IGNORED

What's the Point of Irons When There are Hybrids?

Hugh Jars
Note: This thread is 1833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently use 3h and 4h but i had Acer XDS 6h and 7h made that i used for a while. Really nice, get the ball up with ease.

Good for when the swings off or when i play in the cold weather as hybrids dont sting the hands on crap shots :-D

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I no longer carry an iron longer than a 6. First I replaced the 2 iron with a hybrid. Then eventually the flight of my 3 iron started getting lower and lower, and the 4. The 5 was still going OK, but I was losing some yardage with it as well. My buddy had the TM Rescue hybrids in 3,4, & 5, and he couldn't hit them to save his life! The next time we played I stuck them in my bag, and they were great! I loved them and asked what he wanted for them. He said "How about 70 bucks?" and I said "Sold!" 

I am not really a hybrid fan.  I only carry one, a 3H which I use more for chipping off a tight lie around the greens than for anything else.  But it can work out as a driving tool on shorter par 4 holes.  My personal problem with hybrids is the "go left" thing which many posts mention. 

My observation is the hybrid Vs long Iron is a Ford/Chevy argument.  Different strokes for different folks I guess, but for me I like my 4 and 5 Irons over any hybrids I have owned.

Butch

I love my Heavenwood Hybrids, I only carry the 3 now a days since it was what I hit the par 5 double eagle shot from 225 out. The 5 went as far as my 5 iron and I was carrying too many clubs so it had to go (I love irons!, you can shape shots a lot easier then hybrids) 

On 3/7/2019 at 2:24 AM, SloopDanB said:

On eBay, they sell iDrive Hybrids. Not only do they have 8 & 9's, they also have lofts equal to PW, LW & SW! I have them. I use them. They are awesome. I've gotten all my hybrids through the eBay seller "ProSeriesGolf". He's in Michigan and all my clubs have arrived in perfect condition. Most importantly, the clubs work! 

Thanks for this. I have just ordered an 8 hybrid. Are they clones of any particular club/brand?

On 3/16/2019 at 8:24 PM, Hugh Jars said:

Thanks for this. I have just ordered an 8 hybrid. Are they clones of any particular club/brand?

I think they are close to the Taylormade Burners...

Those appear to be similar to the Tour Edge iron-woods that I have. They have an iron face but are weighted similar to a hybrid. I hit them better than traditional hybrids - so far.

I use two hybrids. 22 and 18 degree. The reason why i still use traditional 4, 5, 6 etc irons is trajectory and distance control. Even with "players hybrids" they're not easy to flight low or take a little off and still hold a green. Not for me, anyway. 

On 3/6/2019 at 8:56 AM, uitar9 said:

I've decided I want to enjoy the round, not slave over constant improvement, so just use clubs I can hit consistently. 

Words of wisdom. Unless you do it for a living.

• Thumbs Up 1

- Disc Golfer

On 3/5/2019 at 10:58 PM, Hugh Jars said:

So I've been building up my stock pile of hybrids steadily over the last few months. I use a 3, 5, 6 and 7.

I just find them so much easier to hit and so versatile. When struck clean it is oh so sweet. I can use them off the tee, off the deck. They are great to use in the rough, on the edge of the green and when scrambling from underneath trees. 

My 6 and 7 hybrids are both Cobra F-Max's. Compared to the iron equivalent I have I absolutely smash them. They feel like butter.

If they released an 8 or 9 I'd probably get them too.

What advantage does an iron have over a hybrid exactly? As a weekend hacker, I cant seem to reason with using irons.

And does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes an 8 or 9 hybrid?

Thanks

Different strokes I guess (pun intended). I have tried hybrids and I never warmed up to them. I just couldn't hit them as well as the irons. Until recently, I was fine down to the 4 iron. One day that ended and I remembered a friend years ago telling me about the wonders of a 7 wood. I figured what the heck and I found a Ping G25 7 wood on eBay in great condition. Wow! I should have done it years ago! My 7 wood is money, and a Ping G25 5 wood has also made its way into my bag.

Edited by Another9

I just recently benched my 7 wood because I am not consistent with it. At some point I will try to work it back into the bag though.

"as a weekend hacker.."

Yes, as a weekend hacker, then hybrids would probably work best. If that's all you plan on doing, then it's all good. but... if you decide to really improve and play better, Irons will make a world of difference. I only play one hybrid- a 19* Adams 3. And as someone else mentioned it's used mostly when it's a bit of a grabby lie that would make it tough to get a solid long iron on it. IMO, hybrids tend to balloon more and be much more affected by the wind. Irons can be worked lower OR higher depending on need. And yes, you could probably work a hybrid a bit if you really try, but as a self described "weekend hacker", it's probably something to avoid without the skill set involved..  

A couple of years ago I could hit my 3 iron perfectly.  Now I struggle to hit it and have removed both the 3 and 4 irons from my bag and replaced them with a 4 hybrid.  Unless you really need the ability to shot shape and the versatility that irons offer, hybrids are really useful down till about a 7 or so.  Beyond that, you really need irons for their versatility.  After all, those are your scoring clubs.

