IGNORED

Swapped out my old Driver (Ping versus Cobra)

Note: This thread is 1671 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone discovered a Driver that they never really thought of before, but yet tried it out on a whim at Golf Galaxy off their used rack, and somehow someway, absolutely fell in love with it?

I have been a Ping player for years and years and years, and have a philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it..." and play older model clubs and still play older model clubs no matter what year it is.

My #1 Driver has always been a Ping G10 with a 9° face and a stock Ping TFC-129(stiff) shaft. Over this past year, I started rapidly losing distance and had a very bizarre ball flight off the tee -- 15' high screamers that only carried 225 but yet with massive top spin so they rolled and rolled and rolled. I met with an instructor and was told that it was time to face the facts that I am getting older and no longer had the oomph and powerful swing speed needed for a 9° face and stiff shaft. It was time to change. "A man's got to know his limitations" -- Clint Eastwood.

Long story short, I found a King Cobra 454 driver in a 10.5° face and a stock Cobra Mitsubishi Rayon SL-45 regular shaft. The guy at Golf Galaxy reset the indoor range machine back up for me, and I tried out the used driver. I couldn't believe it! I was nailing every single drive straight out there with a beautiful high launch arc, dead straight, carry 252... 258... and my (max/best) clubhead speed was 92 mph.

The guy at Golf Galaxy told me that I found the right club for my swing style and speed.

They took in my used Ping G10 and gave me credit/discount towards the used King Cobra 454 and I quickly paid the balance without blinking an eye. Anyone else switch brands and realize that another make/model of club is absolutely amazing?

0802191426.jpg

Edited by butchammon
Added a photo...

:cobra: --- older model 454 Comp, 10.5° face, reg shaft.
:ping: --- old, classic set of i3+ irons, 3W, 5W, 21° Hybrid, etc...
:odyssey:--- an old DF550 blade putter that I just can't part with!
:titleist: --- NXT Tour, DT Tru Soft, and a few prized Pro-V1's 

• 5 weeks later...

I've been a Cobra driver and fairway metal fan for years. But I never learn, I keep falling for all the hype around new drivers. I have purchased, and still have, Callaway, Ping and Cleveland drivers but I always revert back to my old King Cobra M Speed which has got to be 10 to 15 years old. Once you find a driver that works screw all the hype. I now have four drivers sitting in my garage which I don't use. I have to learn to sell on Ebay. 

Note: This thread is 1671 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!