Well, the U.S. Open was a bit anti-climactic. Martin Kaymer beat the field into submission with two near-perfect opening rounds of 65. Dare we call it blitzkrieg?
In the end, the big stories going in got answered:
- Would Phil Mickelson complete the career grand slam? Not with that balky putter.
- Could Lee Westwood finally win a major? No.
- Would Rory McIlroy win his second U.S. Open? No (He'd finish T23).
- Is Kenny Perry too old to compete in a major? Maybe, but then again T28 isn't too shabby.
- Would Tiger Woods show up or live tweet the event? Seriously?
- Can a two-time heart transplant recipient rise to the top level of his sport? Oh yes.
Let's hit the links.