IGNORED

I played my 1st round without a driver, 3 wood, hybrid

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On another thread, I read about playing with a few clubs as part of training - to be good at using specific clubs.   I have been struggling with my approach shots, usually, mid to long irons.   So, I decided to remove driver, 3 wood, and hybrid to increase the frequency of using long iron (4 in this case).   Well, as predicted, without long clubs, I needed longer 2nd shots and the game suffered.  I did a few strokes higher than what I do normally on the course.   But I am convinced, it would help me improve my long irons shot and get my handicap index to below 14 again.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been doing exactly this lately, haven't actually removed them from my bag, just refusing to hit my Driver and 3-wood. Hitting more 3-irons has really changed how I approach holes now and my last couple rounds have been much better. I've become more comftorable with hitting my 3-iron on par 4's rather then my 3-wood or driver.

When you do this, do you move forward to a closer tee box?

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

I did it yesterday late when there was no one around.   I played the usual tee I normally play which is 6200 yards, par 72..  I stuck with this tee to hit at least two long iron shots back to back (tee off & 2nd) on par 4s & 5s.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

I'm the same as rkim, I also play the same tee's.  I've noticed that the distance that is lost on the tee box only hurts you on a few shots, mostly the par 5's.

I'm the same as rkim, I also play the same tee's.  I've noticed that the distance that is lost on the tee box only hurts you on a few shots, mostly the par 5's.

It hurt me on par 4s but not on 5s. My par 5s were short enough. In fact I may not have to use driver on many par 5 holes to get to green in 3 unless I have a realistic chance at an eagle putt.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Originally Posted by rkim291968

It hurt me on par 4s but not on 5s. My par 5s were short enough. In fact I may not have to use driver on many par 5 holes to get to green in 3 unless I have a realistic chance at an eagle putt.

The 4's aren't that bad for me, I can reach them all in 2 with a 3 iron off the tee.  But just because I can reach them doesn't mean I hit them, lol...I miss a lot of greens and have to rely on my short game which has allowed me to scramble for par on most of them.  The par 5's all take 3 shots to reach the green which hurts my game, I prefer being able to take a long to medium iron into the greens in 2 rather then a 3i then a iron to 150 and in.

Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!