IGNORED

Is This a Hole in One?

RustUK
Note: This thread is 1815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's bull.

But hey, if the football stops six inches short of crossing the plane, let's just call it a touchdown anyway, eh? 😛

We're not professionals. And none of us are playing events anyone cares about. Sure, if you're in a West Penn pro event, or somebody is playing a club championship, yes you have to abide by golf's often silly rules for uniformity. I've played plenty of matches for big money where my opponent was in something that should have been marked GUR, and I told him to just free drop. Or a bunker that hadn't been raked due to rain, and told him to rake and place. Or just drop out of the bunker.

Or played a game of pick-up basketball where I didn't call someone for traveling.

Or played tennis against somebody where I was given a let serve because the ball had gotten damp from a small puddle in the corner.

Or given somebody the point in Catch Phrase even though their opponent didn't actually get the plural version, and only the singular.

If that flag was put in properly by the assholes in front of him, or if it was a good flag with a well-cut hole, he has an ace.

So again, congratulations to the OP on your hole-in-one. 

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

My buddies don’t give me lip-outs either.  The bastards!

Don't be facile.

Edited by Aguirre

"Witty golf quote."

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Aguirre said:

I've played plenty of matches for big money where my opponent was in something that should have been marked GUR, and I told him to just free drop. Or a bunker that hadn't been raked due to rain, and told him to rake and place. Or just drop out of the bunker.

None of those things make you a saint or "better" than someone who follows the Rules.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

Don't be facile.

And yet, the issue is very simple.  The ball is either holed, by the rules, or it’s not.

Unfortunately, this one doesn’t appear to have been.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 minute ago, iacas said:

None of those things make you a saint or "better" than someone who follows the Rules.

At no point in my life have I ever aspired to be a "saint." Although I feel I'm closer for not unnecessarily capitalizing "rules."

Let me ask you a question. Say you're playing somebody for a decent amount of money (whatever that amount is for you). Whether it's fourball or singles. And they address the ball in some thick rough and it clearly moves a bit. Are you penalizing them? 

Just now, David in FL said:

And yet, the issue is very simple.  The ball is either holed, by the rules, or it’s not.

Unfortunately, this one doesn’t appear to have been.  

Your response to my comment about being facile is to double down on being facile.

"Witty golf quote."

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

Let me ask you a question. Say you're playing somebody for a decent amount of money (whatever that amount is for you). Whether it's fourball or singles. And they address the ball in some thick rough and it clearly moves a bit. Are you penalizing them?

They'd penalize themselves.

3 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

Your response to my comment about being facile is to double down on being facile.

you keep using that word tells GIF

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

I’d gently suggest understanding the definition of a word before using it in an argument...

In David's bag....

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

I’d gently suggest understanding the definition of a word before using it in an argument...

Explain it to me, hot shot.

"Witty golf quote."

Just now, Aguirre said:

Explain it to me, hot shot.

Give a man a fish...Teach a man to fish.

Look it up yourself.  You’ll learn more by the process and it will serve you better in the long run.

In David's bag....

14 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Give a man a fish...Teach a man to fish.

Look it up yourself.  You’ll learn more by the process and it will serve you better in the long run.

Whatever dude. This is your white flag.

Edited by Aguirre

"Witty golf quote."

7 hours ago, Aguirre said:

If that flag was put in properly by the assholes in front of him, or if it was a good flag with a well-cut hole, he has an ace.

If the flag had been improperly replaced by the group in front of him, or perhaps even left out and the flag actually assisted in the ball going in would you have NOT counted it? "Assholes in front of me left the flag out... I'm not counting it... bah humbug." 

If a putt is rolling toward the edge of the hole and the hole is slightly damaged on that end and the damage helps the ball fall in, do you not count that?

If you clearly miss a putt and it hits a spike mark and goes in anyway, do you not count that? 

We've all had bad luck when playing golf; a ball that looks destined for the green hits a sprinkler head and bounces over the green into the trap, a putt heading for the heart of the hole hits somebody's sunflower seed husk and is diverted and misses, a beautifully struck tee shot that just catches that one twig and all of a sudden turns into a disaster. It happens. The OP can relish in the fact that he hit a great shot. But he asked the question (I think very wisely) and it looks like its not a hole in one. If you are going to CHANGE OR IGNORE the rules for this instance, are you also going to CHANGE OR IGNORE the rules when the outcome favors you as well? 

