IGNORED

$5M or 5 Years in Jail… For a Hole in One? Hypothetical Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 1719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

$5M vs. 5 Years in Jail Bet  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take the bet proposed in the first post?

• Yes
    • No

• Administrator

I'm blatantly stealing this from elsewhere (with some modifications).

Here's the situation.

Someone offers you the following wager: if you can make a hole in one on a regular par three green the length you hit your full 8-iron (so, say, 135 to 165 yards depending on your own personal abilities). If you succeed, you win $5M. If you fail, you go to jail for 5 years with no chance of early parole.

Some other details:

• You have 30 consecutive days to complete the challenge.
  • You get to hit up to 250 balls per day (so, up to 7500 balls).
  • There's nothing tricky about the green or hole or anything - it's a regular hole, a regular green with regular size, firmness, stimp, etc.
  • The hole location will change daily (and the tees will be adjusted so the yardage stays within five yards of your full 8-iron distance).
  • Balls you previously hit magically disappear so you can't bank a ball in or something.
  • Nobody else can play the hole - it's magically placed in your back yard or something.

Do you take the bet?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I take the bet.

7500 balls at between 12500:1 and 2500:1 odds? Sure. Plus those odds are for amateur golfers (the 12500:1 end), and I'm better than the average amateur. Plus, those are the odds for a player playing the hole once in the middle of playing other holes and hitting other clubs. The odds go down quite a bit for a player getting to hit 250 shots to the same target.

My strategy would depend on the hole location: if it's in the back, I'm definitely playing a 7-iron or even a 6-iron and rolling the ball back to the hole.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nope.

If I remember correctly, the odds of an ace are north of 12,000/1 for the average schmuck...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, David in FL said:

Nope.

If I remember correctly, the odds of an ace are north of 12,000/1 for the average schmuck...

12500, and you're better than an average golfer, AND you're playing the SAME HOLE repeatedly.

I'd take the bet. One of those balls is bound to dumb luck its way in.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

After reading the OP, I’d take the bet. That is a lot of chances. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Nope, I would pass on that wager.

I know how many hole in ones I have, vs how many rounds I have played. 

Way too much luck involved to make it a worth while bet. 

5 years in the pen? No way.

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Definitely no.  I've had one hole in one in my life.  I'd need more goes than 250 per day.  Like @David in FL said, the potential upside just isn't worth the risk.  Plus, there was no mention of weather in the hypo.

I'd hypothetically take the bet. But I would like to know which jail. I mean, is it the local pokey? Or am I going to be with hand core prisoners. I'd hate to be regretting my decision while being traded for lucky strikes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

21 minutes ago, jamo said:

I'll take the bet. It would be quite a story to tell in prison. 

Better than I ripped the tag off the pillow 😜

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, jamo said:

I'll take the bet. It would be quite a story to tell in prison. 

Q: "Whaddya in for?"

A: "Failing to get a hole in one."

I don't understand many of the "no" votes. If you're a reasonably good golfer, the odds are pretty well in your favor.

Wasn't there someone trying to hit hole-in-one with 10,000 balls and did not make it?

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Yukari said:

Wasn't there someone trying to hit hole-in-one with 10,000 balls and did not make it?

I don't think so. The European Tour has done 500 in a day twice, I think.

Note: This thread is 1719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!