IGNORED

How Often Do You Get New Clubs?

Jameson Smith
Note: This thread is 1820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New technology is great but  I played my best golf using Cleveland TA5 irons in graphite stocks from circa 2000. Then I stopped playing regularly for several years. When I came back, I went on a club binge...various hybrids, wedges, a couple of drivers, and 3 sets of great Mizunos (still have one set). Then my coach said it was probably time for senior shafts at age 72. I found a set of TA6s in stock Cleveland graphite senior shafts. They are like magic for me. The overall weight and the weaker lofts are just right. I now have a pristine set of TA5 senior series irons as well. For me, these older more forgiving higher MOI clubs will be in my bag for whatever golfing time I have left. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've had my Adams Idea Tech A4 forged irons forever and don't plan on changing any time soon. I did just get the sets matching gap wedge. I have had my Ping Zing 2 putter for 28 years so I'm a guy that goes with what I'm comfortable with. I could be talked into a new driver and 3 wood though :-D

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

I've just changed my iron after 7 years, my driver is 4 year old and will probably last a couple of years again. This year will probably be a new fairway wood or a putter, don't know yet. My putter is decent and 8 year old and after my driver it's my 4 iron, nothing in between so there is a gap to fill there!

1 hour ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I've had my Adams Idea Tech A4 forged irons forever and don't plan on changing any time soon. I did just get the sets matching gap wedge. I have had my Ping Zing 2 putter for 28 years so I'm a guy that goes with what I'm comfortable with. I could be talked into a new driver and 3 wood though :-D

I had those irons. I gave them to my son when he started playing. They were nice.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I went through my whole bag last year, really starting in the late summer/fall of 17 and finishing in the fall of 18, replacing everything. It was the first time I had done that in 25 years actually. I had changed drivers a few times, and the odd club here and there, but had the same irons since 1992. I don't see any major changes for the next few years unless I have some physical changes, but I will probably pay a little more attention to replacing wedges.

Hindsight is 20/20 so they say. Looking back, I would say that for the last few years, every 5-6 years or so would have maybe produce a significant change assuming your skills were constant. If your skills are the same or better, if you haven't changed in 10 years, your equipment may be holding you back, if nothing else because the availability of quality of fitting is so much better.

Edited by dbuck

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I still use the used 2007 Nike CCi forged clubs I got when I first started as well as the used R7 3wood (gave the R7 driver to my nephew last november and purchased a Titleist 915D3 off eBay for $83.00  I have 3 different wedges... 1 cleavland, 1 KZG and 1 Genex

I just noticed today that my Sand Wedge is longer then the Gap Wedge.. I wondered why sometimes I hit them the same distance

I would love an entire new golf set.. Titleist 917 AP3's or Mizuno JPX 919 forged :w00t:

some new wedges (Titleist BV's, Cleavland RTX 4's?) maybe a new putter... oh and 3wood and hybrid.

But when little money I get to play golf is ALL I have for golf so I play with very old stuff, I sure would love to play with a set of clubs that are better lofted then Nike's.. 7 iron is 35*, the new 7 irons are 30 or 31

I'm still playing my first set, which is roughly 8-10 years ago.

A friend of mine who keeps an eye on the industry noted that you'd really benefit from upgrading 20-30 year old clubs, but anything within the last few years is only marginal improvements.

New set in the early 80's, new set in the early 2000's, and last year. Periodic new set of grips. That's it, this is probably my last set of irons, I'm not opposed to a new driver down the line, though. 

Haven't purchased a "New" club in many years - been playing 1930's era hickory shafted clubs for 10+ years. Last fall, I decided to put together a somewhat modern "New to Me" set of clubs (Ping G30 woods - i20 irons all with senior graphite shafts) in recognition of age making hitting 80 year old blades a little too difficult for daily play.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

I change out my wedges every year to year to year and a half. Particularly my gap wedge, which is the club i mostly practice with. Ive been playing the same model of iron for 5 years or so (714AP2) but ive replaced the PW-7i on that set last year because of wear.  My woods and hybrids i dont change out much at all. Ive been using the same driver and three wood for the last 5 years. Hybrids longer than that. 

I purchased my first set of golf clubs early last year. I "upgraded" my putter during a Black Friday sale at my CC as they had Scotty's 25% off so I couldn't resist. I purchased my clubs after taking a lesson and not being very good (I'm still not) and I think they're wonderful. If my game gets considerably better over the next few years I'll consider upgrading and keeping these for myself as I age or as a spare set for friends that want to play but don't play enough for their own. I hope this comes to fruition as it means I've gotten so much better than I am now but I'm not holding my breath..lol

:cleveland: Launcher HB driver (9 degree), Launcher HB 3 & 5 woods,  4H Launcher hybrids, CBX 5-GW, 54 & 58 degree wedges, :cleveland: RHO 35” :srixon: Z Star XV 

On 3/7/2019 at 2:43 PM, Jameson Smith said:

Having a... let's call it discussion... with my wife about going to buy new golf clubs this weekend. How often do you get new clubs? Not talking about a random club here or there. I am going to get new irons, wedges and a new driver. 

Typically, it's been between 5 and 10 years throughout my golfing life.  That said, the set I have now (bought new 3 years ago) will probably be the last set I ever buy.  At age 72, My game is simply not in a place where any new clubs would be justified.  I play an "R" flex now, and since I don't see any really advantage to be gained by going to a "Senior" shaft, I can't see that as an excuse my wife would accept.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Current age of clubs in the bag:

* Got my Edel putter in 2015.  Going to keep this one a very long time.  I'm not even sure how I'd go about getting it regripped if I needed to.

* Irons summer 2017 I think.  They'll last quite some time.

* Wedges summer 2015.  Next in the bag to be replaced.

* Hybrids:  3H last summer, 4H the summer before.  They're sticking around for a while. 

* Woods:  I carry a 4-wood, I got it last summer.

* Driver:  I want to say summer 2015?  Might have been summer 2014.  Either way, I'm very happy with it.

The real answer for me:  rarely.  I'm semi-allergic to spending money I don't feel like I need to spend and convincing myself to make a major purchase is tough for me, mentally.  I don't believe, for certainly at least 12 of the clubs, that a new one would lower my scores or make me enjoy golf more.  Also, I feel like all my clubs are performing well, but I can see the argument to replace my wedges (especially since I am carrying a 50 degree wedge and a 49-degree wedge-that-is-an-iron). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I’ve had my G5’s for 7 years roughly...I don’t know if there’s really any advantage of getting newer ones...I’d do myself more good by improving my swing and put the $400-600 towards greens fees

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

My driver is a Titleist 909d, which I suppose is from 2009 so celebrating its 10th birthday. Irons are Bridgestone GC mids, which are a couple years older than that. 

I may have reason to update the driver (to a ~2016 release?), but I like my old irons. I prefer the traditional lofts.

I don't buy new clubs, I buy used clubs, so I sort of look at a few years ago and see if there was a big improvement then.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about purchasing a new putter at the moment actually.  Still not exactly sure which putter I'm most interested in, but its been almost 10 years since I have even thought about wanting a new putter.  My trusty Scotty Cameron is still in my bag!

GEORGIA! GO DAWGS!

Golf!

HAVE A NICE DAY!

Note: This thread is 1820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!