Sign in to follow this  
Hncjc

Interesting Results From Using Our Club's Simulator

29 posts / 5315 viewsLast Reply

The single driving range that's open around here hasn't bought any new practice balls since they opened 6 years ago! Went out there last week and had balls in my bucket that were damn near smooth, and felt like they were made of solid wood! It's attached to a golf course, So I went to the desk and complained. I told the guy that I wouldn't ask for my money back, but I would not return until I saw new balls coming out of that machine!

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

The single driving range that's open around here hasn't bought any new practice balls since they opened 6 years ago! Went out there last week and had balls in my bucket that were damn near smooth, and felt like they were made of solid wood! It's attached to a golf course, So I went to the desk and complained. I told the guy that I wouldn't ask for my money back, but I would not return until I saw new balls coming out of that machine!

We should have a " Horseshit Driving Range" thread.  One near me, Richardsons has balls exactly like u described.  Hit one with a driver and the ball looks like an out of control drone flying in 8 different directions.  The balls are terrible....yet the place is always busy.

Every driving range I have been to has worn out balls. They also have balls that are in pretty good shape. I cull the bad ones for warm up swings, and for shorter pitches. The good ones I use for longer shots. 

I really don't pay much attention to range ball flights. Maybe the first 10-20 yards or so, just to get an idea of their initial direction.

I never pay attention to the distance a range ball flies. 

I also tend to find otber golfers lost game balls. Those I will pay a little more attention to their ball flights. 

Sometimes I will hit a few of my own retired game balls for a truer analysis of my swing. 

I am fortunate thay my home course invests in new range balls from time to time. 

On 3/25/2019 at 4:34 PM, iacas said:

That article is bunk.

The simple truths:

• PGA Tour players play golf balls of all sorts of compression ratings.
  • Generally speaking, a higher compression = higher ball speed due to less energy lost in deformation.

Some players prefer softer compression balls because the spin/speed/launch characteristics are a better fit for them, but again… higher compression almost always = higher ball speed.

..but generally speaking those with lower swing speeds will get more distance from balls with lower compression ratings (easier to compress), right?  Or no?  For me, with decent and comparable contact with the driver, a Callaway Supersoft will always go 15-20 yards further than a Pro V1....Mainly in roll, but also a little longer carry.

Edited by Jay28

12 hours ago, Jay28 said:

..but generally speaking those with lower swing speeds will get more distance from balls with lower compression ratings (easier to compress), right?

No.

Firmer balls are faster balls.

There are somewhat fringe situations (pretty slow swing speeds) where a softer ball with more spin can lead to a bit longer drives, but even then you're often better off trading up for launch angle. Ball speed is going to be lower either way.

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

That’s what she said? 

Sorry, a 10% beer and I haven’t eaten in 7 hours... 😜

I hit drives about as far as the OP. I was buying golf balls a few years ago and my teaching pro handed me a couple boxes of Callaway SR-1s. Replaced by the ChromeSofts. I like the feel around the greens. I like ProV1s, too. I tend to buy whatever is on sale due to budget - last month it was the Srixon tour ball 2 for 1. 

Question Erik: For a hacker like me, how long does a ball last before it should go in the shag bag?

On 6/21/2019 at 7:16 PM, iacas said:

1.  Obviously, the answer is to get fit or try some different options on a monitor, but in general, what I'm hearing is that a higher compression Bridgestone Tour X should be a longer ball than their lower compression RX even for a slower swing speed of 80 with my irons (not recently checked driver swing speed) despite their recommendations, correct?

2.  as an aside, I was hoping to find a away to estimate my driver swing speed based on my known/measured iron swing speed.  I found this chart online, but it doesn't seem to mesh with my numbers, maybe my swing speed readings were off?

This golf swing speed chart shows the approximate carry distance for each golf club for different driver swing speeds.

My 9i carries about 135-140 with my 8i flying 150 which puts my estimated swing speed between 100-106. That seems awful high - I do not swing that fast

Edited by woodzie264

30 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Obviously, the answer is to get fit or try some different options on a monitor, but in general, what I'm hearing is that a higher compression Bridgestone Tour X should be a longer ball than their lower compression RX even for a slower swing speed of 80 with my irons (not recently checked driver swing speed) despite their recommendations, correct?

Yeah, pretty much.

3 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

1.  Obviously, the answer is to get fit or try some different options on a monitor, but in general, what I'm hearing is that a higher compression Bridgestone Tour X should be a longer ball than their lower compression RX even for a slower swing speed of 80 with my irons (not recently checked driver swing speed) despite their recommendations, correct?

2.  as an aside, I was hoping to find a away to estimate my driver swing speed based on my known/measured iron swing speed.  I found this chart online, but it doesn't seem to mesh with my numbers, maybe my swing speed readings were off?

This golf swing speed chart shows the approximate carry distance for each golf club for different driver swing speeds.

My 9i carries about 135-140 with my 8i flying 150 which puts my estimated swing speed between 100-106. That seems awful high - I do not swing that fast

You are about a club longer than me with irons. My 7 iron is 145. My driver is 92-95, so it could be you are at 100+ for driver SS.

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

You are about a club longer than me with irons. My 7 iron is 145. My driver is 92-95, so it could be you are at 100+ for driver SS.

good to know - one day I'll get it checked - it was more of a curiosity