IGNORED

Pre-shot routine helps consistency and confidence

TJBam
Note: This thread is 3916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My Preshot routine is about the target and tempo. I'll stand behind the ball, identify my target, and then visualize the shot. Then I'll address the ball. After I address the ball and am aligned, I do one waggle that matches my tempo (from the tour tempo book, which I highly recommend). During the waggle, I look at the hole. My routine probably takes 15 seconds, or so. I do a practice swing or two while others are hitting.

Yeah, I play with a guy occasionally who takes forever. I'm not sure sometimes if he's fallen asleep over the ball. I wonder what they are thinking all that time?

One of the things I noted from being at the WGC this past weekend was that the pros move very quickly between shots but take a pretty long time for their pre shot routine.  I walk pretty quickly and even accounting for the crowds, ropes, etc. I had trouble following groups at times because they walked so quickly.  So, my takeaway is that if I want to play faster to take the time out of "travel time" and not routine.  Of course, easier for them - they tend to move in a straighter line than I do.

Note: This thread is 3916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!