if they follow the same format as last time). It was a fantastic deal for the quality of the lodging and golf, and just an overall blast with the competitive atmosphere combined with putting faces and names to the "other" faces/names you see regularly online.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bones75 said:

Just read most of thread, first time actually looking at the event. I thought it was just a random tournament for TSTers. I'm skeptical that I can get time to participate, but I will bring it up w/ my better half to see if there's even a chance.

This thing looks like a blast.  Really fantastic event you guys put on @iacas and @mvmac!

I'll pile on, the Newport Cup is one of the best golf-related events I've ever been a part of.  @mvmac and @iacas have organized great competitions, picked great locations, and selected outstanding people (if you leave yours truly out of the equation, at least).  If last time is any indication, just going through the application process is a lot of fun, and gives us each a chance to learn a bit about a bunch of other TST members.  Please give it some thought, I know you'd have a blast if it works out for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 6:48 PM, phillyk said:

I mean I know I had that one hole out, but I remember most that one greenside pitch from the crap and perfectly hit above the bunker. 

I most remember watching you go for the green on #2 at Mid South on the second day (and maybe in the singles too??).  That was fun to watch. :)

Anybody on the fence about applying, just go for it - you won't regret it!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I most remember watching you go for the green on #2 at Mid South on the second day (and maybe in the singles too??).  That was fun to watch. 🙂

For reference, this is the view from the tee on the hole @Golfingdad is talking about:

nc2017-067.jpg

I added the giant red arrow that shows where the green was when you were standing on the tee. You had to hit it directly over the house there, and when @DeadMan and I were on the tee in this photo there were people sitting out on the patio of that house watching us - talk about pressure to not screw up the shot over the house! It was definitely high-risk, but was fun to make a run at it for sure.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:48 PM, phillyk said:

The greenside pitch I remember the most was when we were playing together and your approach for the alternate shot went long over the green on #13 from that awkward mound I put the tee shot into (photo below). Just a crazy flier from what looked like a buried lie, neither of us expected it to go long like that. Then I got lucky and holed out the pitch shot, but we couldn't even catch a break since @NCGolfer sank the East team's birdie putt anyways!

nc2017-059.jpg

These photos were taken by @RandallT who provided excellent photography of the entire event. I strongly encourage everyone who's even remotely interested in playing (and even those who aren't!) to check out the full album of his photos here to see some of the fun!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my goodness, this looks like fun.
Are there dates on this yet?
I probably need to go get myself a candidate badge right?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

7 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I haven't seen anything specific on the dates yet, the last thing I remember was "mid to late October".  If you have any interest, you really should start the process.  @iacas gave instructions here:

Good luck!

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Add it yourself yeah.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 4/24/2019 at 2:23 PM, iacas said:

Add it yourself yeah.

Well, I tried to add myself as a candidate, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I click on Eastern Team Candidate and it just sits there. I can click over and over and nothing seems to happen. I assume I'm doing something wrong, but not sure what it is.

18 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Well, I tried to add myself as a candidate, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I click on Eastern Team Candidate and it just sits there. I can click over and over and nothing seems to happen. I assume I'm doing something wrong, but not sure what it is.

Click on New Award, and enter your screen name when the next box pops up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

58 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Click on New Award, and enter your screen name when the next box pops up.

Ah, I knew it. I'm a moron. Thanks for the instruction, Dave

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!