IGNORED

Best Golf Day Ever

Cartboy
Note: This thread is 1819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Cartboy said:

All You Can Eat, All You Can Hit, All You Can Play

Know where that's at . . or was?

I feel like I should, but I can’t put a finger on it...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was at Kiawah a few years ago at Turtle Point and it was Hades hot.  It was 101 when I was getting ready to tee off.  Two guys came up to the tee and said they were paired up with me.  The two were both bigger than NFL linebackers.  I hit my drive about 280, a really good drive for me.  The next guy gets up and hits it 300 easy, but he’s about 6’4 and 250.  His buddy gets up and hits it a good 40 yards farther. At this point, I wanted to tell them to play ahead, but they said they weren’t in a rush.  We continue and they are consistently crushing their tee shots.  I wasn’t even paying attention to my total score, just trying to keep up with them.  After 9 holes, they said it was too hot and they were heading back to the clubhouse.  I kept playing because I was paying for the round and there was no way I was going to quit.  I tee off on #12 and as I’m pulling away from the tee, another cart comes up and the guys says, “do you mind if I play along?”  I said sure, and he tees off.  I put my second shot on the green about 6 ft. from the pin.  He put his about 10.  He misses his and as I’m looking at the green, he says hit it a little harder than you think you need to because the greens aren’t fast today even though it’s very hot.  I did and I birdied the hole.  We keep playing and I’m parring most holes, birdied a few and bogeyed a few.  I’m not really paying attention because we’re having good conversation all along the way.   We get to the last hole and I hit two good shots and I’m on the green, but 40 plus feet away from the hole.  The guy gets up to the green and says, “hey, if you par this one, you’re under.”  I said what do you mean?  He tells me he was watching my scores and said I was 1 under for the back nine.  He also tells me that he originally came out after the other two came in, just to make sure I wasn’t out there laying dead on the course.  After a good laugh, he says good luck, he had to get back to work.  Needless to say I bogeyed the last hole and had to “settle” for par for the back nine.   I’m a 13 handicap and I’d never parred even nine holes before.  Anyway, I wound up shooting a 77, my best round ever.  The story didn’t end there though.  They take my bag off the cart and I head into the clubhouse to use the restroom, and when I come out, there’s a note on my bag.  It says, “go into the pro shop and tell the guys to make a tee time for you at Oak Point, anytime this week”.  I go back in, thinking it’s a joke.  Sure enough, they set up a tee time and said I was golfing with the pro from Oak Point and that he had a good time golfing with me and wanted me to have a round of golf on his side for free.  Not only did I play the best I’ve ever played but I got to play again for free.  My wife still doesn’t believe it was free.  She thought I just wanted to sneak in another round while we were on vacation.

• Like 2

(edited)

Speaking of wifes, a guy came home from golf four hours late, and his wife was waiting for him at the front door, arms crossed.

"Well," he said, "when I got done, I went into the bar, and struck up a conversation with a good looking lady.  One thing led to another, and next thing you know, we got a motel room.  Sorry I'm late."

His wife said, "Played another 18 didn't you?"

Edited by Cartboy

• 3 weeks later...

One of my most memorable days was in league at the country club about ten years ago.  The game was a two-some game, and I was paired with a really nice, older, seriously-ailing guy, now deceased.  The other 2-some in our group was two really nice older guys, one of them also now deceased.

I can picture it like it just happened, but on our second shot on the 9th hole, my partner played the other 2-some's ball.  My partner did not know it, but the other three of us did.  The other 2-some motioned to me to just forget about it, finish the hole, and not make my partner feel bad about it.

At lunch, when the places were announced, we took the last paying one, one stroke over the 2-some we had played with.  My partner was tickled, and I made a motion/look to the other 2-some, to take our place.

They motioned back No, just let it be.

Those are the things the stick with me.

I shot a hole in one on the first hole a couple of weeks ago. It didn’t matter what I did afterward. I was set for the day!

68C3D9EE-4C92-41D4-B43C-89F57884A48E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Years ago I was working in the golf shop and a couple of high school players were giving me crap about beating me. So they talked me into going out after I worked most of the day and I really didn't feel like playing. We started on the back and nine and I played out of my mind. Ended up shooting a 30 on the back nine. The course record was 63 so they are trying to talk me into playing the front nine to see if I could break it. I birdie the first hole on the front nine and go to number two and hit two tee shots in a row OB. I end up making a 9 on the hole. Then I birdie four of the remaining holes and shoot 65. I remember thinking how much fun it was. I stopped at a local bar and grill on the way home and got a steak and a couple beers.Interesting side story to that....when I got home my now X-wife was pissed I came home so late and I explained to her that I went out to play a quick nine and played well etc. She got all pissed off because she wanted me to get home so we could go the mall. I remember thinking....what the hell are you doing with this chick?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

One very good day...  :-)

Hard to believe it’s already been 5 years.  It’s a long thread, but for those that weren’t here, the entire thing is pretty entertaining, if I say so myself!

• Like 1

In David's bag....

So anyway, I was an underacheving 17-year-old guy working as a caddy at a local upscale Country Club in Beverly Hills (though 'upscale' and in the middle of Beverly Hills, the course conditions always appears strangely crappy).  Trying to earn enough money to go to college. I caddied a lot for a local suave and talented golfer and the son of one of the founders (a heck of a golf talent). I would also frequently try to gain favor with the country club's stodgy other co-founder and director of the caddy scholarship program, by caddying for him - a  judge.

