IGNORED

1952 to 1972 MacGregor Forged Iron Sets

On 9/12/2021 at 9:06 AM, GAA said:

I believe these to be rare. This is a version of the 1950-1957 M85 irons. Often called Wingbacks, MacGregor ads proclaimed " the irons with a heart".

The REG. M89T was are rarer than the M85's for three reasons.

1) They were over length and the 6 iron should be 39" long.

2) They were only offered in MacGregor's Cincinnati OH outlet, and not send out to Pro Shops and fitters.

3) They had red leather grips only.

I believe hey are Tony Pena designed and then REG. M85's (M75, M65 series were extremely popular. In 1955-57 they came with another version of the REG. M85's called the Colokrom's which had bronze faces. Like the CF4000 series black ceramic face, only forged with the brass/bronze club faces. Then in the mid-1980's MacGregor had a remake of the M85's introduced. The Colokrom Tour Forged M85's.

I think you have 19509-1955 REG. M89T's which I have never seen in person. Congratulations, I wish you could have gotten your hands on them in another way. My condolences. 

Thanks very much for the info. I’ll measure the 6 iron later, but being extra length may explain why the lie angle seems steep for 5’8” me. Unfortunately, they don’t have the original grips, but I was going to re-grip with some Tour Wraps. Do you think they have been re-chromed?

39 minutes ago, Al Tinti said:

Thanks very much for the info. I’ll measure the 6 iron later, but being extra length may explain why the lie angle seems steep for 5’8” me. Unfortunately, they don’t have the original grips, but I was going to re-grip with some Tour Wraps. Do you think they have been re-chromed?

Re-chromed? I don't know, but from the first picture the 4 iron certainly looks like it may have been. 70 years ago MacGregor irons typically didn't look that shinny.

Check the faces and grooves closely, that may be the best way to tell.

5 hours ago, GAA said:

Re-chromed? I don't know, but from the first picture the 4 iron certainly looks like it may have been. 70 years ago MacGregor irons typically didn't look that shinny.

Check the faces and grooves closely, that may be the best way to tell.

Spoiler

Here’s the four iron face. What do you think?

B0ACEDC8-7B47-40B3-AFC6-29FFFC0269F9.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I've lurked here for years but this thread compelled me to sign up for the forum.  I have a set of lefty MT iron heads (2-SW) that I picked up from eBay for a (relative) song.  They appear to be lightly used and recently rechromed and painted - the pic below shows the face of the PW and back of the 3i.  Besides the MT Tourney markings, each is stamped "TRLHA".   I play DG S300 shafts in my other set and haven't started calculating swing weights and such for these heads.  Until then, any suggestions shaft-wise or finished club specs?  The hosels appear to be threaded and all I know at this point is that a .355 tapered shaft ain't gonna cut it - way too loose.  What would you put in these stunning irons and would you bother to pin them or just rely on the epoxy?

20211010_210106_HDR.thumb.jpg.4c409bb1da30b3aa01aa8f6773ee1ea3.jpg

51 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Welcome to The forum Iclypso.  Why not find another old set of MacGregor MT irons and use those shafts?  Go fully authentic.  And what is that thing you photographed the club heads laying on?

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the idea to find a donor set of MTs from which to harvest the shafts.   I'll keep my eyes peeled.  The club heads in my picture are just sitting on a cream colored shag rug.  The 7i is propped up on the hosel of the PW.

Edited by iclypso
spelling

9 hours ago, iclypso said:

I've lurked here for years but this thread compelled me to sign up for the forum.  I have a set of lefty MT iron heads (2-SW) that I picked up from eBay for a (relative) song.  They appear to be lightly used and recently rechromed and painted - the pic below shows the face of the PW and back of the 3i.  Besides the MT Tourney markings, each is stamped "TRLHA".   I play DG S300 shafts in my other set and haven't started calculating swing weights and such for these heads.  Until then, any suggestions shaft-wise or finished club specs?  The hosels appear to be threaded and all I know at this point is that a .355 tapered shaft ain't gonna cut it - way too loose.  What would you put in these stunning irons and would you bother to pin them or just rely on the epoxy?

20211010_210106_HDR.thumb.jpg.4c409bb1da30b3aa01aa8f6773ee1ea3.jpg

These look to be the 1969 introduced MT's with conventional soles.

The "A" at the end of the model number indicates they originally had aluminum shafts.

I would not recommend looking for the aluminum shafts to game these.

No need to pin, just epoxy. Original paint fill was all black.

Great irons, most of these had the split level soles.

Back then they retailed for $202.50 for a set of 2 > PW which at the time where one of the most expensive sets they Mac made.

• Informative 1

I    Glad to see all the new posts and thanks to GAA for lots ofe knowledge. Now at 74years I’ve keep my hand in the golf world since working at a golf shop in Ricmond 1970. Cset of McGregors, Staff, Haig Ultras like they were going out .

Question, does anyone remember McGregor irons called Australian Blades

Edited by Congojohnny

On 10/11/2021 at 6:27 AM, GAA said:

These look to be the 1969 introduced MT's with conventional soles.

The "A" at the end of the model number indicates they originally had aluminum shafts.

I would not recommend looking for the aluminum shafts to game these.

No need to pin, just epoxy. Original paint fill was all black.

Great irons, most of these had the split level soles.

Back then they retailed for $202.50 for a set of 2 > PW which at the time where one of the most expensive sets they Mac made.

Thanks for the info, GAA.  Given their aluminum shafted origins, I'll be interested to see how the swingweights pan out with steel.  More than that, though, I can't weight to hit them.  Thanks again.

Edited by iclypso
pun intended
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I inherited 1950's(?) MacGregor 1 and 3 woods, (1552C)  irons #3, 5,6,7,9 (1622C) Ben Hogan, Offset, Par Maker. Need grips, rusty shafts. They were my father's. Any value idea? I think keeping them in the attic is sort of stupid. Woods are in good condition. Thanks

2 hours ago, PAW said:

I inherited 1950's(?) MacGregor 1 and 3 woods, (1552C)  irons #3, 5,6,7,9 (1622C) Ben Hogan, Offset, Par Maker. Need grips, rusty shafts. They were my father's. Any value idea? I think keeping them in the attic is sort of stupid. Woods are in good condition. Thanks

They are probably not worth much. Old clubs don’t retain value unless they have historic attachments like they belonged to Hogan himself.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, PAW said:

Thanks. I feel sorta guilty getting rid of them but maybe someone will want them.

Good point.  Since they're not a collector's item it would be great for you to sell/give them to someone who is just taking up the game and cannot afford clubs right now.  I bet your Dad would approve. 

1 hour ago, PAW said:

Thanks. I feel sorta guilty getting rid of them but maybe someone will want them.

My wife had her late father’s irons and woods and an old style putter. I sent the putter head to the Iron Factory and had it re-finished. Gave it to her for a present. It’s a cool momento.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades