• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • I think that the push back on this comes from people that wanna have their cake and eat it too, in a way. They are really enjoying all of the extra stuff we've been hearing without crowds, except the curse words that come with it. I have no problem with it at all though. I'd rather hear the players than the commentators.
    • You are absolutely correct on your first point. the wrist and elbow will bend, so the path of the swing is not an exact circle it is a combination of the circumferences of three circles whose centres are the wrist, elbow and sternum respectively. The example i gave above above is simplified but is close enough to make no difference.  The speed difference that Mike Malaska shows above is directly related to the length of the path of the tip of the speed stick. It says nothing about how that speed is generated. In your second point, Acceleration is not relevant. Acceleration is  a function of speed, not the other way around. Acceleration is defined as the rate of change of speed between two points It is a calculated result of speed, which is itself a calculated result of two measured variables: distance and time. The speed is clearly not constant through the swing as it goes from 0 to impact speed. Acceleration may or may not be constant throughout the path, The speed at impact is the speed at impact and it is completely independent of the acceleration profile between top of the backswing and impact I am going to go back to the simplified driver example. Yes I know its not exactly a golf swing but it is close enough to explain the point. For a circle with a 67" radius (22" arms and 45" clublength) the circumferance is 2*pi*r in this case its 421". if we take the swing from top of back swing to impact, that is half the circumference which is 210.5". If the swing takes 0.25 seconds to complete from the top, then it takes 0.125 to go from top to impact. (Again this may vary slightly based on tempo, but I think its a reasonable approximation for the purpose of this example.) So the two measured variables are distance: 210" and time 0.125 seconds and we make the reasonable assumption that the club is not moving at the top of the backswing: (initial speed =0). Speed = initial speed + distance /time. The speed of the clubhead at impact is 0 + 210.5"/0.125 seconds = 0.003322083 miles / 0.000034722 hours = 95.7 mph. From these values we can also calculate the average acceleration of the club from top to impact. it is 95-0 miles per hour. divided by 0.125 seconds or 0.000034722 hours. That give a pretty impressive 2755468.8mp(h)^2  If you wanted to look at acceleration between smaller distances along the path, you would have to measure the distances & measure the time between them. you can then calculate the speed and acceleration at various points along the swing. This as you know can be and is done using high speed cameras.
    • It the heads and grooves are still in good shape, then go ahead. If you want to keep costs down and you are good for standard shaft length, look for a set of "pulls"; if you want say, Dynamic Gold S300's, lots of those around fairly cheap. They would probably have decent grips on them already.
    • One happened on the 13th hole. The "way out" was a shot that would have put me in real thick rough or if I caught it a little too firm would have put me out of bounds, and the other way would have gone into another bunker, so I took the 2 stroke unplayable lie in a bunker penalty and dropped behind the bunker, pitched on and one putted. Yeah, these shots are just horrid.  Normally, I try to get it out, nothing fancy. 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Allan Hazelrigg
      Allan Hazelrigg
      (71 years old)
    2. Chrilkm
      Chrilkm
      (18 years old)
    3. electech
      electech
      (66 years old)
    4. MilitaryTeeTime
      MilitaryTeeTime
      (54 years old)
    5. Raymer
      Raymer
      (61 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...