IGNORED

Questions For My Rules Seminar (2019)

6 hours ago, iacas said:

I’m not even tops here for that. @Rulesman has a claim for sure. Then me maybe. Dave can have a podium spot. 🙂

Thanks for the complement, much appreciated. However I have now retired from active refereeing. But have been invited to do a couple of big amateur events later this year.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it took 9 long days to get my results back, but I exceeded every expectation.  I got 92 of 100 right!

At the suggestion of @iacas, who obviously took note of my interests in the Rules, I signed up and took the USGA/PGA Rules Workshop this spring.  In contrast to previous years, when this was done as a

So I mentioned I'd post when I finished the test, and I'm finished.  Overall, I'm confident I got a large number of correct answers.  There were very few that I was really stumped over, maybe two or t

Posted Images

So I mentioned I'd post when I finished the test, and I'm finished.  Overall, I'm confident I got a large number of correct answers.  There were very few that I was really stumped over, maybe two or three.  A large percentage I was certain of, and there were a few kind of in the middle.  

Overall impressions, the test administration went pretty smoothly.  I had read that the initial online proctoring firm was extremely difficult, the USGA changed firms and everything was as smooth as I could hope for.  The careful reading required for the 100 questions was a definite strain, I'm kind of brain-numb now, but a cold beer will help that.  I guess the last step is to wait for the results to be emailed.  Officially they said it will be within two weeks, I've read from other people that 4 or 5 days has been typical.  

So this is a bit of an endpoint to my Spring Rules of Golf adventure, starting with a DM from Erik, deciding to take the Workshop, watching all of the available instruction, ending with the exam today.  All in all, I've learned a ton, and the experience has only increased my interest in learning more.  Assuming my test results are good enough, I'll explore opportunities to officiate local events, maybe I'll enjoy that and continue.  I'm also likely to attend another Workshop, especially if they return to in-person sessions.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who's managed to read through this stuff, and thanks to @iacas for encouraging me to take this first step in formal rules education.

• Like 4
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

So I mentioned I'd post when I finished the test, and I'm finished.  Overall, I'm confident I got a large number of correct answers.  There were very few that I was really stumped over, maybe two or three.  A large percentage I was certain of, and there were a few kind of in the middle.  

Overall impressions, the test administration went pretty smoothly.  I had read that the initial online proctoring firm was extremely difficult, the USGA changed firms and everything was as smooth as I could hope for.  The careful reading required for the 100 questions was a definite strain, I'm kind of brain-numb now, but a cold beer will help that.  I guess the last step is to wait for the results to be emailed.  Officially they said it will be within two weeks, I've read from other people that 4 or 5 days has been typical.  

So this is a bit of an endpoint to my Spring Rules of Golf adventure, starting with a DM from Erik, deciding to take the Workshop, watching all of the available instruction, ending with the exam today.  All in all, I've learned a ton, and the experience has only increased my interest in learning more.  Assuming my test results are good enough, I'll explore opportunities to officiate local events, maybe I'll enjoy that and continue.  I'm also likely to attend another Workshop, especially if they return to in-person sessions.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who's managed to read through this stuff, and thanks to @iacas for encouraging me to take this first step in formal rules education.

It was fun watching you progress. I also think you have a good temperament to do work officiating. I do hope you take that step as I think you'd be pretty good at it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Well it took 9 long days to get my results back, but I exceeded every expectation.  I got 92 of 100 right!:banana:

👍👍

20 hours ago, iacas said:

Congrats! Both on the score and properly using the Dancing Banana.

I have always loved the Dancing Banana, and I'm still feeling it today :banana:

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I have always loved the Dancing Banana, and I'm still feeling it today :banana:

I want to see the live version when they put you on the broadcasts to explain the rules to the commentators. :dance:

• Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...

So one more update on Dave's Rules Journey, I got in touch with the local PGA Section, the Middle Atlantic PGA.  We've gone back and forth a little, and I'm now scheduled to "work" my first event as an official, a MAPGA Fourball on September 7.  I know that's nearly 2 months away, but I'm already a little excited.  They offered me a spot on July 26, but after being away for a week in WI, followed by a 36-hole stroke play tourny at home, I figured I'd better beg off and go to work (to get some rest).

• Thanks 1