IGNORED

How Often Do You Get New Clubs?

Jameson Smith
Note:Β This thread is 1821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Having a... let's call it discussion... with my wife about going to buy new golf clubs this weekend. HowΒ often do you get new clubs? Not talking about a random club here or there. I am going to get new irons, wedges and a new driver.Β 

I bought new clubs for Christmas.Β  Β My older clubs were new about 6 years ago.Β 

I'm on your side but don't tell your wife!

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Every time Taylormade comes out with a new model 😝.

I don’t have really good expertise or I’d answer for real. I dunno, 8-10 years?

• iacas changed the title to How Often Do You Get New Clubs?

Two sets of irons in 25+ years. I try new clubs every couple of years. I just don't see any advantage to replacing my gamers.Β 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I got my Ping Zing 2 irons in 1995. Bout my G’s last January. That was my 3rd set counting the Northwestern starter set I played for 2 years when I 1st started playing. It’s all about confidence. If you are still confident in an old set there is no reason to fix what isn’t broken. I finally dumped my old Nike SQ driver today in favor of a Ping G400 which was mostly to be fitted for a driver looking for improvement in my game. I really don’t think there is a correct answer to this question but I’m def the kind of guy who doesn’t like to change. It took me years to find a set of irons to get me to give up my Zing 2’s. I thought of it like meeting the right girl. You just know. I picked up my G’s for the 1st time and I knew they were the right one. For years I couldn’t bring myself to get rid of them. Some guys feel the need to get a new set every couple years. Unless you are made of money I don’t see any reason to constantly buy new clubs. Sorry a bit of a rant but just some thoughts.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid,Β Ping 2016 G 4-UW, Β Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree,Β Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree,Β Ping Craz-EΒ Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Not very often! The thing is these days, that the "set makeups" offered on the rack don't usually match what I have in my bag. At least I haven't found them. I still have my Cleveland 2 hybrid that I bought many years ago when I couldn't hit my 2 iron any more. I now carry TM Rescue hybrids in 3,4, and 5, and my irons begin with the 6. I've seen iron sets that start at the 6, but anything you want to hit longer than that is kind of left up in the air.Β 

That said, I did buy a new set of irons 2 years ago. Cobra King XL's that were 2 years past their expiration date, and on sale for about a quarter of their original cost.Β It's amazing to me how golf clubs have become like dairy products or canned foods! My friend bought a set, and I hit some of them when we went to the range. They felt very solid and I hit them well. My friend told me there was one more set left at the shop, so I went and bought it. Took it to the range and still couldn't hit the 3,4,5 irons. So, I chucked them in the corner and stuck the Rescues back in the bag!

Not often at all. Got my irons a year ago but they were 2nd hand. Last clubs i bought new were an Adams blue 3w and Cleveland Smartsquare blade putter last year (both end of libe sale)

I play as and when i can so for me, getting new stuff just isn't that important as long as it allows me to have fun.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-(Β 

In the bag: Driver:Β Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Usually, I get a new club when an old one breaks.

My clubs are all decidedly old and, mostly, second hand. The newest club is a Tommy Armour GXTΒ SW I bought last year when the shaft snapped in my previous one.

The world really wouldn't end if I popped for new, fitted clubs, but it's hard for me to rationalize spending that kind of money at this time.

Edited by mcanadiens

I've played Hogan irons since 1980, bought my last set in 2004. I'm going to have trouble finding a new set; I guess it Β maybe time to switch brands - I hope Mr. Hogan isn't put off by this.

I've bought Drivers and 3-woods every 3 or 4 years (except when I won one in a TST contest, still playing that one), and I have 3 putters - a Ping Answer that I played in HS (mid 1970's), a Scotty Newport 2.0 that I picked up around 2006, and a Taylormade Spider that I won in a drawing last year.

Equipment companies must hate guys like me.

Β 

I almost forgot, but I received an email about a club fitting event at Pinehurst. If you are looking at an top line experience to get fitted for top of the line club, then maybe this is for you

Homepage_Mast_Large.jpg

The Cradle of American Golf | Plan Your Stay (866) 310-2630 | Discover a new way to play and relax.

