Alohaed

Driver Technology

16 posts / 503 viewsLast Reply

Hi, pardon the ignorance. I have a Ping G10 driver I bought almost 9 years ago. Unfortunately not fitted, on sale from TGW, Anyhoo..... I am now 63, haven't golfed much(unemployed due to outsourcing, etc). I went to the driving range today and hit my driver nice and high. Not sure of distance because there were no yardage markers, which I doubt are accurate at ranges. I am thinking of getting fit for a new driver. Primarily for distance and obviously accuracy. Here is my ignorance question. Could I find a driver that would gain 30+ yards distance? Could I accomplish the same results with re-shafting my driver?  I love new equipment, and, the looks of the new stuff(PXG, Ping, Callaway), yet rather than pay $450 - $575 for a new driver, pay $100+ for a new shaft, I would be ahead of the game. Same with my 2009 Mizuno MX200 irons. I LOVE the feel of them, and the look(thanks to a member here I remove the badging). MAYBE reshaft them too. Why spend $1300 for new irons.

Thanks in advance of any advice.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

8 minutes ago, Alohaed said:

Could I find a driver that would gain 30+ yards distance? Could I accomplish the same results with re-shafting my driver? 

Best way to know for sure is to go get custom fit.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Of course I will get fit, as my irons!!!  I know it will cost me too, no problem. Just looking for opinions to see if it is worth the $$$

1 hour ago, Alohaed said:

Could I find a driver that would gain 30+ yards distance?

Could you? Possibly. Will you? I have no idea.

It's entirely possibly your current driver doesn't fit you well and you'd see benefits just from playing a properly fit driver without factoring in technological advances.

Or the flip side, your driver turns out to fit you well and you hit it as well as you're going to, in which case you wouldn't see that much difference from upgrading.

I do believe that a proper shaft can really change your driving significantly. However the new technology is quite remarkable with driver heads. The Taylormade twist face, Callaway Jail Break and Flash...hard to pass up.

It all depends on what numbers you are getting with your current driver. If you don’t know that it’s hard to recommend a direction to go. 

Also, some people react differently to changes in gold shafts. Sometimes counter to what suggestions you might see. It’s best to try out a variety of golf shafts. 

I'd go to a golf outlet store, get on their launch monitor. Then compare your current driver, with an updated driver, and see what the distances are. 

I  do this on occassions with my long ago fitted drivers vs new technology. The gain in distance is not that great, and does not justfy the price of a new driver. 

The reason for little distance change is my swing speed is not as fast as when I was healthier, and younger. This is what I was told by the salesman. 

Accuracy wise  there was no difference to speak of. 

I don't think the technology gains are so substantial to move to new irons.....before I would reshaft your Mizuno's I'd get fit and then I would but a used set a year old which goes for less than half price with the shaft that fits....On the Driver I do believe the technology has leaped forward and maybe not a brand new but again a year old model that fits. You can get last years best now for in the $250 range when they were $400+ last year. 

14 hours ago, Patch said:

I'd go to a golf outlet store, get on their launch monitor. Then compare your current driver, with an updated driver, and see what the distances are. 

I  do this on occassions with my long ago fitted drivers vs new technology. The gain in distance is not that great, and does not justfy the price of a new driver. 

The reason for little distance change is my swing speed is not as fast as when I was healthier, and younger. This is what I was told by the salesman. 

Accuracy wise  there was no difference to speak of. 

Hmmm, if I bring my driver to, say, PGATSS, to hit along side of a few new ones I have in mind, there will not be a problem not buying one there at the moment? It does sound like plan, especially on a chilly and/or rainy day.

Thanks all for your input.

17 hours ago, Patch said:

I did this. Came away with a new F9.

OP, don't be bashful in asking to hit as many drivers. Do not get pressured into buying anything unless you are certain yourself.

Only other thing I would suggest is that since you are just getting back to swinging after years, maybe give it a month or two to let your swing settle before a fitting.

Of course if your heart is set on an immediate purchase then have at it. My rule is mama don't ask when she wants new  shoes and daddy don't ask when he wants a new bag (ahem...driver)..:))

Edited by GolfLug

I had a couple of old drivers gathering dust, so as a retired guy, I started experimenting with them. I shortened one and found it much easier to control accuracy. Then switched one to a ladies' flex. I found that added some distance, about 10 to 15 yards. I had found some shaft pulls on Ebay dirt cheap, so it didn't cost much, mostly just the time pulling the old shaft and prepping the ladies for installation. I didn't really know much about club building, so it was fun learning. I finally re-shafted the Callaway Diablo I like, and now have a better driver for a small cash outlay.

Agree with the above. IN the end the technology won't make you hit the ball 30 yards further. Finding the right head and shaft for your swing will give you a more consistent flight and better average distance. 

Will it beat your old driver by $500? Maybe. I recently went in to get for clubs. I expected to need new irons, hybrids and a new 3 wood. The 3-wood I recently bought from the bargain bin was awesome but I found a driver that was longer (10-12 yards), higher and straighter. But it was 1 of 8 I hit with 4-5 shaft combinations. Not a better club, just a better one for me. I bought the new driver for that improvement but would have happily left the other (+2-3 yards and minor height and accuracy improvements).

Go. Try. see what the change is worth to you

IMHO, I don't think a new driver is going to add 30+ yards over your G10. I agree with the above, play for a while, get your swing back in shape then take your G10 to a store and try it against the newer models. I would strive for better accuracy versus distance unless you are accurate with your G10. Being on the short grass is always better then playing from the rough. I forget, can your G10 have shafts be changed out easily? If so try different shafts first. By all means go to a good club fitter before you make up your mind.

6 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

Being on the short grass is always better then playing from the rough. 

Only if distance is equal.

Averaging 280 yds and hitting 45% fairways will result in lower scores than averaging 250 yds and 60% of the fairways.

3 minutes ago, klineka said:

Only if distance is equal.

Averaging 280 yds and hitting 45% fairways will result in lower scores than averaging 250 yds and 60% of the fairways.

You're correct, but for me I suck out of the rough. I don't hit anywhere near 250, (age and three back surgeries), so I use my 3W to make up the distance which is hard to hit out of the rough.

29 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

Being on the short grass is always better then playing from the rough.

You already know this, but this is false. I could be in the fairway 50 yards off the tee you know 😉 

14 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

You're correct, but for me I suck out of the rough. I don't hit anywhere near 250, (age and three back surgeries), so I use my 3W to make up the distance which is hard to hit out of the rough.

You have to be careful about making generalizations based on your own game. Everyone's is different.

Hell, even in your own game you'd benefit from hitting the ball farther as the reason you strive to be in the fairway is for your 3w. If you were closer to the green for your approach shot you wouldn't need to hit your 3w and it would be easier playing out of the rough.