IGNORED

How Much Should You Pay For A Putter?

Note: This thread is 1892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How expensive was your putter when you got it?   

46 members have voted

1. 1. How expensive was your putter when you got it?

• Less than $50.00 USD
    • $50.00 to $100.00 USD
    • $101.00 to $150.00 USD
    • $151.00 to $200.00 USD
    • $201.00 to $250.00 USD
    • $251.00 to $300.00 USD
    • $301.00 to $350.00 USD
    • $350.00 to $400.00 USD
    • Over $400.00 USD

Okay, so I was having a conversation at our sales meeting the other day. We were discussing putters. I was in the vast majority of folks whose putter was purchased for less than 50 bucks. I have a Nike Counterflex, S1-12 Putter. Which when it came out was above 200 bucks, but after Nike stopped making clubs I scooped it up on clearance for $49.95. I'm perfectly happy with it. Actually, I kind of wish I would have bought two. 

Anyway, gist of the story is, A couple of guys were saying you'll spend $500 on a driver, which you maybe use for 15% of your shots, but not on a putter which you use for 40% of your shots. 

Anyhow, I refrained from saying I actually didn't spend $500 on a driver, it's beside the point. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Okay, so I was having a conversation at our sales meeting the other day. We were discussing putters. I was in the vast majority of folks whose putter was purchased for less than 50 bucks. I have a Nike Counterflex, S1-12 Putter. Which when it came out was above 200 bucks, but after Nike stopped making clubs I scooped it up on clearance for $49.95. I'm perfectly happy with it. Actually, I kind of wish I would have bought two. 

Anyway, gist of the story is, A couple of guys were saying you'll spend $500 on a driver, which you maybe use for 15% of your shots, but not on a putter which you use for 40% of your shots. 

Anyhow, I refrained from saying I actually didn't spend $500 on a driver, it's beside the point. 

Did you think to tell them that you could make pretty much all of the 3 footers with your driver, which might add somewhere between 8 and 15 more strokes to the driver total, and drop the putter strokes under 20?  

Anyway, I think my putter was probably around $125 when my wife got it for me 12 or 13 years ago.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

The putter I used for over 20 years (Zone 1) cost me $30. It was recently damaged, beyond repair. I replace it with another 20 year old putter (Heavy Putter) I purchased on clearance (store closing)  for around $60, I think. I putt vey well with it. Maybe even better than the Zone 1.  

I also have another $300 putter (S Cameron) that I can't putt well with. Go figure. It was a gift so........

My point is , price has nothing to do with playability when it comes to any golf club. Maybe in the prestige dept if snything. 

On another note, my high quality, custom made, and fitted component 10.5  driver, cost me $149. No $500 drivers for me. The ectra $350 does not buy anything extra. Certainly doesn't save me strokes. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I've purchase a beginner set when i started playing golf (John Daly starter set), changed my driver and iron since then but still have the putter that was in the kit. I putt decently with it so I haven't noticed any big difference when trying expensive putter at golf town so I don't see why i'll change it.

I should pay just as much as is necessary to get the one that works best for me.  Not a penny more.  

Whether that’s $30 or $300.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator

I didn't pay the cost, as a fitter, but my Edel putter would have cost just over $400, shipping and tax and everything included.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have an Edel putter. Can’t remember exact price but I believe between $350-400. I love it.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I had a starter set putter for the longest time and i have been upgraded my clubs for the past year or so since I have gotten into golfing more. I just picked a practically new STX putter on facebook marketplace and i paid $20, from what I have found online it was probably around a $100 putter when STX was making them. I grew up playing lacrosse (and still do) so the STX brand is cool in my eyes as they are one of the biggest lacrosse equipment companies on the market. From what i have read online STX putters were made very well and even some pros used them. I look forward to using it this coming year. 

I dunno. Ive had several expensive Scotty Camerons and such, but ive been using a $100 odyssey i got off eBay for the last 7-8 years.. The Camerons are just collecting dust. Price or even quality has nothing to do with how good a putter works for you, IMO. One of the best putters ive ever personally met uses a really annoying sounding Ping he got a flea market back in the 80's for 10 bucks. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

yikes! My Ping Ketsch retails for around $300, working at a golf course I paid less than half that amount for it. My driver retails for around $400. Drivers cost more and are more important to your game than a putter.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

To raise money for The First Tee, my instructor sold some used putters.   I got an older 2-ball that I absolutely love.   I previously was fitted for a Ping Karsten but it sits at home collecting dust.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Whatever gets the ball in the hole. I have 3 putters right now. Two Scottys and a TaylorMade Rossa with some substantial modifications for weighting. I always default to the Scotty Studio Stainless because I love the look behind the ball and the feel is good. Also have a Scotty Am Classic Bullseye which I love but don't use as much even though it's my favorite to putt with. I can justify the price on a Scotty however because at the end of the day, a traditional shaped Scotty in good condition holds it's value better than any other club in golf without a doubt.

Which putter?
I can't vote because my current collection is 5 - 2 that I use on the course, a couple of leftover from HS and college years and one that was given to me.

So my answer would be between $0 and $150 (but that $150 was a while ago)

Players play, tough players win!

$150 for my main mallet putter, my other one was a gift from Canadian Club, so $0.  And I can do well with both!

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

£35 for my Cleveland Smartsquare in a sale.

As to how much you should pay, i think it's whatever you feel comfortable paying.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 1892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!