Sign in to follow this  
Sandtrapp220

How Strip Paint From Putter Head

9 posts / 2719 viewsLast Reply

Ok ,first of all don't laugh. My 90 year old father, (who has passed recently) decided to paint his spider putter Head with a brush. What is the easiest and best way to strip the head. He also painted the face.ūüėĖ

2 minutes ago, Sandtrapp220 said:

Ok ,first of all don't laugh. My 90 year old father, (who has passed recently) decided to paint his spider putter Head with a brush. What is the easiest and best way to strip the head. He also painted the face.ūüėĖ

I would try different solvents like paint thinner, rubbing alcohol or acetone to see which one works best.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would use a wire brush wheel on a bench setup or with a drill.
Place the drill on a bench and have someone hold it securely.
Various brush stiffness are available and the brush should remove the paint in most areas.
A little touch up may be required in areas the brush can not be used.

You can get a small, portable sandblaster for less than $50.  Probably the easiest, most effective, and least damaging method...

1 hour ago, Sandtrapp220 said:

I'd try acetone or some other kind of paint thinner first, unless you want to strip it down to the bare metal, in which case brush away. Don't forget to wear eye protection. Wire wheels  can fling tiny pieces of wire everywhere. 

18 minutes ago, billchao said:

I'd try acetone or some other kind of paint thinner first, unless you want to strip it down to the bare metal, in which case brush away. Don't forget to wear eye protection. Wire wheels  can fling tiny pieces of wire everywhere. 

Totally agree with the acetone. Just some on a q tip will take most paint off if it's only a small amount. If it's more, then a shop towel will work. This way you don't damage the finish unless you really rub the acetone with a more abrasive towel. Wouldn't do wire or sand unless last resort because you will probably be refinishing the club at the end of that process.

11 minutes ago, Adam C said:

Totally agree with the acetone. Just some on a q tip will take most paint off if it's only a small amount. If it's more, then a shop towel will work. This way you don't damage the finish unless you really rub the acetone with a more abrasive towel. Wouldn't do wire or sand unless last resort because you will probably be refinishing the club at the end of that process.

My understanding was that the OP wanted to completely strip the putter in order to refinish.

If that’s not the case, then sandblasting would be inappropriate.

I've used citristip to strip paint fill from my Ping ie1 irons.  Sold at any hardware store.

in fact, I'd check the hardware store before you start with the wire wheels etc... You paint this stuff on and let it sit.  Then wash it off.  Might take a few times but seriously, hit up the hardware store paint dept.

Edited by Typhoon92