1952 to 1972 MacGregor Forged Iron Sets

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I happen to know more than I should about MacGregor forged irons of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's. I probably own 18 sets of these vintage beauties. If you have questions about this era of g

Just buffed up, lengthened a half inch and regripped a set of MT Tourney. Going to take them out today

My gamers

Posted Images

Hey!  I've been playing MacGregor Tourney irons for about 3 years now and don't know if ill ever change 8 irons. I love the feel of old blades. My question is, my set doesn't have the plastic piece that goes between club head and the shaft. Im pretty positive they came that way originally and I love the clean look of it. Ill stop being lazy and go take a picture of it to show.. my problem; i can't seem to find any info about them online. Im pretty sure they are some of the first tourney irons, and I got them at goodwill for $8.00 for the whole set! Any info would be great. (I can't seem to find any online that don't have the plastic piece or any kind of ridge near that part of the club)

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2019 at 1:46 PM, GAA said:

I happen to know more than I should about MacGregor forged irons of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's.

I probably own 18 sets of these vintage beauties.

If you have questions about this era of golf,  I may be able to help get some answers.

I have studied and still use as a reference the Jim Kaplan MacGregor and Wilson golf history catalogs.

I just bought a set of MacGregor MT split sole irons. It has RST1 stamped on it. You seem to be very knowledgeable about MacGregor irons. Could you tell me what the RST1 means? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

PXL_20201221_212606986.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 10:49 PM, Dwayne Big D said:

I just bought a set of MacGregor MT split sole irons. It has RST1 stamped on it. You seem to be very knowledgeable about MacGregor irons. Could you tell me what the RST1 means? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. PXL_20201221_212606986.jpg

I tried to Post my thoughts about ten days ago and I noticed they did not send. Sorry about that.

The "S" in the RST1 model No.means they originally came with Stainless Steel stiff shafts. The "1" in the model No. means they originally came with leather grips. In 1970 a nine club set had a hefty List Price of $225.00. A nine club set with Carbon Steel or Aluminum shafts were Listed at $164.50.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 2:46 PM, GAA said:

I happen to know more than I should about MacGregor forged irons of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's.

I probably own 18 sets of these vintage beauties.

If you have questions about this era of golf,  I may be able to help get some answers.

I have studied and still use as a reference the Jim Kaplan MacGregor and Wilson golf history catalogs.

Hi how are you? Will you happen to know what year these are? Thanks Tom

Screenshot_20210114-141359_Mercari.jpg

Screenshot_20210114-141407_Mercari.jpg

Screenshot_20210114-141351_Mercari.jpg

2 hours ago, Tommy 5822 said:

Hi how are you? Will you happen to know what year these are? Thanks Tom

Screenshot_20210114-141359_Mercari.jpg

Screenshot_20210114-141407_Mercari.jpg

Screenshot_20210114-141351_Mercari.jpg

Nicklaus assisted in designing the VIP series irons. They first came out in 1969 and 1970. Those VIP's had a very slight step sole. The muscle back bulge where the VIP is etched in kind of ended just shy of the sole. Your VIP's have almost the same muscle back, but it ends at the sole and is part of the sole. In other words your club soles are slightly wider and are not stepped. My Kaplan Book only goes to 1970 for irons, but I am sure they are mid 1970's models, just prior to the same irons that came out in 1975 that had "by Nicklaus" etched in where the MacGregor is now.

If they have Tourney Micro Step shafts, which it looks like they do, I would peg the at coming out between 1971 - 1974.

38 minutes ago, GAA said:

Nicklaus assisted in designing the VIP series irons. They first came out in 1969 and 1970. Those VIP's had a very slight step sole. The muscle back bulge where the VIP is etched in kind of ended just shy of the sole. Your VIP's have almost the same muscle back, but it ends at the sole and is part of the sole. In other words your club soles are slightly wider and are not stepped. My Kaplan Book only goes to 1970 for irons, but I am sure they are mid 1970's models, just prior to the same irons that came out in 1975 that had "by Nicklaus" etched in where the MacGregor is now.

If they have Tourney Micro Step shafts, which it looks like they do, I would peg the at coming out between 1971 - 1974.

Thanks so much. I didn't get my Mac book in the mail yet but I just had to have these blades 

• 1 month later...

I got a set of MacGregor Tour Forged blades off Facebook marketplace. I have had zero luck when trying to find out approximately what year they were made. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_9763.PNG

Edited by Jshaw
Adding picture

I recently found an old MacGregor MC registered 060 irons 2-9 and matching wood 1,3,4,5.  Appear to be in excellent shape for their age in my opinion.  Found them at a goodwill for $20.  Took them to the range and felt like butter, when hit correctly of course.  Can anyone tell me what year they were made and what flex the A flex tru-action shafts would be? Just got into playing vintage clubs and couldn’t leave these jewels sitting on the rack.  They Any information would be greatly appreciated.

AE8CEA84-F586-4F1F-955E-9841DE0805A7.jpeg

456DC003-0F2C-4FEF-8CF8-8C36662E8476.jpeg

Edited by Jb33
Added pictures

These MC irons first came out in 1969. Original List price 2 iron . 9 iron were $182.00.

Thanks for the info on the clubs.  I plan on putting some new grips, since the old ones have let loose from the tape, and enjoy them out on the course.  Thanks again GAA!

On 2/20/2021 at 10:55 AM, DCBBrentar said:

Can you help me identify this iron? Found 5 and 7 at a thrift store the other day. Shafts are Macgregor Propel 2 which would mean firm, between stiff and regular, right? Thanks for your help.

2FDE345E-7412-4914-A336-51A22333DB9A.jpeg

I have a set of these I bought before I knew much about clubs. They are a low end model from the early 80s. They hit pretty good though and seemed a bit more forgiving then some the of pro model blades. Had a great day on  short 5300 yard course with them one day.