IGNORED

Over/Under On Improvement In 1 Month

bones75
Note: This thread is 1835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Over under on my buddy's improvement in 1 month  

53 members have voted

1. 1. My buddy thinks he can improve 10 strokes in one month.

• I'm taking the over - he'll improve at least 10 strokes.
    • I'm taking the under - he'll improve less than 10 strokes.

20 minutes ago, chilepepper said:

I voted under but.....be careful. He might already have the game.......and is fixing to sandbag you

That is exactly what I thought. 

My guess is he's already improved and he's setting a trap for you.

By the way, not that it matters but "he'll improve less than 10 strokes" is incorrect. It should be fewer than 10 strokes. Less is amount, fewer is a number. Teehee, don't you hate people who act like grammar police online?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, klineka said:

My thoughts are the exact opposite. 

Player A - above average ball striker for his handicap. short game and putting are his weaknesses.

Player B - below average ball striker for his handicap, short game and putting are his strengths.

Which of these two players is going to have an easier time dropping 10 strokes in 30 days? Obviously player A.

You can make improvements in short game much much quicker than you can in ball striking/full swing, especially if short game was your glaring weakness.

Don't understand what you are saying - if short game improvements are easier why would Player A be better equipped to improve 10 strokes.  If someone is above average ball striker and average short game (most 8-10 handicaps are not overly deficient in either), after 5 years off it is going to be hard to get back where you were.  Whereas if you were an average ball striker and above average short game, much easier to get back to what you used to do.

In the case of Player A, I'd also be concerned about body fatigue over practicing.

1 minute ago, gbogey said:

In the case of Player A, I'd also be concerned about body fatigue over practicing.

I have less energy now that I take fewer vitamins

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

5 minutes ago, gbogey said:

if short game improvements are easier why would Player A be better equipped to improve 10 strokes.  

Because in my hypothetical scenario, since short game is a glaring weakness of Player A, he would be able to drop a lot of strokes really quickly by improving his short game since it was so bad to begin with.

Player B already has a solid short game, so the only way he is going to be able to lower his score is by changing his full swing, which takes a long time and a lot of practice and is much harder to accomplish.

8 minutes ago, gbogey said:

Why would you be concerned about body fatigue and over practicing for Player A? It takes a lot less physical effort for Player A to chip and putt for 2 hours than it does to hit full iron and driver shots for 2 hours (what player B would be doing to improve his ball striking)

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Lots of variables as said above, if from 115 to 105, better chances, but 95 to 85 ish, tougher. I'd warn against too much practice and then an RSI and can't play at ll.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

What y'alls are forgetting is that any improvements made are instantly negated once a golf trip is started. This applies to errybody including the OP.

• Upvote 2

Colin P.

So betting is closed.  He's in it for $200 on his own.  Prob not a fair bet, but he makes good coin and I think he's taking this as something to motivate.

To answer a few questions, his short game was 100% his strength.  Dude used to get up and down from anywhere. His long game is just ok, he was carrying prob about 230-240 last few years. And honestly, last few years he would still hit a lot of pars and some birds too, but his scorecard would also have a bunch of quad+'s. I swear last year he was hitting 5 from the teebox like at least once per round.

So I bet with him, but it was more of me picking which team to root for. I figure in a month's time he'll at least be able to stop the 2-ob's from the tee mistake, which is 4 strokes right there.  And the rest he can makeup with some improvements across the board.

9 hours ago, colin007 said:

What y'alls are forgetting is that any improvements made are instantly negated once a golf trip is started. This applies to errybody including the OP.

Y’all is already plural.  The “s” is unnecessary and grammatically incorrect.

Damn Yankees!  :-)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 2/10/2019 at 8:44 PM, bones75 said:

One of the guys was like an 8-10 index from 2008-2013.

I would bet under 10, however a lot depends on the rating and slope of the courses/tees you play from. An 8 handicap can average low 80's on easier courses, so if he gets back to where he was with a month to practice and you play fairly easy courses, he could win. However, the best laid plans...

8 hours ago, David in FL said:

I worked with a bunch of country boys, they told me "y'alls" is the contraction of "alls a youse" and has been officially lexified. 😋

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

8 hours ago, David in FL said:

Typical geographically challenged Southerner. A 'Yankee' first referred to someone from New England. Albany can only see New England across the Hudson. :-P

And to add insult to injury, to folks across the pond, you are a Yank too!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

No chance. 5 strokes of improvement in 1 month would be incredible. 10 it´s imposible, and even harder if his 1 month training isn´t a proper one.  

All in on under 10 shots of improvement, i guess it would be around 3 strokes.  

On 2/10/2019 at 7:44 PM, bones75 said:

I have a golf trip w/ 7 buddies in early april. One of the guys was like an 8-10 index from 2008-2013.  Since then he's gradually stopped playing (like 2 outings in 2018), and shoots 96 on average for the last 2-3 years.

He happens to have an entire month free right before our trip. He says he will (and i believe him) be playing or practicing that entire month.  He thinks he can average 86 on the trip (10 strokes scoring avg improvement).  This has quickly turned into huge action in our group. At least $500 already in play, and split evenly so far.  He's late 40's, pretty athletic, and in great shape. We'll be playing Torrey Pines on the final round and 2 muni "easier scoring" courses before that.

Any thought on where I should put my money?  Half of me think it'll be ez for him to get back into his old form, and half of me thinks it'll be impossible. Don't expect u guys to have the right answers w/o knowing him or the details, but would be interested in any related stories you may have heard of.

This is what I realized while trying to improve. No penalty Strokes, they kill your score. If he was a 8-10 means he had a good short game. So if he gets that feel back, it's possible. Good luck to him!

59 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

No chance. 5 strokes of improvement in 1 month would be incredible. 10 it´s imposible, and even harder if his 1 month training isn´t a proper one.  

All in on under 10 shots of improvement, i guess it would be around 3 strokes.   

Going from 96 to 86 in a month definitely isn't impossible, depending on his weaknesses. If it were going from 86 to 76, then yeah, that's nearly impossible.

You're right, though, if he's just beating balls for a month, he's not going to see much improvement. He has to do this the right way to even have a shot at all.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I would guess he is sandbagging you if he says he can improve 10 strokes in a month.  I had nearly a year off and took a 5 stroke deficit to my hcap. 2 years later and I've only gotten 1 or 2 back, although I am playing tougher courses and conditions

Note: This thread is 1835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!