IGNORED

My Swing (hoselpalooza)

hoselpalooza
Note:Β This thread is 1784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator
On 3/18/2019 at 7:06 PM, hoselpalooza said:

@iacas, thanks for your feedback. i've thought a bit about the pros and cons of chin up vs. down and i'm not sure why down would be better.ο»Ώ

Your head and neck tilt down the entire downswing, So your Β body seems to know what the better position is, as it's trying to get there the whole backswing.

if i lower the chin while maintaining the same postureΒ it's going to restrict the turn and increase tension.

No, it doesn't have to.

i just fixed this problem and don't want to go backwards. there could be some other ways around thisΒ though i can only think of one right now: move farther away from the ball, lean forward/decrease spine angle, move the hands farther away from the body, and perhaps shallow out the swing. those are a lot of changes to introduce just to lower the chin!Β 

Or… just lower your chin?

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Your head and neck tilt down the entire downswing, So your Β body seems to know what the better position is, as it's trying to get there the whole backswing.

No, it doesn't have to.

Or… just lower your chin?

@iacas, thanks for your feedback. i'm going to try lowering the chin to the point where i can still pass my lead shoulder underneath.Β 

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizunoΒ hi-fli, c-taper 130g;Β 3-pw: mizunoΒ mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizunoΒ t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

Β 

• Administrator
Just now, hoselpalooza said:

@iacas, thanks for your feedback. i'm going to try lowering the chin to the point where i can still pass my lead shoulder underneath.Β 

You can always make the shoulders steeper.

I'm not saying you should make them too steep, just… that you can almost stick your chin in your chest and still turn the shoulder under the chin.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

You can always make the shoulders steeper.

i don't mean to be dense but what do you mean by steeper?

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizunoΒ hi-fli, c-taper 130g;Β 3-pw: mizunoΒ mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizunoΒ t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

Β 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

The opposite of flatter.

17 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

I think he means the plane on which the shoulder turns? More red, not black.

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 9.37.39 PM.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I think he means the plane on which the shoulder turns? More red, not black.

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 9.37.39 PM.png

this is what i was asking. there's more than one plane.

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

The opposite of flatter.

Image result for eyeroll

my swing thread

Β 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

Image result for eyeroll

Dude, it's not like I'm using cryptical language. You have some responsibility, as the person getting free help with his golf swing, to do a little work. Like Googling "Steeper shoulder turn" or something.

And how do I see you're not looking out of the center of your eyes? Because I can see it.

01.jpg

I can also see that your chin goes DOWN quite a bit, and your head moves forward quite a bit, during the backswing. Fortunately, your shoulders and "spine angle" are pretty good. Steep enough. That's why you can turn the left shoulder under your chin, even after it's dropped a few inches.

02.jpg

Then you get evenΒ closerΒ to the ball with your head and your chin goes down even MORE.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Dude, it's not like I'm using cryptical language. You have some responsibility, as the person getting free help with his golf swing, to do a little work. Like Googling "Steeper shoulder turn" or something.

two things come to mind when i think of steeper shoulders. the first i've seen commonly referred to as "shoulder tilt", and usually describes the height of the lead shoulder compared to the rear shoulder. the other one was shared byΒ Β @nevets88.

so which one were you referring to?

my swing thread

Β 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

two things come to mind when i think of steeper shoulders. the first i've seen commonly referred to as "shoulder tilt", and usually describes the height of the lead shoulder compared to the rear shoulder. the other one was shared byΒ Β @nevets88.

I'm not sayingΒ youΒ need your shoulders to be steeper, I'm saying that if you made your chin lower, you could always turn more just by turning your shoulders on a steeper plane.

And… your chin drops the whole backswing AND half of your downswing. So big whoop that you're setting up with it up. It's lower the rest of the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

@iacas, just wanted to add i really appreciate you taking the time to make and post those images with additional feedback. thank you. πŸ‘

my swing thread

Β 

• 2 weeks later...

had first lesson in a long time today. worked on getting the center of mass to work properly in the backswing and transition. focusing on keeping the right arm higher or palm facing downward until p2. working on long irons to really feel the center of mass.Β 

here is a low-resolution video of this with a 16.5* driving iron:

once the new backswing is ingrained into muscle memory i'll focus onΒ engaging the right foot and allowing some external rotation to happen to trigger the rotation of my body.Β 

my swing thread

Β 

p.s. was looking back at my arms to startΒ the backswing to ensureΒ the club was on the right path; not a a normal moveΒ πŸ˜‰

my swing thread

Β 

10 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

had first lesson in a long time today. worked on getting the center of mass to work properly in the backswing and transition. focusing on keeping the right arm higher or palm facing downward until p2. working on long irons to really feel the center of mass.Β 

here is a low-resolution video of this with a 16.5* driving iron:

once the new backswing is ingrained into muscle memory i'll focus onΒ engaging the right foot and allowing some external rotation to happen to trigger the rotation of my body.Β 

The swing is looking good. Shift the camera a few inches to the left to get it right on the toe line for a better DTL view. This helps with seeing where the club head is at A6 and tells you whether your swing is on plane, over the top or lagging slightly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The swing is looking good. Shift the camera a few inches to the left to get it right on the toe line for a better DTL view. This helps with seeing where the club head is at A6 and tells you whether your swing is on plane, over the top or lagging slightly.

thanks for your feedback, @boogielicious. will mention this next time i'm at the studio. πŸ‘

Β 

my swing thread

Β 

• 1 month later...

tl;dr -- 2 things: seekingΒ aΒ cure for the lefts and wantΒ to learn to lower trajectory!Β 

recently picked up a new (to me) 13* TEE CB4 3-wood and am having loads of fun with it. first 3-wood i've owned and this thing goooooooeeeeesssss. fighting a case of the lefts and have no plans to bag this until i can tighten up lateral dispersion. a free-swinging pull hook can easily travel 60y-80y left of target which is DOA on most courses around here.

there are a couple things i've tried that may solve this (see comments below video) but i'm keen to know (and would greatly appreciate) if anyone canΒ spot something in my swing that has pull written all over it. this shot in particular was hit well but was pulled just left and beyond the small tree above my hands at address:

i've found a band-aid solution in weakening the grip which usually produces straight to 20y right of target.

separately, after i stopped filming i incorporated some advice from a range buddy that's difficult to explain but seems to have potential. the best way i could describe it is at about p4 i move myΒ right hip just a little bit toward the targetΒ (which initiates a kind of controlled fall) to start the transition and then make a lateral shift before letting the club fall and rotating through. as long as i keep my head back and make the lateral shift before rotatingΒ it seems to straighten out ball flight quite a bit. here's a close facsimile of what i mean (starts at 22s):Β 

lastly, i really want to game this club in windy conditions.Β besides swinging "easy breezy", what are some good ways to hit 3-wood bullets? ball position? tee height?Β 

in any event, can hardly wait to consistently hit this thing straight and low! 😍

p.s. camera angle is slightly off. just a skosh on the wrong side of my hands so it may look like i'm taking the club too far inside at p2 even though shaft is parallel to target.Β 

my swing thread

Β 

Line the camera up along your toe line.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Line the camera up along your toe line.

i know, hence the p.s. above πŸ˜‰

Β 

my swing thread

Β 

Note:Β This thread is 1784 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!