Jump to content
Petrocelli

Does Anyone Else Here Use a Chipper?

122 posts / 11166 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, billchao said:

Gauntlet thrown down, @GolfLug 😜

Hah. I must a unique type of idiot. 

Jokes aside, from my understanding, anything the golf industry designs that can be deemed 'idiot proof' or having a significant non-skill related advantage ends up in the non-conforming category.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I first started playing I actually considered getting a chipper. I told my father my intention and after he got finished making fun of me he took me down to the chipping green and showed me how to properly chip with a wedge like a normal person. Chippers have long been associated with hacks because they have such a limited use and the one thing they are good for can easily be done with a short iron after minimal practice time. I would almost guarantee every player who employs the use of a chipper does so at the overall detriment of their game as that spot in their bag would most likely be better saved for a more versatile club.

And yes I would consider a 14 handicap that can chip with a short iron a better player than a 14 handicap who must use a chipper all other things being equal. Why? Because that skill will most likely translate to other short game shots where a chipper is not the best tool for the job. A chipper is a crutch for a skill thats not that difficult in the first place.

Edited by NM Golf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, billchao said:

Gauntlet thrown down, @GolfLug 😜

When man makes something idiot proof, God makes a bigger idiot.....  Mark Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I kept track of my chipper use today.  I hit is three times from just off the green.  I got up and down all three times.

However, I have concluded it should only be used where you are simply putting from the rough, or you are in a position where you are considering putting from the fairway..  

In one other situation I was about 10-15 yards off the green. I chipped with a pitching wedge, hit the pin, and one putted.  On another occasion, I used a sand wedge (58 degree) because I had a crazy lie, and had to stop the ball quickly.  (Missed a 10 foot putt.) 

So I think the "chipper" is not great for chipping.  It is great for putting from the rough. or just off the fairway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Petrocelli said:

I kept track of my chipper use today.  I hit is three times from just off the green.  I got up and down all three times.

However, I have concluded it should only be used where you are simply putting from the rough, or you are in a position where you are considering putting from the fairway..  

In one other situation I was about 10-15 yards off the green. I chipped with a pitching wedge, hit the pin, and one putted.  On another occasion, I used a sand wedge (58 degree) because I had a crazy lie, and had to stop the ball quickly.  (Missed a 10 foot putt.) 

So I think the "chipper" is not great for chipping.  It is great for putting from the rough. or just off the fairway.

In an hour you could learn to do that with a 5 iron or even a hybrid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

In an hour you could learn to do that with a 5 iron or even a hybrid. 

Actually, before  got the chipper, I would use a 9 iron for this shot.

But the chipper has a putting shaft, the loft of a 9 iron, and is engineered specifically for a putt/chip from right off the green.  Therefore, at least for me, it has been more accurate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Petrocelli said:

Actually, before  got the chipper, I would use a 9 iron for this shot.

But the chipper has a putting shaft, the loft of a 9 iron, and is engineered specifically for a putt/chip from right off the green.  Therefore, at least for me, it has been more accurate.

 

It's all good. If you have room in your bag and you like it, go for it. 

For me, I never even consider a chipper. If I had another slot in my bag I'd add another club at the top of my bag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Square Strike Wedge is now offering their product in a 7,8,and 9 iron for anybody that wants to "give up" on improving their game...🙄… And no I will not be trading in my TM M2's for these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

nope, its a waste of a club. the answer isn't to get a new club to fix your faults, but to get more practice to fix your faults.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am 55 and play to a 15 handicap.  I have Cleveland smart sole chipper and sand wedge in my bag. I can hit a 60 degree wedge but choose what I choose what works for me for my hone course where there is a lot of run up links style holes i say play what works for your game not someone else's.  Just like i never would criticize someone for what was in there bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an Adams a3os chipper anywhere from 50-60 yards out and in trouble situations (low branches etc) I love it close to the green and have even used it out of bunkers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have recently re-discovered a MacGregor Golden Bear chipper, I put away for 30 years. Likely, I was embarrassed to use it. Now, as a Sr golfer, I love and use it right off the green, for the dreaded 15-20 yard shot with a tight lie.  

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are thinking about getting chipper, try this method first.  It is actually very effective for people with bad pitching and chipping techniques like me.  Even from tight lies.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/18/2020 at 8:26 AM, Sandhills Golfe said:

Have recently re-discovered a MacGregor Golden Bear chipper, I put away for 30 years. Likely, I was embarrassed to use it. Now, as a Sr golfer, I love and use it right off the green, for the dreaded 15-20 yard shot with a tight lie.  

I’d love to see a picture of the MacGregor chipper, if you get a chance. The argument against chippers seems to have a couple of main themes. First, “It’s a single purpose club that takes up one of the 14 slots allowed by the Rules.” True, but we carry two other single purpose clubs and I don’t see a movement to start putting with a driver, even thought the lofts are similar. The other, “Real golfers don’t carry chippers!”, seems to imply some kind of group consensus of what a club set is supposed to consist of; but I gave up trying to run with the pack in my 50’s. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...