IGNORED

PGA Tour Suspends Robert Garrigus for Violating Drug Policy (Marijuana)

chspeed
Note: This thread is 1849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I am not sure about the effects being overstated. I'll take your word on it. 

I have a degree in medicinal chemistry, but that was 15 years ago. So, I could be wrong about that stuff. I'm sure the nature of hybrids and custom strains has improved over that time.

But anyway, I still don't think most of the people who wanted marijuana decriminalized are really concerned about the medicinal properties. 😛

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

definitely overstated!

https://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/health/charlotte-child-medical-marijuana/index.html

also, as the above poster mentioned, yes, many people consume cbd, which is non psychoactive.  Pretty sure Icasas decided long ago that drugs are bad MMMkay?  but 'targeted specific drugs' that are backed by multi billion dollar pharmaceutical companies are good.  I mean, nobody gets addicted to opiods right? 

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

14 hours ago, chspeed said:

True. Although it's so byzantine, who knows how it's decided and by whom. The Anti-Doping guide says that that cases of Drugs of Abuse violations "shall be referred for evaluation and disciplinary action under the Tournament Regulations for Conduct Unbecoming a Professional. " I can't find those anywhere except for some PGA rules.

“And thy Holy PGA spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out thy reefer from thy mouth. Then, shalt thou count to three months suspension. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, leavest thou from thy Holy PGA Tour, and sitteth on thy duff until thy repenteth."

• Like 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
6 hours ago, downbylaw11 said:

definitely overstated!

https://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/health/charlotte-child-medical-marijuana/index.html

also, as the above poster mentioned, yes, many people consume cbd, which is non psychoactive.  Pretty sure Icasas decided long ago that drugs are bad MMMkay?  but 'targeted specific drugs' that are backed by multi billion dollar pharmaceutical companies are good.  I mean, nobody gets addicted to opiods right? 

What a bad post.

If he needed it medically he could have gotten a TUE.

He wasn’t using it medically.

My senior research project was testing derivatives of MDMA to aid Alzheimer’s patients. I have a degree in medicinal chemistry.

Mmmmmmmkay? 😛

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 3/25/2019 at 10:46 AM, chspeed said:

I also find Garrigus's overly apologetic tone vexing.

I think RG's apology is probably one of the most sincere I've ever read from a public figure.  Anyone who has ever tried to overcome an addiction will know how shitty it feels to relapse.  I feel bad for the guy and hope he's able to regroup and come out of this stronger.

My experience with pot and pot smokers has been about the same as drinkers.  I've known complete burn-outs who are pretty much useless as people and very successful people who's pot use amounts to the equivalent of a couple beers after work.  I'd vote to legalize it in NY simply because the "war on drugs" is a futile exercise in spending money, but I've tried it and prefer to remain clear headed.

Edited by krupa
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

(edited)
51 minutes ago, krupa said:

I think RG's apology is probably one of the most sincere I've ever read from a public figure.  Anyone who has ever tried to overcome an addiction will know how shitty it feels to relapse.  I feel bad for the guy and hope he's able to regroup and come out of this stronger.

Yes, reading about his past, he's definitely dealing with more than just a "I smoked a joint and got caught", and that's too bad. Definitely explains his apology. I wish him the best. Still, I stand by the fact that if that's all the PGA/USGA had on him, the penalty was out of sync with the national stance on marijuana. Just my opinion, and I know many disagree.

51 minutes ago, krupa said:

I'd vote to legalize it in NY simply because the "war on drugs" is a futile exercise in spending money, but I've tried it and prefer to remain clear headed.

☝️ - specifically the war on marijuana.

Edited by chspeed

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, chspeed said:

the penalty was out of sync with the national stance on marijuana.

Well no shit, but the "national stance" is toward legalization, so any penalty would be "out of sync."

But you seem to be incapable of either letting that point go, or realizing that the PGA Tour doesn't have to operate by the "national stance." They're an international tour, for one, and an Olympic sport that's still in the trial phase.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Well no shit, but the "national stance" is toward legalization, so any penalty would be "out of sync."

But you seem to be incapable of either letting that point go, or realizing that the PGA Tour doesn't have to operate by the "national stance." They're an international tour, for one, and an Olympic sport that's still in the trial phase.

@iacas, you seem incapable of not trolling a perfectly friendly, constructive thread. Chill out.

6 minutes ago, chspeed said:

@iacas, you seem incapable of not trolling a perfectly friendly, constructive thread. Chill out.

If you think that is trolling you need to actually learn what trolling is.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, chspeed said:

You're closer to trolling than I am, man. We get it. You don't think it was "in line with the times."

The PGA Tour is a private business with interests that you can't seem to comprehend.

Members agree to drug testing, including for marijuana, and the penalties for breaching the Tour's drug policy.

22 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Not for nothing, but doesn't that work out pretty well for people who were smoking back in the 60s-80s?? **edit** Meaning that it's the same generations of people that used it the most** That puts them 60+ years old and now they get to use it legally for medicinal purposes. Honestly, I think medicinal use is fine, though I really think that it would make way more sense to pull the beneficial chemicals from it to use in pill or liquid form so people can get the help without the high.