I recently (while playing for an amount of money that mattered) skulled my gap wedge and it flew over the green heading for out of bounds, but it hit one of the white OB stakes and ricocheted back toward me and on to the edge of the green. I was happy to take that bit of luck. It would be wrong of me then to only accept the good luck and not deal with the bad luck.

Should we change or ignore the rules and put my ball out of bounds, after all it was a terrible shot? Hitting a terrible shot and getting lucky is no different then hitting a great shot and getting unlucky. We should not change or ignore the rules in either case.  

… I mean, really when it all comes down to it, isn't that kind of the point of golf? 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 3/22/2019 at 1:28 PM, iacas said:

You don't need to. If you do, and the ball still isn't holed… well that'd be just dumb on your part.

If the ball isn't holed, you take the flag stick out and put the ball on the lip and tap it in.

No reason it wouldn't be.

OK, so if the flagstick is leaning, how do take it out? Do you straighten it and take it out vertically or do you yank it out sideways? Maybe taking the cup and liner with it? And if while taking the flagstick out the ball falls in the hole, what then? It seems like the geniuses at the USGA and R&A in their wisdom have created another kerfuffle! 

Is it any wonder that so many consider golfers to be a gang of anal nutbags? Or that maybe 90% of the people who actually play the game for the most part ignore the rules?

24 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

OK, so if the flagstick is leaning, how do take it out? Do you straighten it and take it out vertically or do you yank it out sideways? 

Come on.

And if while taking the flagstick out the ball falls in the hole, what then? 

This is answered in the rule.

It seems like the geniuses at the USGA and R&A in their wisdom have created another kerfuffle!

No. It’s golfers/people not bothering to understand the rule and/or  just whining about it. You’re guilty of both it appears.😁

Edited by Vinsk
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

35 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

OK, so if the flagstick is leaning, how do take it out? Do you straighten it and take it out vertically or do you yank it out sideways? Maybe taking the cup and liner with it? And if while taking the flagstick out the ball falls in the hole, what then? It seems like the geniuses at the USGA and R&A in their wisdom have created another kerfuffle! 

Huh? You take out a leaning flagstick the same way you always did. What's that got to do with the USGA and the R&A?

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

@Buckeyebowman, bad post.

C’mon man. Read the damn topics before you post.

• Upvote 1

Haha well this is pretty epic regardless.

I would tend to lean towards hole in one with maybe not enough information. I mean really come on, the ball clearly moves in the video.

Sure that could mean the lip of the cup is rounded, but if that is the case what the hell is the actual definition of the lip of the cup? Is it the bottom of the lowest blade of grass or the top of the first bit of exposed dirt.... or is it an average of them. Is there a rule on the exact definition of the lip somewhere, I could not find one.

Seems to me like the best definition for lip of the cup is the point at which a ball can travel no further without falling in the cup, which this ball has clearly passed. Therefore you owe us all a drink!

Edited by jshots

:whistle:

3 minutes ago, jshots said:

Sure that could mean the lip of the cup is rounded, but if that is the case what the hell is the actual definition of the lip of the cup? Is it the bottom of the lowest blade of grass or the top of the first bit of exposed dirt.... or is it an average of them. Is there a rule on the exact definition of the lip somewhere, I could not find one.

As I understand it, the plane of the hole would be at the point of the exposed dirt, so a rounded lip effectively lowers it.

A ball could be wedged between the flagstick and a rounded lip so the ball would be sitting below the putting surface had the hole been cleanly cut, but a depression on the lip is treated as part of the putting surface.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

@RustUK, the way i see it is this.

a) Great shot to get that close

b) Very unlucky and gutting that it didn't drop fully

c) Look on the bright side, you played an outstanding shot AND saved yourself a hefty bar bill, win win :-D

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

20 minutes ago, RussUK said:

c) Look on the bright side, you played an outstanding shot AND saved yourself a hefty bar bill, win win :-D

Unfortunately I ended up with the worst of both worlds 😂  We thought it was a hole in one, so I paid for a round of drinks in the club house.  I then had this nagging doubt that it might not count, hence the post on this forum.  So huge bar bill and no hole in one. 😂😂

Note: This thread is 1815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!