IGNORED

Adam Scott Begs For Slow Play Penalty

iacas

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Weren't Mickelson and Casey more than a hole behind in the final last week? Everyone else finished and they didn't even start 17.

The other players at 17th and 18th finished their round after Casey decided to stop playing. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Yeah, I figured as much, but I think symbolically it would be pretty powerful, seeing a fellow player leave your group because you're slow?

Rory Sabbatini wasn't exactly praised for what he did to Ben Crane, despite Ben Crane having a very bad reputation for slow play.

It's still gonna be seen as a dick move.

6 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Weren't Mickelson and Casey more than a hole behind in the final last week? Everyone else finished and they didn't even start 17.

They weren't a hole behind, no. The players had just left 17 green when they were on 16, but that was after they had been having minutes-long conversations. Those players didn't have an am playing either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Rory Sabbatini wasn't exactly praised for what he did to Ben Crane, despite Ben Crane having a very bad reputation for slow play.

They weren't a hole behind, no. The players had just left 17 green when they were on 16, but that was after they had been having minutes-long conversations. Those players didn't have an am playing either.

I wasn't sure. They kind of stopped reporting about the groups ahead.

It also seems to happen a lot on tour (and in this tournament) that the players wait a while for a rules official to get there. I wonder if there is a way they could speed that up other than the players actually knowing the rules better.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I remember when that happened...I kinda feel like it might be viewed a little differently now, perhaps with more players voicing their approval were such a move to be pulled

Colin P.

5 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I've seen something similar happen once. I remember one golfer was done with his playing partner and finished the hole before the guy even got to the point of hitting his 2nd shot. He didn't want to get a slow play penalty.

I believe it just happened at the Mexico tournament a few weeks ago. 

2 minutes ago, RayG said:

Yeah it did. I was trying to look it up earlier and couldn't quite find which tournament it was. I thought it was at the Sony Open

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

6 hours ago, colin007 said:

What would happen if Adam or Brooks just left their group due to slow play? They fall a hole behind and Adam just says, I'm playing on?

Would this be allowed, since they keep each other’s scores? Don’t they have to be somewhere nearby to be able to attest to the score?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

1 hour ago, RayG said:

Yup. Just found it, it was at the Latin America Amateur Championship.

After putting out on the 12th hole, Ortiz went ahead to the 13th tee, leaving Barco and Delgado to finish out on the green. (He had done the same thing on the 12th tee.) Ortiz then hit his drive on No. 13 and started walking down the fairway before Barco and Delgado had gotten to the tee. Then, having already hit his approach shot, Ortiz was already waiting near the 13th green as Barco and Delgado hit their second shots. That’s when Moir approached Ortiz. “He kind of had to come on to the green and told me to slow down a little bit,” Ortiz said. “I was just playing too fast.”

alvaro-ortiz-latin-america-amateur-2019-

LAAC leader Alvaro Ortiz had an interesting conversation with a rules official after his group was put on the clock during Saturday's third round

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Missouri Swede said:

Would this be allowed, since they keep each other’s scores? Don’t they have to be somewhere nearby to be able to attest to the score?

You can't leave your group. I forget which Rule it is now in 2019, but you're not really allowed to do it unless approved (at some point) by the Committee.

IIRC.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

You can't leave your group. I forget which Rule it is now in 2019, but you're not really allowed to do it unless approved (at some point) by the Committee.

IIRC.

If you're in a weekend twosome, and your partner doesn't keep up with you, who's leaving the group? Each of you is now a group of one...

Colin P.

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, colin007 said:

If you're in a weekend twosome, and your partner doesn't keep up with you, who's leaving the group? Each of you is now a group of one...

I'm talking about a tournament. You're to play with your assigned group.

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm talking about a tournament. You're to play with your assigned group.

That's what in talking about too, playing as a twosome on the weekend on tour. It would be more difficult on Thurs Fri work threesomes - Why does the slower player get to dictate the pace?

Colin P.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, colin007 said:

That's what in talking about too, playing as a twosome on the weekend on tour. It would be more difficult on Thurs Fri work threesomes - Why does the slower player get to dictate the pace?

There’s usually nowhere to go. I’m not sure where you’re going with this.

Well, it's just like the tortoise on a 2 lane road with a double yellow line in the middle. There's no passing, and everyone is stuck. We've had this happen on public courses. A group comes charging up our butts wanting to play through, but we're waiting on the group in front of us, who're waiting on the group in front of them, who're waiting on the group in front of them, etc.! Where are they going to go?

Yes, you'd expect the threesomes to be slower, but they don't seem to be. The guys playing on the weekend are playing for the money! Still, they're supposed to know how to play the game. They should be faster, much faster, than rank amateurs.

This might have been suggested before, or maybe it's a silly/stupid/impractical idea:  Why not start each group on the clock?

Your group doesn't get placed on the clock.  Your group finishes teeing off on your first hole; your group is on the clock.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

11 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

This might have been suggested before, or maybe it's a silly/stupid/impractical idea:  Why not start each group on the clock?

Your group doesn't get placed on the clock.  Your group finishes teeing off on your first hole; your group is on the clock.

They could use the course's or PGA Tour's pace rating.  For my PGA chapter, if our groups, in pro ams, don't play in 4hr40min or within 15min of the group in front, we get penalized a stroke onto our 18th hole score.  I think regardless of the method used, there would have to be proper penalties or enforcement.  No warnings, just add a stroke (just 1 per round should do it for these guys).  

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2 hours ago, phillyk said:

For my PGA chapter, if our groups, in pro ams, don't play in 4hr40min or within 15min of the group in front, we get penalized a stroke onto our 18th hole score.  

I hope that's for a foursome.  I don't understand how the PGA norm became 5 hours for a threesome.  Try that this weekend and get shot.  I know that they are playing for a lot of money but they use a lot fewer strokes than the rest of us and have more confidence and experience in what they are doing.

The only issue with a clock from the start are rulings and maybe when someone has to go back and re-tee - those are legitimate slow downs that need to be in the equation.  But otherwise either the tour speeds up or you will possibly see some other body try to push them.

3 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

As far as I know, the PGA Tour functions as the Committee in setting pace of play policy.  Here is the PGA Tour Player Handbook from last season, the Pace of Play policy starts on page 71.  

https://qualifying.pgatourhq.com/static-assets/uploads/2017-18_pga_tour_handbookregs_final.pdf

As far as I am aware, the PGA Tour responds pretty well to the Players Advisory Council.  If enough concerned players get themselves elected to the Council, they could have a huge role in revising the Pace of Play policy.  MY interpretation, the players don't want to enact a policy that could result in the player getting hit with a penalty stroke.  They CHOOSE to make it extremely difficult to play slow enough for long enough to get a penalty.  There may be a few vocal individuals, but as a group they've chosen to keep things as they are.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.