And the fun in that would be? 

13 hours ago, iacas said:

I have a degree in medicinal chemistry, but that was 15 years ago. So, I could be wrong about that stuff. I'm sure the nature of hybrids and custom strains has improved over that time.

But anyway, I still don't think most of the people who wanted marijuana decriminalized are really concerned about the medicinal properties. 😛

I watched my father-in-law die from lung cancer; he was the first person I ever witnessed use marijuana medicinally. It made the last year of his life much better. It helped with the pain, increased his appetite, and allowed him to function when normally he would have been bedridden. He always said he wished he had started using it sooner, he resisted at first because he was a retired DEA agent and he hated illegal drugs.

That being said I agree with you for every person like my father-in-law there are a hundred jackasses out there with "anxiety" who just want to get high, binge watch Game of Thrones, and eat cheese puffs without worrying about getting arrested,

Edited by NM Golf
  • Like 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

3 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

And the fun in that would be?

... I was unaware that people took medication for the "fun"....

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Just now, Jeremie Boop said:

... I was unaware that people took medication for the "fun"....

By any chance sir do you pass the time by yelling at the neighbor kids to stay off your lawn?

giphy.gif.05eabce5ddb4cb93b11dc9b4c4c14e10.gif

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

9 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

By any chance sir do you pass the time by yelling at the neighbor kids to stay off your lawn?

giphy.gif.05eabce5ddb4cb93b11dc9b4c4c14e10.gif

Nope, but seriously, if someone takes a medication for the "fun" side effects then maybe they don't really need the medication.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Correct - these are two distinctly separate topics.

Medicinal use - this is a legitimate group and needs to be assessed seriously in terms of the law of the land.

Recreational - this is a personal liberties kind of argument which should stand on its own, frankly.  Dopers need to STOP trying to hang their cause (even partially) on the medicinal argument.  It's false, it's stupid, and (IMHO) hurts their cause immensely.  (Much like gun rights advocates claiming the 2nd is about hunting or self protection)

Disclaimer - I think MJ is stupid and harmful, I don't use it nor want to be around others that do (or smell like it).  However, my personal politics means that my opinion is enforced on me alone - I do not have an expectation of law to force my position on others that believe otherwise.

Sorry - I should speak to the post itself.  The "law" isn't fining or mucking with Garrigus - so I have no opinion on whether the penalty is out of line.  The PGA is fining Garrigus under a contract that Garrigus and the PGA have with each other - a PRIVATE agreement - therefore it's perfectly 'in line' as this is the voluntary contract between two private entities.

I hope Garrigus gets the help he wants and comes out the other end batter.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

3 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Nope, but seriously, if someone takes a medication for the "fun" side effects then maybe they don't really need the medication.

Geez ya think? Thank you Captain Obvious. 

captain-obvious-gif-8.gif.bcec6a4ff427a24f7c7ee30f13172c56.gif

Obviously, a high percentage of marijuana "patients" would be just fine without their "medication". I would imagine the medicinal marijuana industry would be horrified by the possibility of removing the "high" from the medicinal properties of the drug. Such a breakthrough might cause a serious downturn in customer satisfaction. 😜

• Administrator
Just now, NM Golf said:

I watched my father-in-law die from lung cancer; he was the first person I ever witnessed use marijuana medicinally. It made the last year of his life much better. It helped with the pain, increased his appetite, and allowed him to function when normally he would have been bedridden. He always said he wished he had started using it sooner, he resisted at first because he was a retired DEA agent and he hated illegal drugs.

I've long supported its use medicinally.

Just now, NM Golf said:

That being said I agree with you for every person like my father-in-law there are a hundred jackasses out there with "anxiety" who just want to get high, binge watch Game of Thrones, and eat cheese puffs without worrying about getting arrested.

I also, obviously, agree with you there.

When I was younger my friends would watch Survivor every week and smoke pot. I couldn't care less, as two of them worked from home on computers (like me) and the others would be plenty "back to normal" by the next day when they had to function in society at their regular jobs.

Personally, for me, I don't see the point in wanting to alter my brain chemistry in the way marijuana does. I generally don't even take pain killers for headaches unless they're bad. I generally prefer to stay away from medicines or drugs of any kind.

I don't care if other people do, IF they can do so responsibly. Some strains of marijuana, for example, slow reaction times. Or blur vision slightly. Or change your perception of the world in some way that may make even driving or other similar activities more dangerous than they would be for a clear-headed person.

3 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Disclaimer - I think MJ is stupid and harmful, I don't use it nor want to be around others that do (or smell like it).  However, my personal politics means that my opinion is enforced on me alone - I do not have an expectation of law to force my position on others that believe otherwise.

I'm closer to that than "pot for everyone" to be sure. And again to be clear, medicinally, it's an entirely different topic.

Though I'm guilty of this as well, let's also bring this back to just talking about the PGA Tour, and leave any sort of political leanings or tints out of it. This includes whether pot should be legal or not, etc. (except inasmuch as the legality is a factor in the PGA Tour's enforcement).

K?

24 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

frankly, those kids really should stay off your lawn

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 1849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!