IGNORED

Adam Scott Begs For Slow Play Penalty

iacas

If the rules officials have the real-time tablet system for following the various groups' pace of play, could they give this information to the players proactively, rather than waiting to notify them when they are behind? Could there be a tablet on every tee which, when the group arrives, tells them whether they are on pace, how close they are to being behind, etc.? If I were a tournament player, I would prefer having this information to being interrupted by a verbal notification from someone that I just had a bad time or that I'm on the clock. 

The problem with pace of play is that people are being taught an approach and a method which leads to slow play. Directly, by sports psychologists, and indirectly, by what's shown on TV. Don't hit until you are committed. Think clearly and prepare. The Think Box and the Play Box., etc. The TV shows the leaders of tournaments, and what is shown on camera is alot of slow preparation. Discussions with the caddy, practice swings, long rituals when reading putts, marking the ball, lining up the line on the ball, consulting the yardage and greens books....then the careful pre-address routine, the address, the waggle, etc etc. 

Ok, what else are they gonna show? Start the camera on the backswing and cut away after it lands, I don't know...that would probably be strange and boring TV. 

The announcers talk about how interesting it is to hear the conversations, etc. 

And it is interesting. But we all see golf this way, constantly. Slow, deliberate. 

I can't blame them, because they are playing for a lot of money, and big championships. 

But what you have to do to play a round in 2-3 hours is so much faster than this, I don't think people realize it. You arrive at the ball, get the yardage, pull the club, and hit, all very quickly. 

Edited by Big Lex

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My number one biggest issue with slow play on tour is the players who get to their ball and then don't even begin to figure out their shot until the other player behind them has hit. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

14 minutes ago, colin007 said:

My number one biggest issue with slow play on tour is the players who get to their ball and then don't even begin to figure out their shot until the other player behind them has hit. 

This is where you DVR the tournament and play it back at double speed... those 40 second eternities stewing over the shot become 20 second quickies.  Wish I could DVR some of the guys I play with...  😁

28 minutes ago, Big Lex said:

If the rules officials have the real-time tablet system for following the various groups' pace of play, could they give this information to the players proactively, rather than waiting to notify them when they are behind? Could there be a tablet on every tee which, when the group arrives, tells them whether they are on pace, how close they are to being behind, etc.? If I were a tournament player, I would prefer having this information to being interrupted by a verbal notification from someone that I just had a bad time or that I'm on the clock. 

To a huge extent, the PGA Tour is owned by the PGA Tour players, so they essentially set their own Pace of Play policy.  Consequently, they CAN do anything they choose to agree on.  The Players Advisory Board has apparently just voted to disallow green-reading books, as an example of the self-governing nature of the tour.  Its just my opinion, of course, but it seems like they don't want to tighten the PoP rules any further because too many players can imagine themselves wanting (needing?) to take extra time over shots, so they don't want to make slow-play penalties any easier to incur.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I will say this... The senior tour had 10 minute tee times with two players only out, and they played at a glacial pace. I think they were on pace for like 5 hour rounds. This is just absurd. 

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

To a huge extent, the PGA Tour is owned by the PGA Tour players, so they essentially set their own Pace of Play policy.  Consequently, they CAN do anything they choose to agree on.  The Players Advisory Board has apparently just voted to disallow green-reading books, as an example of the self-governing nature of the tour.  Its just my opinion, of course, but it seems like they don't want to tighten the PoP rules any further because too many players can imagine themselves wanting (needing?) to take extra time over shots, so they don't want to make slow-play penalties any easier to incur.

I think it is more of a group mentality, you don't want to be the nail sticking out to far. 

The easiest way to fix this is to curb slow pay in junior golf. Teach them to play fast, then its more likely golfers would build the habit. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The easiest way to fix this is to curb slow pay in junior golf. Teach them to play fast, then its more likely golfers would build the habit. 

I agree.  Change First Tee to Fast Tee.  I learned to play fast as a kid because there were growly, intimidating adults playing behind me.

