IGNORED

1952 to 1972 MacGregor Forged Iron Sets

Hello,

I’m new to TST, ran into it by accident looking for info on old McGregor irons,  specifically “m-85 Colokrome tour forged” my question, if I may, how do you tell the difference from the 50s model and the 80s remake?  I just bought a set, I couldn’t resist, even after I swore I’d never collect irons again as they took up too much room. 

Thanks and happy I found ya.

Hello! I'm hoping I might be able to get some guidance on some old MT Tourney irons I recently picked up.

They are split-sole and appear almost identical to the TR1/TR1A/TR2A based on pictures I can find on IronFinder dot com.

One major difference on the set I have, however, has MacGregor stamped next to the iron number on the sole, with "Custom" in script stamped where the "BY MacGregor" stamp would be on the lower-toe section of the back of the head.

I'm also hoping to find information about what shaft size these hosels should accept. I'd like to switch into a more modern shaft but the .355 shafts I have on hand don't seem to fit well into the hosels currently.

Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help!

IMG_5314.jpg

Edited by heyitsmike
Added image for context.

I have a full set of 1955 blades that my grandfather won back then and he had them  regripped and possibly reshafted? But they are in immaculate condition I only have a picture of one of the clubs currently he wanted to me to look into selling them for him anyone have any idea what the worth of a full set of macgregor tommy armour tourney colokrom 945?

he also has golf digests from 1955 to 1961 or so that he was looking to get valued as well any info would be greatly appreciated. 

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Patrick92 said:

I have a full set of 1955 blades that my grandfather won back then and he had them  regripped and possibly reshafted? But they are in immaculate condition I only have a picture of one of the clubs currently he wanted to me to look into selling them for him anyone have any idea what the worth of a full set of macgregor tommy armour tourney colokrom 945?

he also has golf digests from 1955 to 1961 or so that he was looking to get valued as well any info would be greatly appreciated. 

Reveal hidden contents

That are probably not worth much other than to a collector. Golf clubs don’t hold value with age unless they belonged to someone famous.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hello again!  Just picked up these vintage Jack Nicklaus premier irons and haven’t had any luck finding any information on them.  Any help with the year of production or any information would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks,  Joey

AF69E0EF-8B5D-43F4-A49C-48BB9B4A9EB5.jpeg

95E6DE3B-1EC8-405E-91E3-B8634162AF13.jpeg

98A51916-5873-4014-909D-DE58F0DBF251.jpeg

01386FCA-60DA-4DCC-814C-139EB497057A.jpeg

8EE81E36-C73D-4344-B116-4F4E75EF7229.jpeg

C0EFAC08-0637-4B94-A378-E92E4F554733.jpeg

7 hours ago, Jb33 said:

Hello again!  Just picked up these vintage Jack Nicklaus premier irons and haven’t had any luck finding any information on them.  Any help with the year of production or any information would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks,  Joey

AF69E0EF-8B5D-43F4-A49C-48BB9B4A9EB5.jpeg

95E6DE3B-1EC8-405E-91E3-B8634162AF13.jpeg

98A51916-5873-4014-909D-DE58F0DBF251.jpeg

01386FCA-60DA-4DCC-814C-139EB497057A.jpeg

8EE81E36-C73D-4344-B116-4F4E75EF7229.jpeg

C0EFAC08-0637-4B94-A378-E92E4F554733.jpeg

I do not think you will find any info on these. They are actually made by Brunswick (note the "B" logo on same line as 275. They are from the mid 1980's. Brunswick bought the  80% stack in MacGregor that Jack Nicklaus owned and allowed his name and MacGregor to be licensed for two years while he built his new Golden Bear Brand. 

Your set may not even be forged.

Ownership changes[edit]

Having previously been owned by the Wickes Corporation, and before that the Brunswick Corporation,[5] Amer Sports acquired a majority 80% stake in MacGregor from Jack Nicklaus in the mid-1980s for a reported $8 million.[6]

15 hours ago, GAA said:

I do not think you will find any info on these. They are actually made by Brunswick (note the "B" logo on same line as 275. They are from the mid 1980's. Brunswick bought the  80% stack in MacGregor that Jack Nicklaus owned and allowed his name and MacGregor to be licensed for two years while he built his new Golden Bear Brand. 

