IGNORED

I have a question about older tournaments

Wisconsin Golfer
Note: This thread is 5667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I read DOWN THE FAIRWAY by BOBBY JONES, a great book, however it ends before his grand slam. So, I started reading THE BOBBY JONES STORY by O. B. KEELER, an awesome book and alot more detailed.
The question that I have is, in both books during tournaments, they talk about a medal winner and then the tournament champion. What is the difference?

In My Limited Edition "Sir Isaac Newton Caricature" Big Bertha Tour Bag:
Driver: Big Bertha Fusion Ft-3
Hybrid: Big Bertha Heavenwood 3h
Irons And Wedges: Big Bertha X-12 3-Sw And
60* Vokey Spin Milled Oil-Can Lob-WedgePutter: White Hot Xg Sabertooth and a Futura Phantom Balls: Hx Hot Bite...

Not 100% sure, but guessing that back in those days, many tournaments were match play. Prior to the match play start, there is usually a couple rounds of stroke play to pare the field to 64 and seed the matches. I'm guessing the medal winner was the low score of the play in. (?)

Not 100% sure, but guessing that back in those days, many tournaments were match play. Prior to the match play start, there is usually a couple rounds of stroke play to pare the field to 64 and seed the matches. I'm guessing the medal winner was the low score of the play in. (?)

I think this is right. In the big match play tournaments like the US Amateur the regional qualifiers are medal (stroke) play, and the first rounds are also at stroke play to shrink the field down to the number for the match brackets. I don't know if they start the match brackets at 128 or 64 players, but the low score of those qualifying for match play would likely be the Medal winner. That player would also be the #1 seed in the bracketing.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you guys.

In My Limited Edition "Sir Isaac Newton Caricature" Big Bertha Tour Bag:
Driver: Big Bertha Fusion Ft-3
Hybrid: Big Bertha Heavenwood 3h
Irons And Wedges: Big Bertha X-12 3-Sw And
60* Vokey Spin Milled Oil-Can Lob-WedgePutter: White Hot Xg Sabertooth and a Futura Phantom Balls: Hx Hot Bite...

Note: This thread is 5667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!