IGNORED

Adam Scott Begs For Slow Play Penalty

iacas

They should make it 4.5 hours maximum for a round. They should clock when groups come in, and the first group that comes in over 4.5 hours, they get hit with a 2-stroke penalty for every 15 minutes over 4.5 hours. The groups behind them must finish with in 15 minutes of the time the group that got penalized came in at. This way you are not penalizing groups that kept up with the group in front of them. Making it a group penalty will put peer pressure on golfers who are slow. If a group comes in slower than that group, they get penalized 2-strokes for every 15 minutes over the time of the pace the slow group set. 

Group A: 5 hour round. They get hit with a 4 stroke penalty
Group E:  5.5 hour round. They get hit with a 4 stroke penalty, not an 8 stroke penalty since they could not have finished faster than 5 hours since group A set the pace. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

They should make it 4.5 hours maximum for a round. They should clock when groups come in, and the first group that comes in over 4.5 hours, they get hit with a 2-stroke penalty for every 15 minutes over 4.5 hours. The groups behind them must finish with in 15 minutes of the time the group that got penalized came in at. This way you are not penalizing groups that kept up with the group in front of them. Making it a group penalty will put peer pressure on golfers who are slow. If a group comes in slower than that group, they get penalized 2-strokes for every 15 minutes over the time of the pace the slow group set. 

Group A: 5 hour round. They get hit with a 4 stroke penalty
Group E:  5.5 hour round. They get hit with a 4 stroke penalty, not an 8 stroke penalty since they could not have finished faster than 5 hours since group A set the pace. 

How would a group penalty be fair for those players who would have completed the round in the allotted time but were held back by a slow player? It's not like a faster player can physically force a slower player to play faster. 

If you get a player who just doesn't give a shit about the penalty he could easily screw 2 other players with multiple penalty strokes by playing slow on purpose. Like say the slow player is well outside the cut line on a friday afternoon but the fast player is hovering right around the cut line. Slow player could take his sweet old time and cause the fast player to rack up 4 penalty strokes and miss the cut. That doesn't seem right to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

18 minutes ago, klineka said:

How would a group penalty be fair for those players who would have completed the round in the allotted time but were held back by a slow player? It's not like a faster player can physically force a slower player to play faster. 

It is called peer pressure. 

Finish a hole before the guy, walk ahead of him. Tee off on the next hole while he is finishing the previous. You could shame the crap out of the guy, and make an example of them. 

Mostly, it was if it is a group penalty, then the others will put pressure on the guy to play faster. Good luck determining who was actually causing slow play in a group. You may get one guy who stands out, but if you get three guys how are kinda all slow, good luck. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I love the idea of two faster players moving on to the next hole and leaving the slow poke behind. I would also LOVE to see a group ask a group ahead to play through if space opened up

Colin P.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, DeadMan said:

The starting point, and the thing that jumped out at me most: the standard time of 4:45 as a threesome is ridiculous. I could maybe understand 4:00, but 4:45 is ridiculous. And they allot more than 15 minutes per hole. Again, for a threesome, that's ridiculous.

Does the AJGA actually stick to 4:00 or whatever? College events are TERRIBLY slow. Natalie played in 5.5 hours in her first round of her conference championship.

7 hours ago, colin007 said:

I think the first group of the morning should be threatened with penalty strokes if they don't finish in 4 hours. Everyone after that has to keep up the pace, if there opens up space in between them pass out the penalties swiftly.

Time par. That's how you keep the first group moving, and every group after that has to finish the hole (flagstick in with everyone done) within 14 minutes of the previous group.

That's what the USGA does at many of its championships.

6 hours ago, saevel25 said:

They should clock when groups come in, and the first group that comes in over 4.5 hours, they get hit with a 2-stroke penalty for every 15 minutes over 4.5 hours. The groups behind them must finish with in 15 minutes of the time the group that got penalized came in at.

So it's 4:44, then… and if the next group takes 4:59… they'd be penalized. Already a hole, and the "fast" groups are playing in 4:44, still. Hardly a difference.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Does the AJGA actually stick to 4:00 or whatever?

According to their website, they’re in the 4:20 to 4:30 range. For competitive golf, I think that’s pretty good.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fajga-brightspot.s3.am

All players should take responsibility to ensure every member in the group is following...

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Don't expect anything to change soon.

Monahan: “We’re in the entertainment business. We’re on television. Look at the number of times that we’re finishing on time, if not early. That’s a frustration of mine because we don’t want people turning off CBS or NBC before the competition, before six o’clock. . . We get into places on the weekend where, you know, there’s a lot on the line, I think those are the moments that frustrate fans, but at the same time, there is a lot on a line."

Bill M