IGNORED

1952 to 1972 MacGregor Forged Iron Sets

On 3/13/2019 at 2:46 PM, GAA said:

I happen to know more than I should about MacGregor forged irons of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's.

I probably own 18 sets of these vintage beauties.

If you have questions about this era of golf,  I may be able to help get some answers.

I have studied and still use as a reference the Jim Kaplan MacGregor and Wilson golf history catalogs.

What were the lofts of the 1980 remake of the M85 irons (tour forged on hosel). We’re the lofts the same as the original 1950’s irons?

• 2 weeks later...

@GAA could you help me figure out what year a set of irons I have is? My wife’s grandfather gifted them to me and they were the first clubs I ever used. I’m thinking they are probably from the 80s and I am having such a hard time getting my hand in a full set. I currently have 5,8,9 and 11 irons but want to get the full set so would need 2,3,4,6,7. They are the Mt Tourney TR2A. I feel like maybe having some idea of what year they are from might help me find a set. They have the split sole on them and the MT marked up and down the grooves on the face of the club. 

On 7/9/2020 at 12:31 AM, Jake01234 said:

@GAA could you help me figure out what year a set of irons I have is? My wife’s grandfather gifted them to me and they were the first clubs I ever used. I’m thinking they are probably from the 80s and I am having such a hard time getting my hand in a full set. I currently have 5,8,9 and 11 irons but want to get the full set so would need 2,3,4,6,7. They are the Mt Tourney TR2A. I feel like maybe having some idea of what year they are from might help me find a set. They have the split sole on them and the MT marked up and down the grooves on the face of the club. 

The TR2A's came out in 1969. I have a set of TR1A (3 iron > 9 iron with a TR9 #10 wedge) and the only difference is in the shaft stiffness. The TR2A's are medium firm and the TR1A's the shafts are stiff.

I would be will in to sell them for $65.00 plus shipping. All serial numbers match and have playable leather grips. It would cost a lot to find all those clubs you want individually. Not to mention shipping costs and TIME.

IMG_3840.jpeg.c5276b9aebedf9794c6941a4fcbfa424.jpeg

IMG_3841.jpeg.0f84f854596b2fc7d0308a53d3a5d139.jpeg

IMG_3842.jpeg.c4599eaa5053efd8140c85e64d291306.jpeg

IMG_3849.jpeg.77a364ec219611d3552180b088397445.jpeg

IMG_3843.jpeg.5f6a76977e7b7f6535ec67cc6e1895f6.jpeg

• Like 1

Like I said, 1969. I don't think you could have them redone for less than the $65.00 I am looking for from my set, 9/10 condition.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 1:46 PM, GAA said:

I happen to know more than I should about MacGregor forged irons of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's.

If you have questions about this era of golf,  I may be able to help get some answers.

I have studied and still use as a reference the Jim Kaplan MacGregor and Wilson golf history catalogs.

I have a set 2-9 of Macgregor  Tourney Custom  72. They look much like the 985 but on back there is a red 72 slightly off center towards heel on the step below Tourney Custom. They have Macregor Custom Dynamic shafts and Tourney grips. Can you tell me more about these. Worth anything?    Thank you.   

• 3 weeks later...
Guest smd

So, I have a set of M85 Colokrom that was my first set of clubs.  My dad bought them off of an older gentleman he would play with.  The guy was one helluva golfer and one of the best in our small town.  I got them in the mid-80's and used them all the way up to around 2001.  

They've just been in the rafters of my garage for the last 20 years.  I'd like for someone that will enjoy them to have them, but I don't know what they are worth.  

• 2 weeks later...

@GAA,

In my search for information on these Macgregor MCX's, I stumbled across this thread and believe I've got myself in the right place.

Came across these and had to have them. Bought purely because I thought they were absolutley beautiful clubs, struck me as unique, and were being let go for a song. I have been curious about a move into a blade and the only other requirement was for it to be a one-piece forge (not my fault for being a snob, first iron set I was given by my father was 2-SW Ram Laser FX and haven't gamed anything else, ever). CheckCheck. Since typing MCX into google doesnt really yield anything useful information wise, I'm getting crash course in the history of the rise and fall of MacGregor. I havent found much as even a mention of the set, and it's now grown to an excitement the deeper I go down the path. Any info you might have on these would be well appreciated.

Screenshot_20200904-021205_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200904-021154_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200904-021142_eBay.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/13/2019 at 3:46 PM, GAA said:

MT one sole similar to vip and muirfield

• 2 weeks later...

Would you happen to know when these Mac LITE irons were made? 

LITE irons.jpg

In the bag: TaylorMade R5 Duel driver (44", Senior-flex), Namura 19* 3 Hybrid, Stiff, Cougar X-CAT 26* 5 hybrid, Wilson K-28 irons 6-PW, Wilson Harmonized Gap (52) and Sand (55) Wedges, Blade Runner II putter.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!  I've been playing MacGregor Tourney irons for about 3 years now and don't know if ill ever change 8 irons. I love the feel of old blades. My question is, my set doesn't have the plastic piece that goes between club head and the shaft. Im pretty positive they came that way originally and I love the clean look of it. Ill stop being lazy and go take a picture of it to show.. my problem; i can't seem to find any info about them online. Im pretty sure they are some of the first tourney irons, and I got them at goodwill for $8.00 for the whole set! Any info would be great. (I can't seem to find any online that don't have the plastic piece or any kind of ridge near that part of the club)

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2019 at 1:46 PM, GAA said:

I just bought a set of MacGregor MT split sole irons. It has RST1 stamped on it. You seem to be very knowledgeable about MacGregor irons. Could you tell me what the RST1 means? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

PXL_20201221_212606986.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 10:49 PM, Dwayne Big D said:

I just bought a set of MacGregor MT split sole irons. It has RST1 stamped on it. You seem to be very knowledgeable about MacGregor irons. Could you tell me what the RST1 means? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. PXL_20201221_212606986.jpg

I tried to Post my thoughts about ten days ago and I noticed they did not send. Sorry about that.

The "S" in the RST1 model No.means they originally came with Stainless Steel stiff shafts. The "1" in the model No. means they originally came with leather grips. In 1970 a nine club set had a hefty List Price of $225.00. A nine club set with Carbon Steel or Aluminum shafts were Listed at $164.50.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 2:46 PM, GAA said:

Hi how are you? Will you happen to know what year these are? Thanks Tom

Screenshot_20210114-141359_Mercari.jpg

Screenshot_20210114-141407_Mercari.jpg

Screenshot_20210114-141351_Mercari.jpg