IGNORED

1952 to 1972 MacGregor Forged Iron Sets

6 hours ago, cowhidecovers said:

I have a set of MacGregor XW Registered irons and woods with matching serial numbers in fair condition.  Can you give me any info on these such as manufacture date and value? 

Welcome to the Sand Trap. Most of us would do Google searches for this. I am not aware of a vintage golf club site, but there may be one.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, cowhidecovers said:

I have a set of MacGregor XW Registered irons and woods with matching serial numbers in fair condition.  Can you give me any info on these such as manufacture date and value? 

Search these on eBay and often times it will lead you to a site that deals in vintage clubs.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 3/13/2019 at 2:46 PM, GAA said:

I happen to know more than I should about MacGregor forged irons of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's.

I probably own 18 sets of these vintage beauties.

If you have questions about this era of golf,  I may be able to help get some answers.

I have studied and still use as a reference the Jim Kaplan MacGregor and Wilson golf history catalogs.

Hello. I am a fan of anything and everything old that man has created. What can you tell me about this set of 2-10 Macgregor blades I just picked up? 

macgregor Tourney 2.JPG

Macgregor Tourney1.JPG

WITB:

:ping: G25 8.5 with Hazardous black stiff shaft. Anser 3W 15 degree

:mizuno: MP-14 3-9. 51* Mizuno, :cleveland:54* Cleveland RAW ,60*  588 :odyssey: #2 Stricker special

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/10/2019 at 10:35 PM, topoftheline89 said:

Hello. I am a fan of anything and everything old that man has created. What can you tell me about this set of 2-10 Macgregor blades I just picked up? 

macgregor Tourney 2.JPG

Macgregor Tourney1.JPG

Were you able to find out any info? I'm looking for info as I also have the same set 

IMG-20191223-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20191223-WA0002.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've been using a set of the Macgregor Silver Scot Tourney's, Rec No. 915 and love them. The shafts still have the silver labels on them, saying Tourney V. Would you know what level stiffness that equates to? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks

Hi guys i have just bought a set of macgregor forged tourney custom irons and didnt know if anyone would able to let me know any more info on them? Age, anyone who used to use them on tour, (as apparently the ones I got were used in the open championship)? Thanks

Hello all, I have the opportunity to buy a complete set of McGregor Tour Classic II irons. They come with a bag and trolley and thought they could make a good set to lend to visitors who come to see me and don't want to bother travelling with their clubs...Would it be a good Idea  to have them around ?

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as how @GAA started this topic and hasn't visited the site since June 2019, I'm going to say these questions are probably not going to get answered.

I'm not sure if we have any other MacGregor experts here.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

GAA here. Yes I have been away for about a year and I have seen a few Posts asking questions.

The shaft stiffness question, the Tourney V shaft is a stiff and those were probably second line department store sold clubs and not Pro lines, especially if they do not have a double row of XXX on the upper hosel.

Don't know anything about the Graham Marsh clubs.

On 11/6/2019 at 9:31 AM, gatorz7888 said:

Any help identifying these along with stock specs is appreciated:

IMG_3348.jpeg

The MT's look very much like the 1968-69 M/T's with heavy muscle back. RT2CA. 

The MT Tourney TR9 also is similar. 1969 step sole version with the heavy muscle back.

I probably have five sets of this vintage, most are Step Soles.

IMG_3348.jpeg

IMG_3347.jpeg

On 3/28/2020 at 12:12 PM, Mnl213000 said:

I've been using a set of the Macgregor Silver Scot Tourney's, Rec No. 915 and love them. The shafts still have the silver labels on them, saying Tourney V. Would you know what level stiffness that equates to? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks

• Like 1

I am not familiar with the MacGregor Silver Scot Tourneys.

Do they look closer to the Tommy Armour 985's the Collector 709's or the Tourney Master 234's?  

IMG_3378.jpeg

IMG_3377 2.jpeg

IMG_3375.jpeg

• Like 1

My first set of Mac Gregors was purchased in 1969 I believe.  They were new but not necessarily that tears model

Set of MT- driver through pw(10 iron)

woods were black persimmon  with aluminum insert 

trying to find photos and year clubs were made

Definitely  prior to split sole

can you help

Thank you

Don