IGNORED

Can I just get a definitive answer?

Dr_Fu_Manchu
Note: This thread is 5509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love scientific evidence so HERE it is. Click on that link and it takes you to an article from Golf magazine where they did a study that showed that stiking the ball with a slightly ascending blow leads to 20 or more yards of distance compared to a descending blow.

I study the golf swing and read every book I can on the subject and hitting a modern driver with a descending blow makes absolutley no sense what-so-ever. First, a descending blow would impart unwanted spin on the ball causing it to hook, slice, or balloon more in flight. Secondly, driver ball position would have to be in the middle of your stance, who ever heard of hitting a driver from the middle of your stance? Clampett claims that all shots need to be struck approx 4 inches before the bottom of the swing arch. I have studied the swings of nearly every PGA and LPGA professional I can find and NONE of them play the ball back that far or hit it with a descending blow.

Maybe this is why Bobby Clampett is a commentator now instead of a player. The guy wasn't exactly a world beater on tour, he only won one tour event in his entire career and that was just the 1982 Southern Open.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What do you guys think?

I think if the thunder don't get you then the lightning will.

I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

I love scientific evidence so

I agree. If you research this at all, you will find the overwhelming majority say to hit it on the upswing. I'm not saying you can't hit a driver on the decent, just that it is significantly easier to hit it on the upswing.

x18 S-4
Lob wedge
Hybore 3 wood
R7 Driver
Shark Head putter (love that old thing)

NM Golf,
Since when was the prerequisite for knowledge about impact winning multiple tour events? (And certainly not lowly events like the Southern Open! Those don't count!)
Do you really believe that you know better than a seasoned veteran on the PGA tour who has written a book on the topic? If you in fact do believe you know more, try not to deride Bobby Clampett's career in an attempt to justify the way you feel about yourself.
Andrew Rice
www.andrewricegolf.com
www.itsallaboutimpact.com

Note: This thread is 5509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!