IGNORED

Metal fatigue?

MiniMoe
Note: This thread is 5494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I bought a Taylor Made Burner driver last year. My swing speed is 110 when I bust it, but averages 105. When I first got the driver, I was killing it. Now, I don't seem to hit it as far unless I really get after one and hit it really pure. A buddy of mine bought a new Burner driver and I hit it several times when playing the other day. I hit his 20 yards further than I hit mind and contact was the same. I have heard of metal fatigue, but I thought it had to do more with club face failure. Could it contribute to lost distance as well? If so, I need a new driver.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

well i'm pretty sure its possible for a club face to kinda of lose its "pop" but if ur club is only a year old, i'd be surprised if this was the case. unless u hit with it A LOT. i'm no expert tho, but maybe its even a bit of a mental thing. they say that new clubs really help a players confidence. that could always be the case.
In my Datrek Cart Bag (soon to be replaced):

Driver: Lynx 2008 Predator Ti (10.5*, Regular Flex)
Woods: Walter Hagen AWS (3 Wood)
Hybrids: Walter Hagen MS2 Hybrids w/ graphite shafts (18*, 22*)Irons: Walter Hagen MS2 Irons w/ graphite shaftsWedges: 56* Taylor Made rac w/ steel shaft ; 52* Slazenger...

How often do you play? Judging by the fact you are a +4 it's quite possible it's already lost it's "pop" since you probably play A LOT?

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Probably play 200+ rounds per year.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

• 3 weeks later...
I have a somewhat revealing story. I swing a lot with a device to measure swing speed. Mostly to check my physical conditioning, but also to work with tempo and developing effortless power. When I first got it, my driver SS was around 112, and if I really tried to kill it I would get up to 116 or so. Then one day I hit 116 and said, "I'm 6'3" and strong as a gorilla, why the hell can't I swing this thing any harder? I know I can do it." The next 5 swings were 126, 125, 127, 129, 129. All that changed was, I really let the stretch sink into my backswing for a beat, then the next thing I know, I finished my swing. I basically 'thought' faster from the top of my backswing. There wasn't a single thought in my brain from the TOS to the finish. Most of the time, I'm thinking all the way through my downswing: "Set at the top, don't stand up, start with the hips, keep the shoulders back for a second, drop the hands into the slot, keep turning with the hips, pull the club down, unhinge the wrists, throw the right side at it, keep your spine angle, keep turning....club wraps around". I'm really not kidding at all. I literally go through this thought process on most swings, which is where part of my struggles come from. I would imagine it's more likely too many swing thoughts that make you lose pop rather than mental fatigue.

Check your speed with your driver and see if it's still 105-110 without hitting a ball using a radar or a solid-state accelerometer (Medicus power-meter). That way you can see if the distance loss comes from swing speed or "pop".

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Note: This thread is 5494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!