nevets88

2019 Genesis Open Discussion Thread

67 posts / 2691 viewsLast Reply

24 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Would’ve been great if Kostis asked him at the end..’ so hey...why don’t you get yourself ready to play...check your green book while you’re waiting for others to putt?’ 

Especially since they commented on air that it took him 55 seconds to hit that putt (on 12 or thereabouts) from 3’ that he jacked 6 feet past the hole.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

J.B. Holmes is the guy in the left most lane, driving 30 because he is texting someone. 

“You play in 25 mile an hour gusty winds and see how fast you play, when you’re playing for the kind of money and points that we’re playing for,” Holmes said.

What a dope. First of all, everybody played in the same conditions as you did and didn’t take an eternity or plum bob a 1’ putt. Second, the weather has no bearing on why you can’t be ready to hit when it’s your turn instead of standing there watching the other players then starting your routine only when it’s your turn. He doesn’t get it. Total dope.

I was not cheering for JB “Glacial-Pace” Holmes. It’s bad enough he plays slow, but to be indignant about it makes it worse. The NBA and NFL changed to a play clock and many whiners at the time thought it would ruin the game. But it did not. Time for the PGA to get a backbone and enforce it.

1 hour ago, Stillhacken said:

People are bombing JB for plumb bobbing his putts.  

As bad as Justin putted maybe he should have been doing that?

No.

JB Holmes was ranked 202 in strokes gained putting prior to the Genesis Open. Even after a great week where he gained like 8 strokes on the field in putting, he is still 105th and only barely gaining strokes on the field putting (.037)

Justin Thomas on the other hand was 83rd in strokes gained putting prior to the Genesis Open and moved up to 38th after this tournament, and is gaining .520 strokes on the field putting.

I didn't get to watch any of the tournament on Sunday. Was the JB Holmes group out of position?

I think it's a shame the PGA tour has no guts to enforce slow play penalties.  Start handing them out like a candy and they will start playing faster!

6 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I think it's a shame the PGA tour has no guts to enforce slow play penalties.  Start handing them out like a candy and they will start playing faster!

Were they out of position?

I'm only re-asking the question from the post just above yours to point out that under their current policy, they likely weren't even on the clock let alone in receipt of a "bad timing" or three.

The PGA Tour policy likely IS being enforced… it's just a bad, far too lenient policy.

14 hours ago, colin007 said:

I know this is off topic, but what can be done about this?

Over the weekend, I heard part of an interview with Koepka. They asked him what his approach to slow players is. (I don’t know when the interview had been recorded.) 

He said he slows waaaay down to deliberately put them on the clock. Then the group has to play at the pace he wants. (Until they catch up, presumably.)

I don’t know if anyone can verify that he’s done this.

Slow play is horrible, I hate it when I'm playing and I detest it when I'm watching it on TV.
Usually they can broadcast around it by showing other players hitting shots, but when it is in the leaders group they can't so much ignore what is happening.

When I posted before about wanting Holmes to win, I completely forgot about his slow play.  I enjoy his game, but yeah not a fan of slow play at all.

4 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Over the weekend, I heard part of an interview with Koepka. They asked him what his approach to slow players is. (I don’t know when the interview had been recorded.) 

He said he slows waaaay down to deliberately put them on the clock. Then the group has to play at the pace he wants. (Until they catch up, presumably.)

I don’t know if anyone can verify that he’s done this.

I hadn't heard that before...that's super passive aggressive but I kinda like it!!! Having to speed up is gonna rattle the slow player but picking up the pace to catch up is going to be Brooks normal pace...brilliant!!