Ownership changes[edit]

Having previously been owned by the Wickes Corporation, and before that the Brunswick Corporation,[5] Amer Sports acquired a majority 80% stake in MacGregor from Jack Nicklaus in the mid-1980s for a reported $8 million.[6]

70568737-AFEB-4152-AC20-2A9937A76BBD.png

Noticed the Brunswick B on the heads, but don’t really think that they’re from the mid 80s just based of head shape and leather grips.  Also found out that Brunswick bought Macgregor in 1967 and sold them to the Wickes company in the late 70s prior to Jack Nicklaus taking over the majority control company in the 80s.  And the timelines  of ownership of Macgregor don’t really support that statement IMO.   Think they we’re probably forged based on the older style design of the club head more of a 60s era Wilson dynapower weight distribution and with the leather grips  I was thinking more 60s or 70s IMHO.  Thanks for the info though.  Always appreciate any info I can get.  

thanks Joey

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 9:42 AM, tinker said:

Just buffed up, lengthened a half inch and regripped a set of MT Tourney. Going to take them out today

6CCA43DD-2A27-4DFD-AF98-66E1D50BB596.jpeg

I have a set of M85's that look very similar to this. Do you know what year that club is? Also, is the patent number on the sole of that club?

On 3/20/2019 at 5:43 PM, GAA said:

The MT 1969's through the mid-70's have dozens of models with dozens of different lettering and numbering.

They are considered as forged muscle back blades. Many MT's in that ear were Step-Soles" or "Slit-Soles".

The black outlined block letters in the stock photo are 1970-71 models. The M/T's with white block letters were 1972's.

I have both MT by MacGregor & M/T by MacGregor of these sets wit a2 Medium flex. 2i > 10i & 11 utility wedge.

I also have split-sole MT sets, MT TR1A's, MT R2MT's and MT TR9's. (Different letters and numbers only really indicated what kind of shaft flex and rubber or leather grip)

I will look to see if I have a loose MT 7 iron. But I don't think so.

A little after these MT's was a very cool muscle back Ben Crenshaw - The Texan. Other than two rounds that I just had to play, they are still virtually new.

1586661213_Golfclub1.thumb.jpg.449e757471e5aedee978a332e3fbfef7.jpgA1960893150_Golfclub2.thumb.jpg.776a0d39707e093b72ecb6e205f0bc9b.jpg

On 6/3/2021 at 7:43 AM, GAA said:

Ownership changes[edit]

Today, I sent you photos of a 9 iron from a set of Tourneys I got from my dad back around 1974 that he had had for several years. I thought they were from the late 50's or early 60's. Is there a way to tell the exact year? Also, are they worth anything? They are in pretty bad shape so I don't want to spend a lot of money restoring them if they aren't worth much. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi I’ve a set of Macgregor vintage blades I enjoy playing with if I want a change from my speed zones . They have iron master in solid type forge printed on the club backs. I have the whole set aside from a PW and can’t seem to replace that as they don’t seem to come up on flea bay at all. They hit like butter if you strike well. Love em. I’d love to know more about their history 

On 8/13/2021 at 2:33 AM, Willyrizzo said:

Hi I’ve a set of Macgregor vintage blades I enjoy playing with if I want a change from my speed zones . They have iron master in solid type forge printed on the club backs. I have the whole set aside from a PW and can’t seem to replace that as they don’t seem to come up on flea bay at all. They hit like butter if you strike well. Love em. I’d love to know more about their history 

Do they say IRON MASTER 234 on them. If they do they are from 1964. I am golfing today, but I will try and post pictures of my set later today to tomorrow.

On 7/10/2021 at 2:00 PM, crl said:

Also, are they worth anything? They are in pretty bad shape so I don't want to spend a lot of money restoring them if they aren't worth much. Thanks.

The truth is very few of these clubs are worth a lot of money unless it is for a collector who wants to fill out a set or wants a specific set for sentimental reasons.  The only clubs like this which are worth money in general are those which were used by pro's and preferably ones which won a major or belonged to someone famous.  Otherwise very few people will offer money for these sets

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Al Tinti said:

I inherited a 2 through 9 set of these irons. They are marked M89T. They are all in pretty comparable shape to this 4 iron. Any comments on age, rarity, etc?

30A4E3E2-5131-49E3-9201-033E5C619FDD.jpeg

FE3E6ACE-E8A3-4FBC-9D3D-CB54DEEAA8E9.jpeg

I believe these to be rare. This is a version of the 1950-1957 M85 irons. Often called Wingbacks, MacGregor ads proclaimed " the irons with a heart".

The REG. M89T was are rarer than the M85's for three reasons.

1) They were over length and the 6 iron should be 39" long.

2) They were only offered in MacGregor's Cincinnati OH outlet, and not send out to Pro Shops and fitters.

3) They had red leather grips only.

I believe hey are Tony Pena designed and then REG. M85's (M75, M65 series were extremely popular. In 1955-57 they came with another version of the REG. M85's called the Colokrom's which had bronze faces. Like the CF4000 series black ceramic face, only forged with the brass/bronze club faces. Then in the mid-1980's MacGregor had a remake of the M85's introduced. The Colokrom Tour Forged M85's.

I think you have 19509-1955 REG. M89T's which I have never seen in person. Congratulations, I wish you could have gotten your hands on them in another way. My condolences. 

• Informative 1