IGNORED

Another Wedge set thread - Callaway Jaws CC or Titleist Vokey Spin Milled??

Note: This thread is 4511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello there,

This is my first post, but is a forum I have been following for some time now.

I haven't been playing golf too long, but am really starting to enjoy it. I am looking to buy a new wedge set, as my short game needs some tuning and is something I am really focused on.

I am looking for wedges that are easy to hit, with very good feel to them. I have been reading the links given in another thread to try and understand 'bounce' a little more and feel I understand it a little better than I did before.

I am torn whether to invest in a set of Vokeys (52, 56, 60) or Jaws (52, 56, 60). I have noticed that the Jaws have quite high bounce options only, and was hoping to gather a few opinions from people that play these wedges. Would the high bounce on the Jaws potentially make them harder to play for someone who is relatively new to the game?

Bounce choice depends on two things:

• Your downswing: steep, medium or shallow (you can find this out in a wedge fitting)
  • The normal playing conditions you face

Also, a PW plus 52, 56 and 60 can be quite a lot of short game to manage and keep in practice. I have time to play quite a bit, and I'm considering going from four back to three wedges.

Plus, you might wait a season or two before you try the 60*/LW. Not everyone warms up to a LW, including some better players.

Callaway Jaws series has some variety in bounce, but Vokey SMs have a lot more. Vokey offers six sole grinds, three metal finishes, and 17 loft/bounce combinations.

You might try a less expensive wedge until your game really takes shape. Adams and Maxfli have good wedges.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks very much for the advice and guidance.

I did think maybe the vokeys would be more suitable due to the different options they offer, and was concered that I would struggle to play the Jaws.

The reason for looking at the expensive wedges was so I didnt have to look to replace them so soon, but I will check out the Adams and Mafli's.

Thank you very much for your assistance. I was looking to play 4 wedges because I hit relatively straight from the tee, but my approach play and from around the green is absolutely terrible and costing me shots.

I have three wedges (Vokeys) plus a picthing wedge.

52* 8 (raw) which is use from 90 yards and in and all pitch and chip shots, very easy to get a hop and stop with this one. Also good for a low bump and run off the back foot.

56* 12 (raw) which I use for all fluffy lie type shots and explosion from fluffy bunkers. Also nice from a damp fairway as the bounce stops it from digging in too much.

60* 6 (black nickel) which I use from hardpan, dry fairways and compacted sand. Very easy to use (unless its wet or damp and then it doesnt have enough bounce) I am not a fan of the black nickel finish though. Its too hard feeling and it also suffers from glare in sunlight. I should have got another raw one.

I prefer the look of the rusty wedges and would err on the side of more bounce if you are unsure.

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

• 6 months later...

If you buy the Vokey's make sure you can afford to replace them in 18 months time. The face wears easily and the before you know it you will have little spin and poor performance as well as a club that looks diseased. I honestly do not know what all the fuss is about with Vokeys. Overpriced and poor quality. Just my view.

i picked up a jaws not too long ago, (CC grooves, slate version) and i have to say i'm switching out my 54 and my 58 prior to season start. they spin like CRAZY off the face of the callaway..more so than my vokey when it was new. I am definitely going to be a bit worried on how they tear up my prov's come spring...it shreds range balls right now.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Note: This thread is 4511 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!