Β 

Edited by Wally Fairway
Added fitting event like

Players play, tough players win!

About every 10 years.

I’m due...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I neitherΒ plan my club purchases nor follow new club releases.

When I got serious about golfing a few years ago I bought a top-of-the-line set and have no plan of changing.

Nave

I usually replace my irons about every five years or so. Drivers are usually sooner (maybe 3 years). I replaced irons this past fall and driver is a couple years old. Been using same Scotty putter for about 5 years. Right now I like what I have so no reason to do anything rash.Β 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white)Β 

15 hours ago, Jameson Smith said:

Having a... let's call it discussion... with my wife about going to buy new golf clubs this weekend. HowΒ often do you get new clubs? Not talking about a random club here or there. I am going to get new irons, wedges and a new driver.Β 

I update my driver every 2-3 years. I just like getting a new driver. I update my irons every 5 years. I'll update my wedges when I feel like they are wearing out. I never really go for a full set because I am not a one brand guy.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Just now, saevel25 said:

I update my driver every 2-3 years. I just like getting a new driver. I update my irons every 5 years. I'll update my wedges when I feel like they are wearing out. I never really go for a full set because I am not a one brand guy.

I created a post all about thisΒ 

The gist of my story is very similar to @saevel25. I get a new driver every 3 years or so... I too like new drivers. Irons and putters last me 10 years or more. Wedges every 2 years like clockwork. I am not a one brand guy either.Β 

Β 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs.Β 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.Β 

Would literally buy a whole new set every single year, if I could convince my wife to agree.Β  Β 

but, I can't.Β  so..Β Β 

I play 3 seasons with my Driver.Β  But, I could see the Taylor Made M3 I bought last year lasting longer.Β Β 

I buy 1 new wedge every year.Β  so, of my 3 wedges, none has more than 2 seasons on it.Β Β 

I'd say I get about 7 years out of my irons.Β  Β but, that just comes down to when I feel I have the disposable income to drop $1000+ on a new set.Β  Β 

just bought a new Scotty Cameron putter last year.Β  probably gonna be a decade before I get another.Β Β 

Β 

:tmade:Β Β -Β SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:Β  - F9 3W, 15Β degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade:Β - M2 hybrid, 19Β degree
:tmade:Β - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno:Β MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grindΒ - 56Β degree
:bettinardi:Β - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

On 3/8/2019 at 12:43 PM, lastings said:

Would literally buy a whole new set every single year, if I could convince my wife to agree.Β  Β 

but, I can't.Β  so..Β Β 

I play 3 seasons with my Driver.Β  But, I could see the Taylor Made M3 I bought last year lasting longer.Β Β 

I buy 1 new wedge every year.Β  so, of my 3 wedges, none has more than 2 seasons on it.Β Β 

I'd say I get about 7 years out of my irons.Β  Β but, that just comes down to when I feel I have the disposable income to drop $1000+ on a new set.Β  Β 

just bought a new Scotty Cameron putter last year.Β  probably gonna be a decade before I get another.Β Β 

Β 

Would love to convince my wife to let me buy a new set every year. Mine now are only about 2 years old and based on this thread, seems like I am looking to replace quite a bit sooner than others. Not going to admit that to the boss lady but always interesting to hear what other people do.Β 

I have never replaced my entire bag (or close to it) in the same year. I usually get one or two pieces at a time. Last year I bought some used iron heads and built my irons, the year before I got replaced my putter. This year it's going to be my long overdue wedge replacement.Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Went 10 years before I replaced my set two years ago. I thenΒ went on and have spent about $350 each of the last two years tweaking my set with hybrids and wedges. Just spent $260 on re-gripping. I have the itch and will probably have a 5 to 6 year cadence forΒ set replacement going forward.

Does your wife spend money on handbags, purses, shoes, mani/pedicures? You could always escalate the argument, but that is probably not a good ideaΒ πŸ˜‰Β 

Note:Β This thread is 1821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!