IGNORED

Realistic Goals

chasegolfguy
Note: This thread is 3923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure if this is a good place to post about this but ill give it a shot. I'm 17 and started playing 3 months ago and I'm committed to becoming a good golfer . I have taken some lessons and have been told the way I rotate my body is very good ! Does anyone have any advice on what a practice routine for me should be ? I can play all day if I choose to for the next 50 days about and want to try to make my high school golf team . Thanks !

honestly, i would spend plenty of time on the driving range... hitting buckets upon buckets of balls..    if you have the funds to hit 4 to 5 buckets per day, i'd use the first 4 buckets on your irons and just start with your wedges, and work your way on up to your driver.... and save the last bucket for your 3 wood and driver....

focus more on hitting the ball straight vs hitting it far.....

It is what it is

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure if this is a good place to post about this but ill give it a shot. I'm 17 and started playing 3 months ago and I'm committed to becoming a good golfer . I have taken some lessons and have been told the way I rotate my body is very good ! Does anyone have any advice on what a practice routine for me should be ? I can play all day if I choose to for the next 50 days about and want to try to make my high school golf team . Thanks !

Seems like you should be able to make JV pretty easily, then use the resources of the team to really work on your golf.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Glad to hear you have committed to taking up the game!  I'm also pleased to hear you have been taking some lessons.  I really think that, assuming you have a half-way decent teacher, lessons are well worth the cost if you want to advance quickly, particularly since they will help prevent developing weird swing quirks that people make up for themselves to "solve" some problem, but which limit their skill advancement in the long run.  (Watch people around you on the golf course and you will likely see many of those quirks.)

I have spent a good bit of time on the range this year and it really will help you to practice, so long as you make each shot with purpose rather than just banging balls as far as you can.  Pick a target and make sure to aim at it, even if it is too far away to actually reach with the club you're working on.  If you miss the line, take a moment to consider the miss; 'I missed that about 15 yards to the right.'  If you don't consciously note misses on the range it is easy to think you are doing better than you really are.  And the magnitude of those misses becomes more and more critical as you get into the shorter clubs.  Fifteen yards to the right may still be in the fairway for your driver.  Fifteen yards to the right is off the green and in a bunker with an 8 iron.

Golf is made up of three games really, the long game, the short game, and putting.  Time on the range is mostly about the full swing long game.   But you can't score without developing skill at those shorter pitch and chip shots and with the putter.  Watch any golf tournament on TV and you'll see that the best golfers in the world still end up with a wedge in their hands quite often, and as often as not the great saves and big come from behind shots are made with those clubs.  Don't skimp on practicing the short stuff too.

Finally, don't forget to have fun.  It's a game after all.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Note: This thread is 3923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Partners

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
    • @StuM when I called the course a couple of months ago they said you can mention that you want to add an extra night to the hotel when you book the package through them and the people who are in charge of the stay and play can handle it, did you ask them about that?
    • Though start, bad design. For me.. I would tee it up and hit the biggest club face in the bag that don't airmail the green. Also hit a fade that is a lot easier for me to hit up on the air. 180/190.. it should be a high cut with 3 Wood with a tee 1 inch above the turf.  
    • I'm on the side of thinking that something is not right here and should be reviewed. Let say that their course rating is pretty low, so their index is higher than it should be. But if they always play at their home course they are probably going to play bad away from home so it should even that advantage out or at least lower it down.  Also you can say that they are amazing players under pressure and very skilled in match play format, but at the end of the day variance and luck is always going to play a big role between 2 players of similar handicap. Let's assume that player A have 75% chance of winning a match over player B that only have 25%, there is no way that a player's skill in match play can make such a difference in a match outcome but I prefer to use a number that is hard to argue. (For me.. 60/40, or 65/35 at most) The odds of winning 21 straight matches with that  generous odds are less than 1% (or 1 in 420). Is this proof that they are "cheating" or something, of course not but is evidence enough to note that something is not right and should be reviewed further.     
    • UPDATE.....Please read We still have time to add more golfers to both days, June 1st & June 2nd At this time he have reservations for 20 golfers on each day At this time we have 17 for Saturday at EagleSticks - Room for 3 more At this time we have 16 for Sunday at the Virtures - Room for 4 more Please post ASAP if interested. I need to give a more final count May 17th. They will accommodate a fluke last minute change but lets try to iron this out to they can sell tee-times if we do not need them. It will also be hard to add tee times. COST: If you are golfing both rounds AND staying in the "Stay & Play" hotel the cost is $252 This includes Golf on Saturday & Sunday and Saturday night in the hotel (See below for hotel info.) If you want the "Stay & Play" I need to arrange that. If you ARE NOT staying in the hotel the cost is as follows: Sat. June 1st @ EagleSticks = $80 Sun. June 2nd @ Virtues = $120 You will notice the "Stay & Play" deal is hotel for only $52 extra which is a great deal.  If you want in on that let me know! Saturday tee times are: 10:15, 10:24, 10:33, 10:42 and 10:51 I will try to get those spending Friday Night in the hotel in the early groups to allow others more time to drive in. Sunday tee times are 9:00 9:09, 9:18, 9:27am and 9:36 Saturday after the round we will have an area at EagleSticks to gather for prizes, food & drink.   Sunday after the round is currently un-planned If we can guarantee 16 we can reserve a small room but there would be a hard charge @ $20 per head at the Virtues and we would have a simple buffet Likely we just grab a beer a dog and a table as available. Let me know if you think a more formal plan for Sunday after the round is needed. The "Stay & Play" hotel has changed Double Tree in Newark 50 North 2nd Street Newark, OH 43055 740-322-6455 If you need a hotel for either Friday or Sunday nights you will need to book on your own. I was give an estimate of @ $249 for the Double Tree and do not know if there are better offers elsewhere. I will be arriving Friday, hoping for mid-late afternoon and would love to meet up for dinner with any that are in town. Time & Location TBD Below are the names & have confirmed: Would really love to get more golfers.  Reply if interested.  Time is running down. Below is updated with best information I have. PLEASE add/delete your tag as necessary. Saturday, June 1st at EagleSticks: @iacas @StuM @DaveP043 @billchao @boogielicious @bkuehn1952 @saevel25 @David L Yskes @Hardspoon @georgep @rwolfe @ChetlovesMer @CarlSpackler @Slice of Life @Ryguy22 @DinnerTime @dudu3000 Here is what I have for the "Stay & Play" with Hotel for Sat. Evening.  We will need to "Double up" to extent possible. @billchao and @boogielicious @David L Yskes @StuM and @DaveP043 @saevel25 @bkuehn1952 @Ryguy22 and @DinnerTime @Hardspoon/@iacas organizing their own room. Sunday, June 2nd at Virtues: @iacas @StuM @DaveP043 @billchao @boogielicious @bkuehn1952 @Carl3 @saevel25 @David L Yskes @Hardspoon @georgep  @klineka @Ryguy22 @DinnerTime @vasaribm @dudu3000 Below have express interest but have not confirmed.  PLEASE confirm one way or the other. @Greenshirt100  
    • The dreaded 6 o'clock shadow. 🤣

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...