IGNORED

PGA Tour Suspends Robert Garrigus for Violating Drug Policy (Marijuana)

chspeed
Note: This thread is 1849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A three-month suspension for weed? Dustin Johnson, a three-time offender, got 6 months for cocaine. I also find Garrigus's overly apologetic tone vexing. Maybe there's something else behind this?

garrigus.jpg

Robert Garrigus has been suspended by the PGA Tour for violating the Tour's anti-doping program. In a statement, Garrigus says the drug that...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When you’re caught intentionally violating the rules by using a prohibited substance, how can you be “overly apologetic”?

Maybe appropriately apologetic...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• iacas changed the title to PGA Tour Suspends Robert Garrigus for Violating Drug Policy (Marijuana)
  • Administrator

Like many, I think the PGA Tour's policy ties to the Olympic and WADA (?) policy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

When you’re caught intentionally violating the rules by using a prohibited substance, how can you be “overly apologetic”? 

Maybe appropriately apologetic...

I guess I find it ironic that the tour's first public suspension for "drug abuse" is marijuana, which isn't generally considered performance enhancing nor illegal in many states.

I would be annoyed if I were him.

Edited by chspeed

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, chspeed said:

I guess I find it ironic that the tour's first public suspension for "drug abuse"

I don't think that's accurate.

It's the first suspension for a "drug of abuse", which the tour defines in its anti-doping manual as "recreational drugs that are often times obtained illegally."

It's not the first suspension, either.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

25 minutes ago, chspeed said:

I guess I find it ironic that the tour's first public suspension for "drug abuse" is marijuana, which isn't generally considered performance enhancing nor illegal in many states.

I would be annoyed if I were him.

That’s like saying that he should be annoyed for being assessed a penalty for intentionally violating a rule on the course.

He knew the rules.  He knew the consequences of getting caught.

Don’t do the “crime” if you don’t want to do the time...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It has actually been allowed in MMA now, I believe. The suspensions for these things have never been consistent. I think it depends on the person as well. In the UFC, for instance, you have a couple of guys that will receive a 6 month suspension for Marijuana, but then you have Nick Diaz that received like 5 years. It's crazy how the penalty is so inconsistent.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

(edited)
14 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think that's accurate.

It's the first suspension for a "drug of abuse", which the tour defines in its anti-doping manual as "recreational drugs that are often times obtained illegally."

It's not the first suspension, either.

Golf Digest reports that it is the first public suspension: "Garrigus is the first PGA Tour pro to be suspended—at least, publicly—for a "drug of abuse," which the tour defines in its anti-doping manual as "recreational drugs that are often times obtained illegally." Here was the full statement from the PGA Tour:"

Whatever the case, I still think it's harsh.

Edited by chspeed

From the PGA Tour's Anti-Doping Program Manual:

Screenshot_20190325-113457_Drive.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, chspeed said:

Golf Digest reports that it is the first public suspension: "Garrigus is the first PGA Tour pro to be suspended—at least, publicly—for a "drug of abuse," which the tour defines in its anti-doping manual as "recreational drugs that are often times obtained illegally." Here was the full statement from the PGA Tour:"

Whatever the case, I still think it's harsh.

Hard to say that it's harsh if you knowingly break the rules though. 3 months seems kind of light for it. If I were in his shoes, I would take the 3 months and keep my mouth closed...haha

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, upndown21 said:

Robin Williams said it best “Mj is only a performance enhancing drug if you put Oreos at the end of the run”

The PGA Tour sees value in being in the Olympics, and I believe sports who want to be in the Olympics need to conform to the WADA. Or they're helped greatly if they do.

It's that simple.

1 minute ago, chspeed said:

Golf Digest reports that it is the first public suspension:

You said "for drug abuse." That's not what it said. It said "drug of abuse" which has a definition.

I wonder why the PGA TOUR made it public. I thought they always kept suspensions on the down-low.

DJ for example-they never said. ESPN did some investigative reporting on that one.

Did the PGA TOUR change their policy? Will the PGA TOUR announce these from now on? Or do they only announce it if you’re not a star?

it reads to me that because of the Olympics, you cannot smoke weed and to participate in the sport you have to conform, even if you aren't going to be part of the Olympics.   That's fine, but I wonder if this was the first action.   3 months in this instance seems excessive since it is legal in a lot of places in the US.   I wouldn't say it's harsh if the Tour told him to stop and he didn't.   But given the overall circumstances, I think it's ridiculous.

—Adam

5 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

it reads to me that because of the Olympics, you cannot smoke weed and to participate in the sport you have to conform, even if you aren't going to be part of the Olympics.   That's fine, but I wonder if this was the first action.   3 months in this instance seems excessive since it is legal in a lot of places in the US.   I wouldn't say it's harsh if the Tour told him to stop and he didn't.   But given the overall circumstances, I think it's ridiculous.

Doesn't matter if it's legal in a state if it's illegal Federally, as explained in the post @billchao put up from the PGA Tour's material. When you choose to be part of an organization you agree to abide by it's rules. It's not the Tour's job to tell him to stop, it's his job to follow the rules outlined by the Tour.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I wonder why the PGA TOUR made it public.

Did they?

Robert Garrigus made it public, no?

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Did they?

Robert Garrigus made it public, no?

Ok that makes more sense. I misunderstood based on the headline:

”golf digest reports that this is the first public suspension”

Note: This thread is 1849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!