I am 63 and just restarted playing regularly about 2 1/2 years ago after 30 years of just playing a few times a year. My index has gone down from about 23 then to 15 now. To continue to improve, I need to
1. Chip and putt much better. Chipping esp. needs to improve.
2. Improve hitting on downhill lies. Too my fat shots from severe downhill lies.
3. Be more consistent. My scores on my home course varied from 84 to 97 last year. Key is keeping drives in fairway (we have very severe roughs), which became a strength last year and hit irons cleanly all the time. On poor rounds, I hit too many irons thin or fat. On better rounds, I hit irons consistly cleanly. Need to figure out how to do this consistently.
4. Improve wedge play. Esp. Partial wedges.
5. Stop overswinging. Have long easy swings. More use of legs - less of arms.