IGNORED

Seen any great new moviews...DVD new releases??

Dub
Note: This thread is 5663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You know, I watched "No Country For Old Men" again last night.

Such a good movie. But I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out why it is such a good movie.

Beyond the typical "great acting" or "interesting story" (there are a ton of movies with one or both of those), there is something that elevates this movie. But I'll be a monkey's uncle if I can figure out what that "something" is.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beyond the typical "great acting" or "interesting story" (there are a ton of movies with one or both of those), there is something that elevates this movie. But I'll be a monkey's uncle if I can figure out what that "something" is.

I should take more time on analysis but I'm just going to give it a shot and dump it into this little box. I suspect, if I may that the draw to "No Country" is...

the idea that it turns the concept of 'good/evil' and 'protagonist/antagonist' on it's head. How are we supposed to hate an antagonist (Javier's character) that operates completely on the ideas of chance and fate? That doesn't kill out of hate, that doesn't operate on like or dislike or even vigilante morals, but rather, throws it to the gods? (Flip a coin...) Further, how are we supposed to feel about Llewellyn? A character that is totally absorbed in his own self, a protagonist dope that gets sucked into a story where he doesn't belong, and yet is absolutely essential? And lastly, how are we supposed to truly like the Sheriff (Jones) when he doesn't do anything likeable? No one dislikes him, but no one likes him, he's not the moral adoring hero of myth but just a dude doing his job. So we have an antagonist with strange (un-understandable) motives, a protagonist who's a moron and self centered, and a dude along the trail like a loyal hound. It far more parallels the real world than the typical Campbell-style story that follows all other stories and myths before it back to the ancient days. Nope, it's just a slice of about a week of life. The Coens are good at that (my hometown boys). I suspect you can see it a million times and never exactly figure it out. That's the joy. It's not the prepackaged preservatives we're usually fed. It's fate and destiny and chance, but not the greater destiny, but rather "the world doesn't really care if you live or die so are you going to sit on your bum and wait for a coin to decide" destiny. That is FAR MORE real. A shame, perhaps, but true. I think the whole story is in two scenes: the boy on his bike in the shirt scene, and the cop now in a wheelchair, shot and paralyzed.
Please forgive me if that was absolute rubbish. I lived in theater too long, and now, on occasion, I can't escape my head.

I should take more time on analysis but I'm just going to give it a shot and dump it into this little box. I suspect, if I may that the draw to "No Country" is...

Julie Please answer this question:
Cop in a wheelchair? when did that happen, and which cop?
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Julie Please answer this question:

Jones' character visits his Uncle Ellis when he's thinking about retiring, his Uncle was a former cop who's in a wheelchair because he was shot. We don't see the shooting, they just talk about it. It's one single scene

Ah, thank you!
In My Bag

5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I fail to see what could possibly be better than golf and...THESANDTRAP!

Umm... in Harry's case, flirting?

In My Bag

You're just jealous.

Again, Harry, we can read it even when you change the size and color. How many times do I have to tell you?

Dent, if you're worried about him, why'd you let him escape the closet? Now he's prob after one of those lingerie models he was gunning for. To re-rail this thread though, Harry, you never responded to my acid trip analysis. (Figurative! Don't jump to conclusions!)

Again, Harry, we can read it even when you change the size and color. How many times do I have to tell you?

I let him out for his quick monthly round, and he didn't come back, I knew he was planning this escape all along, I forgot to put on the GPS ankle bracelet!

In My Bag

Please forgive me if that was absolute rubbish. I lived in theater too long, and now, on occasion, I can't escape my head.

Nicely done, Julie... but I have to wonder if referencing Joseph Campbell on this forum will actually cause any heads to nod

Also let's not forget to credit the source material... Cormac McCarthy is a brilliant writer. Has anyone here read "The Road"? That one will gut-punch you more than a few times. I wonder who has the film rights to that?

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Nicely done, Julie... but I have to wonder if referencing Joseph Campbell on this forum will actually cause any heads to nod

Why thank you. Hehe, I will reference Campbell any time and anywhere, somebody's going to know who I'm talking about (such as yourself)!

Also let's not forget to credit the source material... Cormac McCarthy is a brilliant writer. Has anyone here read "The Road"? That one will gut-punch you more than a few times. I wonder who has the film rights to that?

You're right, I didn't credit the book. Forgot it even was a book (don't shoot!) I'll have to read him. Thanks for the tip.

The thing that elevates No Country and makes it so great is the fact that you are asking questions on an internet messageboard about it.

It makes you think.

What was the last movie that made you think?

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

Note: This thread is 5663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!