At one point, a brash and obnoxious nouveau riche real estate developer, begins appearing at the club. In a wierd altercation between this guy and the judge resulted in me being encouraged by the judge to apply for the annual caddy scholarship award.  So, in short, I won the Caddy Day golf tournament and the scholarship.  But that's not the best day - it happened later.

So the judge and the rich guy continue to irritate each other and to resolve it, the suave son of the other co-founder proposes a team golf match with added huge bet$.  The Judge and his regular golf partner (another snob, but this guy had a bit of game), vs the rich guy (not a good player at all) and the young co-founder's son (an amazing golf talent).

The golf match is held the following day. Word spreads of the stakes involved and a crowd builds. During the game, the rich guy is tanking out even worse than usual, and fakes an injury, allowing the 'talented' co-owner's son to pick a sub.  Crazy enough, he picked me.  Though the judge threatened to pull my scholarship if I played, I decided I would rather humiliate the selfish, conceited Judge than take the scholarship.

By the time we reached the final hole, the score is tied. At the climax of the game, I have a difficult putt to win, rich guys again redoubles the wager to $160,000 per team (no pressure there). I left my putt hanging over the edge of the hole. But at that moment, a huge series of explosions out of nowhere shook the earth and my putt fell in.  We won.

What a great day.

Bill - 

(edited)
1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

So anyway, I was an underacheving 17-year-old guy working as a caddy at a local upscale Country Club in Beverly Hills (though 'upscale' and in the middle of Beverly Hills, the course conditions always appears strangely crappy).  Trying to earn enough money to go to college. I caddied a lot for a local suave and talented golfer and the son of one of the founders (a heck of a golf talent). I would also frequently try to gain favor with the country club's stodgy other co-founder and director of the caddy scholarship program, by caddying for him - a  judge.

At one point, a brash and obnoxious nouveau riche real estate developer, begins appearing at the club. In a wierd altercation between this guy and the judge resulted in me being encouraged by the judge to apply for the annual caddy scholarship award.  So, in short, I won the Caddy Day golf tournament and the scholarship.  But that's not the best day - it happened later.

So the judge and the rich guy continue to irritate each other and to resolve it, the suave son of the other co-founder proposes a team golf match with added huge bet$.  The Judge and his regular golf partner (another snob, but this guy had a bit of game), vs the rich guy (not a good player at all) and the young co-founder's son (an amazing golf talent).

The golf match is held the following day. Word spreads of the stakes involved and a crowd builds. During the game, the rich guy is tanking out even worse than usual, and fakes an injury, allowing the 'talented' co-owner's son to pick a sub.  Crazy enough, he picked me.  Though the judge threatened to pull my scholarship if I played, I decided I would rather humiliate the selfish, conceited Judge than take the scholarship.

By the time we reached the final hole, the score is tied. At the climax of the game, I have a difficult putt to win, rich guys again redoubles the wager to $160,000 per team (no pressure there). I left my putt hanging over the edge of the hole. But at that moment, a huge series of explosions out of nowhere shook the earth and my putt fell in.  We won.

What a great day.

Hmmmm!

Bill Murray.

😎

Edited by Cartboy

12 minutes ago, Cartboy said:

Hmmmm!

Bill Murray.

😎

Nope.

Danny Noonan....  ;-)

In David's bag....

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

What a great day.

You're welcome.

As for me, playing the Ryder Cup style matches in FL with @David in FL is right up on the top of my list along with the many times that I have played Oakland Hills.

- Shane

This does not quite fit the OP, but here goes.

I have an older brother with whom I have only the slightest relationship, but he lives fairly close by.  Tomorrow I plan to squeeze in a round with him and his son (my nephew, with whom I am rather close).  I very much would like for my kids to know him, and I hope we can restart our relationship by meeting for golf sometimes.

That would be the best round of golf for me.

Edited by Cantankerish
completing the thought.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

This does not quite fit the OP, but here goes.

I have an older brother with whom I have only the slightest relationship, but he lives fairly close by.  Tomorrow I plan to squeeze in a round with him and his son (my nephew, with whom I am rather close).  I very much would like for my kids to know him, and I hope we can restart our relationship by meeting for golf sometimes.

That would be the best round of golf for me.

Good luck with that . . . but it makes me happy my older brother does not play golf.

🤣

Edited by Cartboy

Once a year, our group of old guys get together and play one of the more pricier courses in southern nevada. It has all the whistles, and bells a golfer could ever want. You name it, you paid for it. Price is no big deal. 

The best part is getting us all together for some good time golf with some serious shenanigans included. Scores are sort of important.

The beverage cart lady also makes out pretty well for putting up with some of those shenanigans.

It's usually a full days deal, since it starts with breakfast, and ends with a dinner with our families. 

On a personal note, when ever I get to play Pebble, or Bandon, those are pretty special days of golf for me. . 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

After a round a couple of Autumns, I asked my old guys if anyone would be interested in going to/coming to Florida that Winter, and play TPC Sawgrass.  I got delegated to set it up.

The greens fee was over $500, and then you chose your 'Level of Service", at an additional charge.  Let's face it . . . to play one hole.

We didn't do it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 6:42 AM, Cartboy said:

Remington

I get an email from them and nearby Kissimmee Bay almost every day, with specials, if anyone's interested.

Note: This thread is 1819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!