IGNORED

Golf woes

Note: This thread is 6467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey folks,
I decided to make this post because I’m looking for a little bit of experience, and maybe insight, from others as to situations similar to mine. I’m pretty new here so I don’t expect anyone to know me but I’m in a sort of a “golf funk” right now. My index is 3.2 which to me is somewhat misleading given my take on the general population’s view of what a 3.2 should consist of (you know, always shooting par and whatnot . While I have been playing golf since 7 years of age (27 years), I have gone through periods of drought where I may have only played 6 to 8 times a year, mainly through college and when my kids were really small. I have now gotten to a point where I have been able to join a country club and play once or twice a week and maybe hit balls or practice putting once a week. I have moments where I play really well and can shoot around par but I also throw in the occasional 85 or so. I feel as though I shouldn’t shoot above 80 on most courses, primarily because I consider myself a thinker on the course, know quite a bit about the swing and game, and am capable of most shots required but most of my playing partners have this “image” built up in their minds that I’m this scratch golfer and act like they’re attending my funeral when I shoot one of these “balloon” rounds. This just adds to the image in my mind that something is very wrong and basically gets me thinking that I’m not where I should be. Logic says that if I can only play once a week and practice once a week then I probably should have lower expectations. If that is the case then I guess I have to accept it but the competitive side of me won’t allow this so I ask anyone, willing to contribute, for thoughts, ideas and maybe a few words of encouragement.

Thanks,
Matt

ITB
Ping Si3 10* Grafalloy Blue
Mizuno F-60 13.5* Exsar FS3
Mizuno CLK FLI-HI 17* Exsar HS2
Mizuno MP-67 4-PW DG S300Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58Bobby Jones 64Titleist Cameron Stainless Newport 2Titleist ProV1x

I think the first thing you should do is to sell that Driver on eBay since it's a wimpy regular shaft. Go get at least a stiff shaft driver (a titileist or tm since it looks like your other clubs are one of those brand, tm are more expansive) with 67g+ or better on eBay with the money.
You can even get rid of your 3 wood since it has a steel shaft and get a stiff graphite shaft that can get you more distance.

Then practice your long game in regards to distance and accuracy by hitting the driver and 3 wood until you have confidence with them.

If you already have good game with your irons, and short game (wedges and putting) then you have a more complete game with an
improved long game you will be able to get to the hole faster and easier on par 4 and 5s.

If you are going to just play once a week, I don't think it would be easy to improve fast or improve at all. I think most people should play/practice at least 3 times a week to get any improvement on their game, what ever they are working on driver/woods, irons, wedge, putting...

But to start, you need to sell the driver and 3 wood and go kick some ass with your long game and show your friends what a bad ass you are...

I appreciate the feedback...fortunately for me, the driver is usually the better part of my game. The reason I keep the ping in the bag is because it seems I have found the perfect one for my swing. A regular flex does not necessarily indicate a "wimpy" shaft as I can certainly attest to. I can say that I was shocked to find how well I hit it. I certainly don't subscribe to "buying a game" as that has been proven to be a sure-fire way to spend a lot of money to never improve. I am thinking this is much more mental and probably will have to accept the level at which I am playing as long as I am limited to the amount of time I have to devote at present.

Thanks again,
Matt
ITB
Mizuno MP-67 4-PW DG S300Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58Bobby Jones 64Titleist Cameron Stainless Newport 2Titleist ProV1x

Thanks...I have experienced the same issues with my index staying the same which makes tournament play very sketchy for me. It's more or less a gamble as to whether I will be "on" or not that particular set of rounds. I think "one shot at a time" is a great idea to focus on and I will definitely give it more attention.

Thanks,
Matt
ITB

nothing wrong with 80's... Even tour pro's doing it (tougher courses, but they're +5 hcp or so). I'm 3.5 and my scoring average according to the GHIN computer at my course is 80.1 ... Difference between 70 and 80 is smaller than one would think - few putts here and there, couple chips left short, one more penalty...
Unless you're working on the game hours a day and playing 4 - 5 rounds a week - can't expect low 70's every time don't get too hard on yourself.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rabcin hit it right on, no pun intended. The difference between 72 and 82 is really nothing. A few unlucky breaks, a few putts or chips and your at 82. Thats clearer in your case because you do shoot rounds you do like. Somedays that errant shot hits a tree and lands in the fairway others days its OB. Thats golf.

...but most of my playing partners have this “image” built up in their minds that I’m this scratch golfer and act like they’re attending my funeral when I shoot one of these “balloon” rounds. This just adds to the image in my mind that something is very wrong and basically gets me thinking that I’m not where I should be.

Geez, it's not enough that you have to play against the course or grapple with your own expectations for yourself. You've gone so far as to question whether or not you are living up to the expectations of your playing partners.

It's a wonder you have any room left in your head for swing thoughts How about getting back to what makes golf fun and satisfying for you, whether it is improving a particular aspect of your game, feeling that squish when you just pure a swing, visiting other courses, morning dew on the grass, etc.? As for not being where you should be, how do you really know where that is? What happens when you arrive? What if you don't? Does it really matter? I think you just need to stop and smell the roses, and with an index of 3.2 (forget whether that makes you a scratch golfer) you've got a lot of roses.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

Good point Larry and I appreciate the insight. I'm sure, were I on tour, that I would be one of those guys having to have their mental coach go with them to every tournament

Thanks for everyone's input. I have clearly violated two of the four agreements I try to live by (numbers 2 and 3):

1. Be impeccable with your word
2. Don't make assumptions
3. Don't take anything personally
4. Always do your best

Thanks again to all who replied.

Matt

ITB

Note: This thread is 6467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!