IGNORED

How important is your ball to your game?

Note: This thread is 6505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've noticed a lot of people have their ball listed on their equipment list. But does using the same ball really affect your play? I was wondering is it more of a confidence thing or can you truly tell between a Pro V1 and a Maxfli? I use any old ball, but I have noticed I like some of the balls I've come across more than others...what's your take?

Personally I think a lot of people get caught up in the technology craze driven ball market. To add to your post I honestly do see the difference between 2 and 3 piece balls, but its important to realize there are different balls for different players within the 3 piece market. For instance, I have a slightly above average swing speed but I tend to the load the club a lot, with that in mind I can't play the ProV1 or the Nike Platinum because my spin rate becomes to hi, so with a little research and a launch monitor I now resort to a PrOV1X , the HX Tour and the Nike One Black... balls that provide distance and feel without the high spin... so before you invest find out what fits your game

in short, yes balls matter...why play with nice clubs if you're using a top flight

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

• Administrator
I've noticed a lot of people have their ball listed on their equipment list. But does using the same ball really affect your play? I was wondering is it more of a confidence thing or can you truly tell between a Pro V1 and a Maxfli? I use any old ball, but I have noticed I like some of the balls I've come across more than others...what's your take?

Not changing balls eliminates a variable. If I am used to how a Pro V1x grabs a green, and I switch to a Nike One Platinum and suddenly my sand wedge spins back 30 extra feet, I'm not happy.

Some balls are close enough to each other to be almost interchangeable, and except for the biggest differences (Pro V1 versus Maxfli Noodle, etc.), you likely have to be a single digit handicapper to strike the ball consistently enough to tell much of a difference (though it's not a solid line at "9" index, of course). Let me hit a few shots with an unmarked ball and I could get you in the right classification. I may not be able to say "Pro V1x" versus "Nike One Black," but I could tell you it wasn't the spinnier version or that it wasn't a Noodle or a DT So/Lo or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I may not be able to tell the difference between feel between a proV and proV1x but I can tell with my distance, I have a mini balloon affect with the prov1 because I am naturally a high spin player... the prov1x travels a flatter trajectory and may not hold as well as a prov1 for me but I can trust that its flying the distance I want

Daniel Duarte
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

What Titleist ball would you recommend for someone who doesn't have the swing speed for the ProV balls?

For the past several months, I've been playing the Titleist HVC Tour SF, which is only available at COSTCO. Yeah, yeah, yeah... but hey, $29 for two dozen is not a bad deal.

If you read the specifications, the ball appears to be either a hybrid or something between the DT SoLo and the NXT.

In my opinion, yes the ball makes a difference.

I've done many ball tests on my own trying to find the ones I like. I'll take 2 maybe 3 and hit a variety of shots side by side. Then I'll repeat the whole process on different days over several weeks. In my opinion that's key to repeat the whole process on different days and not back to back. After that I use a launch monitor to really narrow down my choices. Once this is all done and said I'll buy several dozen of that/those balls to use long term.

For the past 6 months I've been using the Maxfli BlackMAX, for me the performance and price is just as good or better than some top tier balls.

I'm always looking for more performance so I've started the whole process all over. Time will tell...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

about the Titleist balls... the balls you are playing now are old models of Titleist balls, hence why a wholesale company like cosco is selling them (they also sell them at walmart)....

the NXT is a pretty nice ball if you are looking for a midrange price ball, stay away from the solo... way to hard my man, you'll regret them

look into the nxt or nxt tour, can't really help you between those, its all what feels better

Daniel Duarte

Note: This thread is 6505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!