iacas

Egg on a Pizza

32 posts / 4341 viewsLast Reply

So, we put eggs (over easy) on burgers with cheese and bacon… Why not on a pizza? Whether hard-boiled (the yolk, mostly?) or softer and possibly runny like the burger… why not? Anyone ever tried it? Or maybe it's done, but just not very often?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Whether hard-boiled (the yolk, mostly?) or softer and possibly runny like the burger… why not? Anyone ever tried it? Or maybe it's done, but just not very often?

I have not tried it, but I have seen it on a cooking video before. 

I think it would be delicious. I would go with an over-easy egg. 

Of course, as I look on YouTube, I've forgotten "breakfast pizza," but I was specifically NOT talking about that. I was talking about regular "dinner" style pizza.

I travel a lot for work and have had this somewhere and loved it. I can’t remember if it was in Cleveland or Minneapolis.  I just remember it was cold and the pizza hit the spot.  It had a white sauce not red sauce.  

I would put egg yoke on pretty much anything though.  

I have not tried it, but there is a place in Laughlin NV, that will make a pizza with scrambled eggs, sausage, and/or ham, cheese, onions, and pizza sauce.

I saw it on the menue while ordering a Taco Pizza......made with fish.

Edited by Patch

8 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Never. Shameful. 

^^^^  This  ^^^^

What is this world coming to?!

9 minutes ago, David in FL said:

^^^^  This  ^^^^

What is this world coming to?!

Says the chipper guy.

Around the Detroit area there is a place that makes breakfast pizza.   It is fantastic.  It is a regular pizza with scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese and sausage.   

58 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

It is a regular pizza with scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese and sausage.   

That actually sounds pretty good, I might have to try it sometime.  :beer:
One probably needs a cold barley pop to wash it down the hatch...

I've tried it and wasn't a fan. If combined with bacon or something it probably works, but I don't want my pizzas to taste of egg. If I want egg and bacon I make egg and bacon and put it on some homemade sourdough bread.

I've had it. Don't remember the exact recipe, but it had carmelized onions on it and ricotta I believe, no tomato sauce. It was good.

I first encountered egg on a pizza in Italy, I think in Rome, probably 15-20 years ago although I guess they've probably been doing it for decades or centuries. Thought it was weird at first, but tasted good and wondered why haven't I seen it more in the US. Will occasionally put an egg on a pizza I make myself.

This doesn't look pretty, but tastes good, at least I thought so. I cook my pizzas for 7 minutes at 550 (that's the highest my oven will go), but that's not enough to cook the egg, so I turn off the oven and leave the pizza in for a couple of minutes.

Oh, and if it's not on YouTube - IT DOESN'T EXIST! 😜

This is an approximation of what the pizza w/egg I had in Italy looked like, Instagram of course did not exist, nor was taking photos of your food a thing, I wish I had taken a photo of it, it was much prettier than this (there was expensive fish and greens and prosciutto), it was a shame to eat it. Off topic, but I love pizza and tried as many different places as I could in Italy, they make good pizza there, probably gained a few pounds, lol. Some of the pizza trends (some already out of fashion or never took off) that eventually started in the US, I saw in Italy well before they started here.

eggpizza.jpg

5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

This is an approximation of what the pizza w/egg I had in Italy looked like, Instagram of course did not exist, nor was taking photos of your food a thing, I wish I had taken a photo of it, it was much prettier than this (there was expensive fish and greens and prosciutto), it was a shame to eat it. Off topic, but I love pizza and tried as many different places as I could in Italy, they make good pizza there, probably gained a few pounds, lol. Some of the pizza trends (some already out of fashion or never took off) that eventually started in the US, I saw in Italy well before they started here.

Slightly off topic but if you remember any of the names of the pizza places you went to I'd love to hear them. The wife and I will be spending 3 nights in Rome and 3 nights in Naples in September and would love pizza recommendations.

I've only had egg on breakfast pizza and I liked it. I'd definitely be willing to try it on regular pizza too though, it sounds good.

My wife makes a good breakfast pizza. But on a regular pizza.....uh......no.

53 minutes ago, klineka said:

Slightly off topic but if you remember any of the names of the pizza places you went to I'd love to hear them. The wife and I will be spending 3 nights in Rome and 3 nights in Naples in September and would love pizza recommendations.

I've only had egg on breakfast pizza and I liked it. I'd definitely be willing to try it on regular pizza too though, it sounds good.

Oy, sorry, it was so long ago, and I never kept a journal, but was staying around Campo de' Fiori in Rome, great food marketplace, and I had a fair number of pizzas walking distance from there.