• Like 1

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, Big Lex said:

If the rules officials have the real-time tablet system for following the various groups' pace of play, could they give this information to the players proactively, rather than waiting to notify them when they are behind? Could there be a tablet on every tee which, when the group arrives, tells them whether they are on pace, how close they are to being behind, etc.?

On the LPGA Tour? No way.

Changing Junior golf will take decades to show results on even the PGA Tour.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Agree. It is odd that they don’t start their process as soon as the get to their ball.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Agree. It is odd that they don’t start their process as soon as the get to their ball.

I have a friend from L.A. who, when he comes up to visit, we get in alot of golf.  He is the slowest player in the universe.  We played junior, high school and college golf together.  (He progressivly got slower)

I asked him why he won't start his process when he gets to the ball... he wants everyone watching him going through his routine.  And especially, do not look away when he's hitting his ball.  And no whispering/chatting while he is lining up his shot.  He has bat ears and can hear you quietly yawn at 30 yards. 

Before you say to ditch the guy, he's an old childhood bud.  I only have to suffer him on the golf course once every two years or so.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

On 6/27/2021 at 6:11 AM, iacas said:

That’s not how that works. So no, you couldn’t.

Why not? If I am deliberately slow, to the point where the group gets put on the clock, and then I play faster than normal after, the other players in the group have to follow the guideline of 40 seconds once they are at their ball and it is their turn to play, no?

On 6/27/2021 at 7:25 AM, boogielicious said:

FWIW, it’s not a hard rule yet, but a guideline in the RoG unfortunately.

I always forget that this isn't a rule, mostly because I think it should be. They should have 1 volunteer with each group in charge of timing the player whose turn it is from the first tee box. Obviously if a plane is flying over or a squirrel is messing around near your ball then you have the same piece of verbiage in there in the current suggestion. The wind picking up should be specifically called out in the rule as a NON-exception to the 40 second rule.

I absolutely hate the crowds hooting and hollering when I watch golf on TV, but after watching the NBA playoffs and seeing people count at Giannis Antetokounmpo while he is trying to shoot a free throw, I would be OK if this happened to the slow golfers. Imagine the whole crowd starting at like the 30 second mark and then just hounding the slow player, chanting as it got closer to 40, really making a scene about how absurdly long they are taking.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Why not?

Because you can’t “make others incur penalties.” Duh.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

I absolutely hate the crowds hooting and hollering when I watch golf on TV, but after watching the NBA playoffs and seeing people count at Giannis Antetokounmpo while he is trying to shoot a free throw, I would be OK if this happened to the slow golfers. Imagine the whole crowd starting at like the 30 second mark and then just hounding the slow player, chanting as it got closer to 40, really making a scene about how absurdly long they are taking.

I think something like this happened:  at the 2002 Open, Sergio Garcia (I think it was Sergio) was waggling and regripping quite often and a few times, the crowd started counting.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

5 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I think something like this happened:  at the 2002 Open, Sergio Garcia (I think it was Sergio) was waggling and regripping quite often and a few times, the crowd started counting.  

It cured Sergio.

9 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I agree.  Change First Tee to Fast Tee.  I learned to play fast as a kid because there were growly, intimidating adults playing behind me.

I don't think the word 'fast' should be included in pace of play. I like the term ready golf. I don't go out to play golf so I can play it fast because that would take away enjoyment. Just the same, our group is one of the most 'ready golf' groups on the course. If we were left to our own and not held up, we would probably finish in 3 hours. We don't feel like we hurry through it but we get the job done in a comfortable fashion, but not fast.

• Like 2

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

• Administrator

“Ready” golf has no place in match play, and less in competition except in certain situations.

Day to day, when you’re competing against yourself at most, sure.

Efficient players can both follow the rules AND play quickly.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, colin007 said:

But Erik, they're playing for so much on the line

That is not fast for a single. I usually do 18 in around 2 hours taking my time.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave