sophia K

Not So Easy To Find The Right Golf Friends

57 posts / 16772 viewsLast Reply

It’s definitely not easy to find good people to play with. I’ve got a circle of about ten guys who I play with (but due to them working, we can rarely play), and we have a blast. When I join people on the course, or they join with me, they’re usually fun to hang out with. Occasionally, at my club’s social events, I’ll run into somebody who I played with in the past, and we’ll talk for a few minutes. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/15/2020 at 4:55 PM, StuM said:

My problem is finding a couple so my wife & I can play with them.  Most of guys I know that golf do not have spouses that golf.

My suggestion is that you find a place that has tee distances where your wife can play irons as approach shots. You might more easily find other couple partners at those golf courses.

My wife is quite the athlete. Although older she is more competitive than her golf abilities should allow. So the first year, we were not allowed to play with anyone else. We joined a club in Los angeles and the critical element turned out to be the location of the women's tees. She just got sick of playing driver, 3 wood on every hole. Although over 60 she could hit driver 150-180. So it wasn't an issue of length. We looked to join a club in Atlanta (GCOG) and based it solely on the ladies tee boxes. I can say that this was the one element that turned her enjoyment around. She can now hit hybrid or mid irons sometimes, and the par threes she can reach with 7-9 irons.

Lord knows, I wouldn't have any fun if all of my par 4 approaches required 3 woods. She has turned out to be the best and most enjoyable playing partner for me. We both have very busy lives and those 4 hours are down time for us. One caveat. I have had to respond on numerous occasions, to her complaints about my cart driving by saying, " Honey, you know it's the strangest thing but when I play on saturday with my friends, no one has ever mentioned driving the cart in any conversation." 

🙂

6 hours ago, nicolas wieder said:

My suggestion is that you find a place that has tee distances where your wife can play irons as approach shots. You might more easily find other couple partners at those golf courses.

I agree with the need for forward tee boxes but I am not in market for a private club so problem is "Running Into" people at the public course is very hit or miss.