Stillhacken

Should I Lower Driver Loft?

12 posts / 622 viewsLast Reply

I drove an hour and 40 minutes to hit on a launch monitor on Sat. Just throwing that in there so you know I dont have easy access to a club fitter or launch monitor.

My driver im using is an SLDR 12 degree adjusted to 10 degrees with a reg flex 57 gram shaft.

My numbers on the monitor were 

98 swing speed

18 degree launch

3750 backspin

143 ball speed

Carry was 234

There were other numbers but I dont know what they meant.

My question is would it benefit me to lower my backspin and launch angle ?

If so is lowering the loft of my driver the best way to do this? 

Thanks!

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I have a very low lifted driver and it is just a bandaid for me to reduce spin. Most likely if you could increase your angle of attack that should reduce spin and produce longer drives 

4 minutes ago, Casualgolfer said:

I have a very low lifted driver and it is just a bandaid for me to reduce spin. Most likely if you could increase your angle of attack that should reduce spin and produce longer drives 

Do you mean hit up on the ball more? Im to steep?

17 minutes ago, Stillhacken said:

Do you mean hit up on the ball more? Im to steep?

Probably. What was your AoA?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Probably. What was your AoA?

It didnt have an AoA listed.

Edited by Stillhacken
ERROR

4 hours ago, Stillhacken said:

It didnt have an AoA listed.

What kind of launch monitor were you using?

1 hour ago, iacas said:

What kind of launch monitor were you using?

It was a "True Golf simulator".  This is from the driving range option of the machine. 

golf data.jpg

2 hours ago, Stillhacken said:

It was a "True Golf simulator".  This is from the driving range option of the machine. 

With what launch monitor running it?

Because if it's the little LED/light strip things… just ignore the data. It's not great.

I recommend you go on a real launch monitor that shows you all of the data that you need to make a proper assessment.

I would say if that estimated yardage matches closely to what you see on the course then the monitor was at least fairly accurate. I bet if you could "hit up" on the ball a little more and reduce spin by maybe 1000 rpm you will see some gains. 

Thanks guys for the replies. 😎

I will start trying to hit up more and if I can find a cheap used  SLDR head in 9.5 degree I might go ahead and get it . I can always resale it for minimal loss. 

Just so you know what you are working with, that SLDR was designed to be a spin killer. Super low spin and low launch which is why TM had to do their whole loft up campaign. Definitely need to work on getting those numbers down through your swing because other than maybe using a heavier shaft, the club is not the issue.

Also if you struggle with accuracy and consistency with this driver, I would probably look elsewhere, aka not the SLDR, as that head design is very unforgiving.

5 hours ago, Adam C said:

Just so you know what you are working with, that SLDR was designed to be a spin killer. Super low spin and low launch which is why TM had to do their whole loft up campaign. Definitely need to work on getting those numbers down through your swing because other than maybe using a heavier shaft, the club is not the issue.

Also if you struggle with accuracy and consistency with this driver, I would probably look elsewhere, aka not the SLDR, as that head design is very unforgiving.

Thanks Adam C.!

Im working on my entire swing and plan on putting a video up on the swing video thread if you and the others would like to see what what Im doing  wrong and maybe give some tips.