IGNORED

Adam Scott Begs For Slow Play Penalty

iacas

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

That is not fast for a single. I usually do 18 in around 2 hours taking my time.

Walking 7100 yards?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Walking 7100 yards?

I’ve done my local course in 1:45 and that’s 6200. Did it with a friend as a twosome in 2:15. For most courses I’ve played, its the walk between holes that extends the length, not the card yardage. I’m just commenting that its not “insanely fast” as the tweet suggested.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just now, boogielicious said:

I’ve done my local course in 1:45 and that’s 6200. Did it with a friend as a twosome in 2:15. For most courses I’ve played, its the walk between holes that extends the length, not the card yardage. I’m just commenting that its not “insanely fast” as the tweet suggested.

Not to mention, you have to walk past the back tees in many cases, not all.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

It’s pretty damn fast for a PGA Tour player.

I’ve done 2:25 with a twosome. Waited on a single for three holes.

It’s not comparable.

120 * 1.15 for the yardage is 138.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I think Adam knew he was not going to win and just wanted to get the hell out of town. Get home and barbecue on a Sunday early evening.

In 2019?

Huh?

Maybe the marker was playing slow?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I would love to see a tournament format akin to speed chess. The players get a certain amount of time to play their shots, to play each hole, something. I'm not looking for a speed golf tournament per se; I know there are records maintained for speed golf, and that's sort of a thing in and of itself. 

But what I would like to see are occasional alternate format events on the PGA tour. One such event could be where they are only allowed to carry 7 clubs (or 5, or whatever). 

What I would be after in the speed golf event would be that the player gets to his ball and is given the yardage and must select a club and play _really_ quickly, like the shot must be in the air within 20 seconds after he is given the yardage. You could have markers walk to the guy's ball and shoot a distance to a pin and that's all they get. One number. Once they get the number, the have to pull a club, take their stance, and swing. 

Just to see how they do with that kind of challenge, push them out of this excruciating "grand rounds" discussions they have with the caddie over every shot. 

And yeah maybe it would speed up play. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

I'd like to see the players themselves have to work out yardages on their own, no help from caddie. Like us normal folk... 

And don't get me started about having them find their own d*mn ball in the rough too. 

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2023 at 8:12 AM, colin007 said:

On the ladies' side but I recognized the name from years ago

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/chevron-championship-lucy-li-slow-play-fine

From what I understand, PGA Tour players get fined as well for slow play, for the number of times they get put on the clock.  I've read claims that the fines aren't much of a deterrent, that it will take stroke penalties to really change behaviors.  The Policy currently used makes it pretty easy to avoid stroke penalties, even when strictly enforced.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

From what I understand, PGA Tour players get fined as well for slow play, for the number of times they get put on the clock.  I've read claims that the fines aren't much of a deterrent, that it will take stroke penalties to really change behaviors.  The Policy currently used makes it pretty easy to avoid stroke penalties, even when strictly enforced.

Yeah pretty much, if they aren't getting dinged in the score card then they aren't going to do anything

Colin P.

Is all about risk-reward in life. Until the punishment for been slow outweighs the benefits of been slow, slow play is still going to be a thing in golf.

Giving a fine to a golf player is useless. Most of them play for the score, only the back pack play for the money. Even then they will take those extra minute each tournament (and a small fine) to shoot a couple shots less and earn more money, a lot more money than the fine is.  

A slow player shooting 70, could start shooting 73 just because he is forced to play fast and get out of rhythm. Even if he get 1 or 2 strokes penalties a round, he is still going to play slow because he knows if he plays faster he will be loosing more strokes.

Until slow play is punished accordingly, it's still going to be around the PGA tour (and other tours)   

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/2/2023 at 1:57 PM, p1n9183 said:

A slow player shooting 70, could start shooting 73 just because he is forced to play fast and get out of rhythm. Even if he get 1 or 2 strokes penalties a round, he is still going to play slow because he knows if he plays faster he will be loosing more strokes.

Then develop a faster rhythm. It might be the complete opposite. Maybe the guy has too much stuff in his head and is losing strokes because he plays slow. I do not think a person can form a causation between slow play and lower scores. 

I agree, they need to fix slow play. They need to start hitting golfers who are in contention. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 5/2/2023 at 1:57 PM, p1n9183 said:

Is all about risk-reward in life. Until the punishment for been slow outweighs the benefits of been slow, slow play is still going to be a thing in golf.

Giving a fine to a golf player is useless. Most of them play for the score, only the back pack play for the money. Even then they will take those extra minute each tournament (and a small fine) to shoot a couple shots less and earn more money, a lot more money than the fine is.  

Until slow play is punished accordingly, it's still going to be around the PGA tour (and other tours)   

There is a lot of logic in what you said so maybe the penalties need to cross over tournaments.

this is just an initial thought so do not kill me if it is a real bad idea or is not fully thought out.

Maybe you are given a maximum time for each 3-hole stretch.  miss 1 time and the group goes on the clock and shots start getting timed.  Miss another 3-hole time and penalty strokes go to those with slow shot times.  Would need to “stop the clock” on a group if they are waiting on the group ahead.  After a total of X missed times over multiple tournaments and you get shot clocked from the 1st tee in every tournament going forward and all future penalties are DQ with zero prize money.  The hard part would be to avoid penalizing a non-slow player who gets paired with a slow player.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

This was an interesting article about the PGA Tour's slow play monitoring:

1683235010484.jpeg

A visit with the PGA Tour's pace of play czar shows getting golfers to pick it up is more complicated than we think.

I do disagree with the conclusion here, though. If you want to fix slow play, start with penalties and not fines. Or at least be quicker to go to penalties. It does not fill me with confidence to hear that players would need to be "brain dead" to get a slow play penalty. More public shaming of slow players would also be a good idea. 

The starting point, and the thing that jumped out at me most: the standard time of 4:45 as a threesome is ridiculous. I could maybe understand 4:00, but 4:45 is ridiculous. And they allot more than 15 minutes per hole. Again, for a threesome, that's ridiculous. If the AJGA can get pace of play for a foursome to below 4:30, the PGA Tour can do better than 4:45 for a threesome. The article says that a "brisk pace" is an hour for four holes, with nobody in front of you. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I think the first group of the morning should be threatened with penalty strokes if they don't finish in 4 hours. Everyone after that has to keep up the pace, if there opens up space in between them pass out the penalties swiftly.

Colin P.