I really wouldn't mind getting hybrids till about a 6 or so, but vitamin M is holding up that plan 🙁

But one thing I have found.  Hybrids are a lot easier to hit for me.  And I have no idea where this hook machine thing comes from.  I can still slice my hybrid, though less often than the long irons

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

8 hours ago, pganapathy said:

A couple of years ago I could hit my 3 iron perfectly.  Now I struggle to hit it and have removed both the 3 and 4 irons from my bag and replaced them with a 4 hybrid.  Unless you really need the ability to shot shape and the versatility that irons offer, hybrids are really useful down till about a 7 or so.  Beyond that, you really need irons for their versatility.  After all, those are your scoring clubs.

I really wouldn't mind getting hybrids till about a 6 or so, but vitamin M is holding up that plan 🙁

But one thing I have found.  Hybrids are a lot easier to hit for me.  And I have no idea where this hook machine thing comes from.  I can still slice my hybrid, though less often than the long irons

I am still trying to unlock the secret of hitting hybrids consistently. Right now I have a 4 hybrid and 2 and 3 iron-woods. On the range I can stripe all 3, but on course it’s grounders and shank shots.

(edited)

Still havent hear a convincing argument to turn me away from using hybrids. I wonder how many people out there either dont realise how easy it is to use hybrids are or see it as an ego thing; not wanting to use them in front of other people in fear of ridicule.

Using hybrids has literally taken 8 strokes off my round on average.

I feel for the guys out there slaving away, enduring endless frustation trying to learn to hit long irons and getting nowhere.

A lot of people say that they cant hit a hybrid but can hit a long iron no problems - I call BS on this for most of them. If you can't hit a hybrid you shouldnt be going anywhere near trying to hit a long iron off the ground. They are in existance to make life easier. Or you havent really given them a go.

Edited by Hugh Jars

9 hours ago, Hugh Jars said:

Still havent hear a convincing argument to turn me away from using hybrids.

Were you expecting to? If you hit them better, play them. It's your bag. Nobody is going to tell you what to do with it.

I wonder how many people out there either dont realise how easy it is to use hybrids are or see it as an ego thing; not wanting to use them in front of other people in fear of ridicule.

Hybrids are mainstream clubs these days. Most tour players carry at least one. Mocking someone for playing hybrids would be akin to mocking someone for using a 460cc driver.

I feel for the guys out there slaving away, enduring endless frustation trying to learn to hit long irons and getting nowhere.

This is a bit of an exaggeration isn't it? I literally never see anyone slaving away in frustration trying to learn to hit a long iron. Most people go the path of least resistance and switch to hybrids or even higher lofted woods. Much easier to spend money on new equipment so seek improvement than it is to work for it.

A lot of people say that they cant hit a hybrid but can hit a long iron no problems - I call BS on this for most of them. If you can't hit a hybrid you shouldnt be going anywhere near trying to hit a long iron off the ground.

Most people that I've seen complaining that they "can't hit a hybrid" are talking about a tendency to hook the ball with hybrids. It's not that they can't physically hit a hybrid, just that the miss is too penal or too frequent to be of any benefit over an iron.

I'm in that camp. I used to carry a 2h and a 4h, ended up taking the 4h out of the bag and putting my 4i back in. The miss with the 4i is safer than playing Russian Roulette with the 4h.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I wonder how many people out there either dont realise how easy it is to use hybrids are or see it as an ego thing; not wanting to use them in front of other people in fear of ridicule.

You’re a relatively new, higher hcp golfer.  As such, it’s hard for you to understand the ability of a skilled player with clubs which cause you to struggle.

I’m glad that you’ve found something that works well for you.  I like my hybrids too.  But it’s a mistake, and quite frankly a bit arrogant, to believe that your limited experience will equate to others who may be more skilled and experienced than you.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

11 hours ago, Hugh Jars said:

Still havent hear a convincing argument to turn me away from using hybrids. I wonder how many people out there either dont realise how easy it is to use hybrids are or see it as an ego thing; not wanting to use them in front of other people in fear of ridicule.

A lot of people say that they cant hit a hybrid but can hit a long iron no problems - I call BS on this for most of them. If you can't hit a hybrid you shouldnt be going anywhere near trying to hit a long iron off the ground. They are in existance to make life easier. Or you havent really given them a go.

Are you talking about carrying an entire bag of hybrids? Or carrying one or two hybrids? I don't think anyone mocks anyone over carrying a hybrid. I'm not sure I know anyone other than my wife who doesn't carry at least one hybrid. Some people may feel a blow to their ego by carrying an ENTIRE BAG of hybrids. But it if works for you, go for it. 

Personally I find myself in too many situations in which I need to flight the ball, and I find that infinitely easier to do with irons than with hybrids. I carry one hybrid. It's a Cobra baffler and it's my go to club anytime I want to advance the ball as far as possible out of a sketchy lie. On a good lie, I'd much rather hit an iron. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 1833 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!