IGNORED

Raising Children in a Golf Household

rckwd
Note: This thread is 5552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good luck with the grandson. ......

Thanks

I know what you mean there. My oldest, the mother of my grandson, she is 21 now. I didnt get custody of her until she was 14. It liked to killed me when she got married and moved out. Fortunately we still have a wonder relationship. She just has left the house. She comes over about 3-4 times a week to eat supper. (her husband works 3 jobs) It is hard to see them leave but I know they will be back tomorrow.

When did he get traded to the Cubs?

You see...I couldnt go there now that Smoltzy is pitching for them...I just could bring myself to hit the "quick reply" button....but boy did I want too...LOL

When did he get traded to the Cubs?

LOL - As much as I like the Cubs, the numbers back me up. Merchandise sales and ticket sales for the Sox plus polls show the Sox as the favorite. Anyone but the Yankees is fine with me.

In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

My son is 14 years old and finishing basketball this Saturday and he has the opportunity to join the golf team next week if he chooses too. The coach has invited him and even allow him to practice with the team to see if you would fit in and feel comfortable so I am waiting to see what he does. he has played on and off since he was 7 years old.

My daughter is 8 years old and has participated in the First Tee program for 4 sessions and seems to enjoy golf but she likes volleyball a little more.

I know of others dads who brought their young kids out to the putting green and let them putt around. They immediately enjoy the experience and they can play golf all day and now they are playing tournaments at age 8 traveling and playing competitively.

The two suggestions are to putt, chip at home and let you child be exposed to the game and they will want to try it also. I also have found that if their friends takes lessons with them that its makes it more fun and you have a better chance of keeping their interested in golf.

Good luck and enjoy your kids.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Don't want my above posts to suggest my wife or me should get all the credit. One of the courses here has a junior golf program for kids of all ages, separated into age groups, and my daughters have always participated, and I agree it's important for them to also get involved with their friends at an early age (and get some instruction on swing, etiquette, etc. that doesn't come from mom or dad).

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

LOL - As much as I like the Cubs, the numbers back me up. Merchandise sales and ticket sales for the Sox plus polls show the Sox as the favorite. Anyone but the Yankees is fine with me.

Actually, the Yankees lead the league in average attendance, merchandise sales, and was voted as the most popular team in a Harris poll.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_n19345563 http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/110933 http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...attendance.htm What do you have to show that any team other than the Yankees are America's favorite team? I must say, though, that I hate John Smoltz the least of all Red Sox players. That's because I don't think of him as a Red Sox, I still think of him as a Brave.

I really hate to break up this Yanks, Sox lovefest here ... but, I am going to jump in here and say that you can add MY name to the growing list of guys whose wives are pregnant!

Just found out yesterday that come OCTOBER there we will be having our first! I am more than just a little stoked here ... our first child and a 3 WORLD SERIES FOR THE SOX ... does life get any better? I won't care about not being able to play during the winter I will be sitting back and enjoying my pretty good life!

In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

I really hate to break up this Yanks, Sox lovefest here ... but, I am going to jump in here and say that you can add MY name to the growing list of guys whose wives are pregnant!

ALLRIGHT...Congrats man!!

Yea life could get a little better...if the BRAVES won the WS!!!!!!!!

I am new here; I try to check out this forum from time to time.

I am not a very good golfer, but I enjoy it. I started playing again after my kids were in school...so I could take them along. I don't know if there is a 'best' way to start them or not. I try to let them play when and where they want to, so it is fun. Have been surprised to see that they want to hit into every water hazard and sand trap on the course. They like the difference or the challenge or the drama. They get bored on the small executive course and want to play big courses and par 5 holes. I give them some leeway with that. (they also love a good wager for ice cream) They are getting much better at the basics of etiquette and keeping play moving. Pouting is not tolerated. I started them on lessons last year, and will continue this year. We are fortunate to have a couple local courses that allow us to play informally.

At the first lesson, I brought the instructor up to date. I pointed to the 8 yr old and said, "The clubs swing him." Pointed to the 10 yr old and said "and this one thinks he's John Daly." She smiled and said "There's one like that in every group."

We have a lot of golf interest among elementary school kids we know through baseball and soccer. Thinking about starting an informal group after baseball season is over...meet 1x per week for a 30 minute group lesson with whomever shows up, then play the little practice course in small groups.

It is fun to get out of the bleachers and play with the kids.

I am new here; I try to check out this forum from time to time.

Great post Anderson!! Welcome aboard!! You will find everyone on here for the most part are very friendly and helpful. Have fun with those children and tell "Little Daly" to Grip It and Rip It!

Tim

Thanks, Tim.

Believe me, little Daly does not need much reminding to grip it and rip it.

He does benefit from an occasional (!) reminder to keep his feet still. Too much baseball. We play golf after baseball is over for the summer, for that reason.

I've got a 7 year old girl and a 3 1/2 year old girl. They both love to practice with me at the house and go with me to the course every chance they get. I think the most important thing is to keep it simple and fun. I don't try to teach them....there will be a time and place for that. But I do make them obey the rules of the game. I usually tee off and once we're approximately 100 yards out, I tee her up a ball. Once she's hit it, I take her driver and hand her an iron and tell her I'll meet her at the green. Once there, she gets her putter and waits patiently until it's her turn. Of couse, she only counts the number of putting strokes and loves it when she beats me!! She also likes to write down the score and we are working on her driving the cart.

I don't think you can ever start them too early and it is a fabulous game for young people. I just keep explaining to her that unlike a lot of other games she can play golf for the rest of her life and it's something that we can do together. If she happens to be a natural then she can take it to college.

I picked the game back up last year after basically being out of it since high school. I am 38 and have 2 girls 7 & 9... I picked this up because their mother chose to divorce me and I actually found I had time to go out with the guys and I got hooked... Now I have my girls every other weekend and since it is just me and them I want them to come with me so I got them clubs... The USKG sets are fantastic. I have been to the range about 5 times now with them and really have helped them with grip and a few things but kids will be kids and it is important that I don't coach too much I think as I want them to not feel pressure. My 9 year old likes it more than my 7 year old but my 7 year old is the tomboy... I really wish there were a First Tee program in Utah but there are no chapters here... Does anyone know of a good book on teaching kids to golf?

I picked the game back up last year after basically being out of it since high school. I am 38 and have 2 girls 7 & 9... I picked this up because their mother chose to divorce me and I actually found I had time to go out with the guys and I got hooked... Now I have my girls every other weekend and since it is just me and them I want them to come with me so I got them clubs... The USKG sets are fantastic. I have been to the range about 5 times now with them and really have helped them with grip and a few things but kids will be kids and it is important that I don't coach too much I think as I want them to not feel pressure. My 9 year old likes it more than my 7 year old but my 7 year old is the tomboy... I really wish there were a First Tee program in Utah but there are no chapters here... Does anyone know of a good book on teaching kids to golf?

Congrats on having two beautiful girls. Cherish these times because they will pass fast. I wish my girls were that age again.

Note: This thread is 5552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!