IGNORED

29 Signs You Take Golf Too Seriously

iacas
Note: This thread is 1869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Take Golf Too Seriously  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How many of the 29 items in the first post apply to you?

• 0 (None)
    • 1-3
    • 4-7
    • 8-13
    • 14-19
    • 19-24
    • 25+

I'll cop to three.

1) Doesn't everyone have a brush?

2) I think at some time or another we've all said something along the lines of "Worst round ever." I'll admit to it. 

3) Also, there is a difference between a hard 7 and a stock 7. My ability to hit either one not withstanding.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I carry alignment sticks, which are really driveway markers I bought at the Lowes.

I use the rangefinder up to 50 yards out or so.

I might occasionally whisper to myself "Such a pure feeling is a well struck golf shot" when I hit a good one ...

• Like 1

I have a groove brush but it is hidden away in the deep recesses of one of my bag pockets.  If I ever used it I would probably gain a stroke or two per 18.  I should probably post one item to the "How I Plan to Improve My Game" thread... and it would be to break out that brush and actually use it.

1 hour ago, NJpatbee said:

I have a groove cleaning brush.  That's it.

^^ this

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

<<----  white belt and pants are right over there..  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

-Have brush

-Rangefinder for pitches. My buddies make fun of me for it, which makes me want to do it more. I actually sometimes read off their pitches for them as pay back.

Edited by chspeed

I better explain myself, since I’m apparently the one idiot who said 8-13. 2) Definitely have the brush. 4) i wear spikes to matted ranges. I havent been to topgolf but i was thinking I probably would when given the chance to go there. 10) ive done it yeah. 11) definitely said that to people i don’t know when playing and not doing well. 13) ive used it. 14) absolutely, coworker in the kitchen, I get him to bet all the time against me and he has no business doing so, its just fun and he’s waiting for that one time to brag in my face. 15) yup! Hey that 5ish yds can mean a world of difference. Can’t say 16 because i do play competitively but i have 3 alignment sticks in my bag. 20) ive done it a few times. 24) i dont speak out loud about it but i know what im doing after i hit a drive and see it fly. 25) if i play a course i havent played before, I play tips no matter what. There arent many courses, if any, that would be too long or hard for me that would scare me off of the tips. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Brush, hard/'flighted' 7, white belt...

BTW, having a cleaning brush seems like a mandatory item - not a 'too serious' category. I mean its just stupid to play with dirt in grooves. 

Vishal S.

Guilty of 2 and 7.

2.  I have a groove-cleaning brush dangling from my bag.

7.  I have white golf pants and white belt.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

#7 and #16. I love my white belt (especially with the white kicks!) and I carry and use alignment sticks on the range. 

On 2/27/2019 at 4:12 PM, iacas said:
caddiereadingputt-1024x570.jpg

Shrinks refer to it as “over-compensation” — an excessive, awkward effort to prove that you belong. It happens in the bedroom and the boardroom. It also happens on the tee box. Are you trying too hard to demonstrate your...

They are:

1. You’ve Instagrammed a photo of yourself in a hide-bound club chair, flipping through a Bernard Shaw book while sipping a rare Scotch.
  2. You have a groove-cleaning brush dangling from your bag.
  3. NASCAR drivers wear fewer logos.
  4. You wear spikes to Topgolf.
  5. You have no less than two dozen bag tags clipped to your bag, all from Top 100 courses.
  6. You employ a rangefinder for greenside pitches.
  7. What’s with the white pants? And the white belt? “I never miss 12-footers. Must be this new grip. Also, sweet belt, bro."
  8. You ask your caddie to read the grain.
  9. You name-drop famous clubs that you don’t belong to, using their nicknames. As in, “PV was cool but I preferred Shinny.”
  10. You bark “Be the right club today!” at your ball, without irony.
  11. You swear you never play this badly. Ever.
  12. You rarely repair a ballmark without saying, “Always leave the course in better condition than when you found it.”
  13. You use the phrase, “the great game of golf.”
  14. You pressure playing partners into gambling when they don’t want to. “It’s only 50 bucks a hole. What’s the big deal?”
  15. You distinguish between a “hard seven” and a “stock seven.”
  16. You don’t play competitively but still carry alignment sticks.
  17. You are fond of informing people that golf is an entirely different game in Scotland.
  18. You own a golf cart with a vanity plate.
  19. You own iron covers.
  20. You ask, “This good?” when nothing is at stake.
  21. What’s with the plus-fours?
  22. You ask the starter what the greens are stimping at.
  23. You have an instructor on speed-dial, and you call him mid-round.
  24. You don’t just know your launch angle, spin rate and smash factor; you speak of them. Often.
  25. You charge to the back tees with no regard for yardage.
  26. After missing a consequential putt, you won’t talk to your playing partners for nine holes.
  27. You’re on record saying, “Pine Valley is the better design, but Cypress Point is more fun.”
  28. You regularly quote lines from “Golf in the Kingdom.”
  29. You refer to him as “Mr. Hogan.”

2. I have a brush on my bag.

7. I have white shorts and a couple white belts.

16. I have alignment sticks, but I play a lot of competitive golf.

On 2/27/2019 at 5:47 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

I've always said if you wear a white belt OR white pants you'd better be in the navy, selling ice cream, a painter, or a female pop singer. I strongly dislike the white pants, and REALLY can't stand the white belt. A golf buddy of mine wears one and the rest of us continually mock him. 

I once had a guy on the first tee of a tournament, poke fun at me for my white shorts and belt. It went like this:

Him: Smartass comment about my golfing attire 

Me: "Have you ever had a guy in a white belt hit it 50 yards past you and beat you by 15 strokes"

Him: "Nope"

Me: "Well then you might want to pay attention today"

He didn't have much else to say after that and I hit it 70 yards past him and beat him by more than 15 shots. I like my white belt, If you come at me with smartass comment you better have the game to back it up.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

I like my white belt, If you come at me with smartass comment you better have the game to back it up.

I wouldn't give somebody I don't know any poop. If you were in my regular group however, I'd mock the white belt even if you beat me by 15 strokes. I probably wouldn't go with Boogey Spears, being as you are a plus handicap. I'd probably go with Katy Par-y. 

I'd hope you'd mock something of mine as well. My custom driver headcover is a good place to start. 

Actually if you are under let's say 30 maybe 35 you may be able to get away with the white belt. Guys my age wear them and we just look like we are trying to hard. Can you imagine a white belt with a bitching comb-over and a beer gut? "Hey ladies, check me out." 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

5 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Guys my age wear them and we just look like we are trying to hard. Can you imagine a white belt with a bitching comb-over and a beer gut? "Hey ladies, check me out." 

Trump?

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I have a wire brush in the garage, but I don't keep it in the bag.

I have muttered "I hope that's good" when I've hit a shot right at the pin on the uphill par 3 and I can't see where the ball landed. 

I don't take alignment sticks ($1 home depot driveway reflectors) to play, but I take them to the range.  Just cause I don't take myself too seriously doesn't mean I can't make sure I'm lining up right.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Note: This thread is 1869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!